Glock failure to feed

Glock failure to feed

This is a discussion on Glock failure to feed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range today. First time in a long time. Met ccw9mm for the first time as he lives in Oregon, too. Nice guy. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock failure to feed

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Glock failure to feed

Went to the range today. First time in a long time. Met ccw9mm for the first time as he lives in Oregon, too. Nice guy. We have a lot in common.

I was shooting my Glock 27 (subcompact 9 round magazine). I went through a few drills just using one magazine. I was a 9 round magazine as it is my EDC. I had a few extra magazines available that fit a Glock 23 (compact, 13 rounds). On one drill, I filled my 9 round magazine with 4 rounds and had a spare 13 round magazine in my pouch. I fired at three targets, three shots each which means I had to reload in the middle of the second target. For several drills, everything went fine. No failure to feeds. Then I did it again. I am not sure if I changed magazines or what, but after the reload, the gun kept failing to feed. I was using UMC 180 gr. Ball. I did the standard procedure of tapping the magazine and racking the slide. Fired another shot. Another FTF. Same procedure. Another FTF. OK, what is going on? I looked at the magazine through the open slide and nothing was unusual. I tried dropping the magazine and it was stuck. I could not release it. (I think it was because the slide was not locked back, because it was trying to feed the round.) Tapped it again, racked the slide and everything was fine. Then it worked for the rest of the day.

Any ideas? (And no, getting an XD or 1911 is not an idea. )
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

possible over-insertion of the magazine?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sometimes the G23 or G22 magazines do not work right in a G27, because the magazine gets tilted by your hand pressure around the grip, causing a misalignment at the feed ramp, and jams. The mag well is loose in a G27, and this will let the mag rock back and forth. This is why, even though the theory is good, in practice, the G27 doesn't work well with the larger mags. Not without a mag sleeve, anyway. This has always been my experience, and I've owned Glocks for a long time.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Maybe you should number all of your magazines and keep track of any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    (sic)

Any ideas? (And no, getting an XD or 1911 is not an idea. )
    You're right, but it might be a solution.

Couldn't resist.

+1 to Kenpotex and Metro 40. Try a sleeve out.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

If you look at the follower you'll see a number on it. I've had problems with failure to feed on my #7 magazines in my 23 and have since replaced them with the newer #8's. I read on either this forum or on GlockTalk that the #7's have been giving a lot of people problems with failure to feed. I'm not sure if there are issues with other Glock pistols but from what I've read it was just with the 23's.

with all other parts fitting correctly, some mag springs may weaken with lots of use,also if they are kept filled at all times. the depressed spring may weaken. causing the problem.

i've heard of others having similar issues with mags not feeding right. my suggestion would be to gets some mags made for the model you use and avoid useing mags made for a diffn't gun when you can.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

I know you said failure to feed, not extract, but: Not sure what type of extractor the Glock has, but I had an issue with my 92FS once where the extractor claw was gunked up. It wasn't part of the field strip instructions so I never thought of it (it's a bit more involved because you have to tap out a pin). Every once and a while a deep cleaning is probably a good thing.

That, and every once and a while I'll replace the recoil and mag springs with high quality springs like those from Wolff.

I'd be inclined to replace all the mag springs, the recoil spring, give it a good clean and lube and see how it goes.

It is also after things like this that you pay attention to testing the exact components (mags, ammo, lube procedures) you plan to carry.

Good luck,

-john

kpw
    Try cleaning the mags. Anything that gets in the mag can bind the follower and cause FTFs. Sounds likely because the mag worked fine later. The debris probably worked itself loose. Mark that mag and take it out of rotation until it proves itself.

H&K ...maybe lol
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    It sounds like Metro 40 Diagnosed your problem, but I would still upgrade to wolff springs if I were you. The +10% springs can make a world of difference in the magazine's reliability and longevity of service.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Sometimes the G23 or G22 magazines do not work right in a G27, because the magazine gets tilted by your hand pressure around the grip, causing a misalignment at the feed ramp, and jams. The mag well is loose in a G27, and this will let the mag rock back and forth. This is why, even though the theory is good, in practice, the G27 doesn't work well with the larger mags. Not without a mag sleeve, anyway. This has always been my experience, and I've owned Glocks for a long time.
    Ditto! I couldn't have said it better myself. I have one 10 round and one 13 round magazines for the G23 that I use in my G27 occasionally and they both have the adapter sleeve and I've worked extensively on these with my dremel tool in order to assure perfect alignment in the mag well and positive engagement with the catch.

I had FTF with my G21. After replacing the recoil spring, and mag springs, it is working 100%.

I tried Wolf +5% extra power mag springs. Till I switch back to Glock mag springs it was not reliable. All other Wolf springs work just fine
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

1911?
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links