Taurus pt140

Taurus pt140

This is a discussion on Taurus pt140 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range today. Blew the entire center out of the target with my trusty 1911. The more I shoot it the more I ...

Thread: Taurus pt140

Taurus pt140

Went to the range today. Blew the entire center out of the target with my trusty 1911. The more I shoot it the more I love it.

My dad bought a pt140 a while back but hasn't shot it. I took it with me today. I couldn't even hit the 8" targets with it and the recoil had it jumping from my hands. I stopped shooting it after one magazine. It was just too uncomfortable.

The range I was at had the target mounting point at about 20 yards and it was fixed so I was unable to bring it closer.

I haven't shot the PT140, but I do have the PT111 & the PT145 MilPro. It took me a little while to get the hang of them. I consistently shot low with both and attribute that to the Heine sights or more accurately (no pun), my unfamiarity with the sight system.

I do OK with them now. As a matter of fact, I ran 50 rounds through the PT145 on Friday. I did failure drills with about half the box of ammo and was very pleased with my shooting.

I realize you didn't have the option, but I'd suggest warming up to the pistol at 7 yards.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have a PT140 that is a safe queen. Not that the gun ever failed to function as designed, but the trigger pull is heavy on it. The recoil is stout, due primarily to the fact it is a snubby and it is a poly frame. As to your problem hitting the target at 20 yards, I wouldn't be concerned with that. The gun was never intended for shooting at that distance. At 5-10 yards the accuracy would be acceptable.
    I have come to the decision that I do not like DOA pistols. Of my 20 some guns only 2 are DOA, the PT140 and a KelTek PT140. Both are safe queens and I should probably get rid of them. Just hate to sale any of my guns....guess it's the pack rat in me!!

...two different camps I guess. All my autos are DAO...I would not have anything else. My bottom feeders must have trigger pulls just like my revolvers...I believe in uniformity of training. One of my Autos is the 2nd generation (DAO) Millennium Pro PT145...and I have to tell you, that is one sweet pocket cannon...smaller than a Glock 19. Next on my list is a Sig 220...probably the finest DAO .45 ACP ever to be made.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    A friend of mine has a PT140 -- I think it's his main carry gun... yeah the recoil is not fun. IIRC it has straight eight sights which don't help my accuracy any.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I had a pt-140 and must say that I loved the gun. It was small accurate and powerful. I never found the recoil to be excessive, and I never had a misfire or failure of any kind ( about 600 rounds). It was my main carry for 6 months, but I had this crazy notion that the Taurus was going to come apart, so I traded it on a Sig 239.

I have a PT140, and as yet, am undecided if I like it or not. Mine is the 3rd generation SA/DA. It's SA for normal shooting, but allows DA in case of misfire.

I'm shooting about 8" low, but consistent with it. I'm just not sure if I like the trigger or not. The SA trigger pull is odd with a long travel, then tightening up a bit before the short pull to fire. A few times, I've squeezed and thought I had a misfire or was out of ammo due to the tightening before the last bit of pull.

I only have about 50 rounds through, but it has functioned fine, and was a consistent shooter. I have another week or so of my 30day return on it to decide if I'm going to keep it. I picked up a S&W 637 .38 yesterday, so I really don't need it for CCW right now.

Dawg, +1 on the PT-145...
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

I have a PT140 3rd Gen and also a PT111. They are probably the best down and dirty guns I own. Small, light, easy to carry and fast to shoot. I don't worry too much about the sights because these work great at point shooting distances. Get real folks. Gunfights occur up close. These of course are carried cocked and locked even though striker fired.

You can get sights for the millenium pro here.

Taurus Millennium: PT Night Sights MMC Adjustable Sights

Also check out this sight for more info on Taurus pistols

Taurus Armed.net - Index

I actually regret getting rid of my pt140, went boom every time although the recoil is a bit rough. Sold it and got my kahr cw40 which was a mistake as the kahr doesnt go boom everytime.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    My son swears by his. He won't carry anything else.

ThreeFeathers,

I too have taught my son well. He shoots an XD45 service I bought him and shoots it very well. I have it's twin as well as my other guns. Taurus amillennium Pro is my warm weather carry in 9 or 40. My son plans on moving to Arizona this summer. I understand it is a gun friendly state. Is that right?

I first bought the PT111 MilPro and liked it so I bought the PT140 MilPro and I liked it also. Now I also own the PT145 Pro. Get my drift? All three get their equal share of Concealed carry, depending on my mood....hehehe!

With regards to aiming either one of my PT's, instead of the six o'clock hold I use and aim dead on to the target, front sight is aimed center of the bullseye.
    Last edited by exprt9; April 16th, 2008 at 03:14 PM.
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

I Carry Taurus Millennium Pro PT745 (6+1) Love It.
    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - General George Patton Jr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sponsored Links