Got to handle a Ruger SR9 Thursday

This is a discussion on Got to handle a Ruger SR9 Thursday within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our local gun shop and range has a brand new Ruger SR9 in the case and I got to handle it Thursday. All I can ...

Thread: Got to handle a Ruger SR9 Thursday

Got to handle a Ruger SR9 Thursday

Our local gun shop and range has a brand new Ruger SR9 in the case and I got to handle it Thursday.

All I can say is, the grip is amazingly thin. I had read several articles on the gun before actually holding this one and I knew it was thin but you really don't understand fully what the authors are saying until you actually have one in your hand. It's amazingly thin for a gun with a double stack mag that holds 16 rounds.

Other than that, I wasn't real impressed. It isn't that different from any other polymer framed gun except for the thinness of the grip.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I fondled one last week also and I have to agree with you, Mike. It was like a thin Glock with a thumb safety and just not that impressive. I do like the idea of having more than 8+1 but even with 2 extra 8 round mags, my single stack .45 has more grams of lead at 230 gr. per round than 2 17 round mags+1 of 115 gr. 9mm. Also, quality of placement would beat quantity of lead anyway.

On the other hand, at $529.00 it is tempting.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

kpw
    It is thin. Overall it had a decent feel. The trigger was a bit gritty and heavier than I like but, if it cleaned up easy enough, that wouldn't be much of an issue. Price was $409 and I was told it may come down a bit as supply increases. If it does, I think Ruger might sell a bunch of them.

Handled one at the gunshow yesterday; $320 at one table, $330 at another.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

accuracy is subpar though as per capt. ayoob in a recent review in guns mag. can anyone out there verify how this pistol shoots?

also, wuz up with the large price difference? 300s vs. 500s.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    accuracy is subpar though as per capt. ayoob in a recent review in guns mag. can anyone out there verify how this pistol shoots?

also, wuz up with the large price difference? 300s vs. 500s.
    I got in on the the first production run (had to buy a batch of them without even knowing what they were!). I immediately designated one of them as a range rental gun. Took it out of the box; fired two 17 round mags at a CM1 target, through a ragged hole at 7 yards. Moved the target out to 15 yards, and still kept all shots easily within the 10-ring. The trigger is nothing to write home about, but, if you can manage the trigger, the pistol certainly has mechanical accuracy potential. Anyway, I don't know about Ayoob, but I find I can do about this well with a lot of pistols that people claim are inaccurate. As for the ~$300 prices being quoted, these guns are either used, or are being liquidated at below dealer cost.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Handled one at the gunshow yesterday; $320 at one table, $330 at another.
    My bad, they were $420 & $440. (I called one of the dealers to verify the price.) I looked at so many guns yesterday the prices got kinda blurred.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    A friend of mine bought one recently, and I got to fire it when we went to the range.

It IS very, very slim.

The trigger is a bit gritty, and "stacks" fairly heavily. It's not horrible, but it's nothing like a nice 1911 trigger. Slightly less pleasant than a factory Glock trigger, for that matter.

Accuracy seemed adequate, though this particular one had the sights a bit off - point of impact was about 3" left of point of aim at 7 yards. Groups were decent, though.

Between the two of us, we went through 150 rounds, and there wasn't even ONE malfunction.

Bottom line: reliable, accurate, and concealable - but not pleasant (to me)

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I do have to say that I like how Ruger is sending these puppies out to the gun writers. You usually hear a gun rag report of a gun that was run through a custom gunsmith shop to be polished, tweaked and otherwise made to be a lot better than a stock factory model. Ruger is just ending out fresh-from-assembly guns if the trigger and sights reports are any indicator.

Links