Anybody carry a Kahr K9 or MK9?

This is a discussion on Anybody carry a Kahr K9 or MK9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at a used Kahr K9 at a local store, I was wondering who else carry's one , and what you think of it. ...

Thread: Anybody carry a Kahr K9 or MK9?

Anybody carry a Kahr K9 or MK9?

I'm looking at a used Kahr K9 at a local store, I was wondering who else carry's one , and what you think of it. I'm looking for something lighter for the summer and was thinking of getting something that might fit in a pocket holster. Can you pocket carry the K9? I'm also looking at the MK9, but the used K9 has a really good price tag.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Either may be too heavy for pocket carry. I looked at the MK9 and while it's a very nice pistol (I'd probably get a .40 in a MK though since it's heavier), IMO it's not best for pocket carry. I chose a PM9 for my pocket carry 9mm needs. I'm happy feeding it Federal HST 147g.

I carry a MK9 at times. Its OK for rear pocket carry in snug fitting jeans (slide outboard, palm toward butt draw).. as far as comfort goes, but it will never be a quick draw from there. Its very awkward to draw from there once I'm sitting down, (as in driving a car.)

I also carry it in a concealment vest, (under my left armpit) when I'm motorcycling, or when the occasion allows for a vest. This works out well, if the gun is counterballanced on the opposite side with spare magazine, wallet, keys etc...

I have tried front pocket carry in cargo pants, and it is just too heavy if you are going to do any ammount of walking. The loose pants allow the gun to much freedom of movement, and I get a sore rub in no time. I found myself walking with my hand in my pocket just to keep the gun still. I don't recomend that...

When driving the car, I find that a clip-on IWB crossdraw is best for comfort and access.

I prefer my PM9 to its Steel counterpart (MK9). The extra weight of the MK9 makes it more enjoyable to shoot, however..

I carry an MK9. It's a great little pistol, but it is too heavy for pocket carry (for me anyway). I carry mine on my belt either IWB or OWB.

I do have a pocket holster for quick trips to the store though, but that is only for brief periods of time and probably in a winter coat or something.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I just ordered a cw-9 for my wife to carry. She tried the PM-9 at a range and liked it very much.

I'm ordering a K9 in the next few days. Too heavy and big to carry in my pockets tho. Will carry in a IWB or OWB.
    Larry

I've carried a K9 for well over 10 years now. Too heavy for pocket carry, but it disappears in a good IWB holster even down here. Shorts and t-shirt year round.....

Great little gun. Mine's been absolutely reliable through 1,000's of rounds. Personally, I like the little extra weight of the steel gun in the small frame. Makes it extremely controllable in a very concealable little package.

I have a K9 and (2) MK9's. If I'm limited to only one, it will be the MK9 w/elite trigger. The standard 6 rnd mag works great for jean or coat pockets. I'll use a mag w/pierce extension for IWB or belt. I also carry a pair of 8 rnd extended mags that work w/both models.
    Woody

I personally carry the PM9. I had purchased a CW9 liking the grip and weight for practice. My husband liked the concealment in a belt carry holster and I had a hard time getting it from him, so making it easier for me to get PM. The CW, P, K series are large for pocket carry though. When I got my PM we traded the CW for a P45 that my husband loves and I like to shot it also. They are reliable and easy to care for, hogue grips are nice addition.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
    RW Emerson

NRA Member

Thanks everybody for the input, I appreciate it.

I carry a K-9. Its a Carbon Steel model that was built in 1997 and I have owned it since. I have over 30,000 rounds fired thru it. I normally change recoil spring every 3,000 rounds and at 15,000 replaced all the springs. Only failures I have had were shooter induced. As far as ammo goes majority of it was Federal +P+ 124 HydroShok and NATO 124 grain. I have been using Federal 147 HST the last few years since I retired from training. I carry my Kahr about 85% of the time and the other 15% of the time I use my J frame in an ankle rig. I am picking up a MK9 later this year due to wife wants my J Frame for her use.

I carry a PM9 (bought new in Jan08) and love the little thing. Fed HST in the 147gr flavor seem to be it's favorite treat.... next to Blazer Brass that is.
    If Guns cause Crime, then Pencils cause Misspelled words.....

NE CCW
    Nebraska Concealed Carry

Steel vs. polymer Kahrs

The Kahr K9 and MK9 are great carry guns, but are a little heavy for pocket carry as their weights run in the 25 ounce range empty. They are dimensionally small enough to fit into a front pocket, however. The polymer versions P9 and PM9 are probably better in the pocket.

But for IWB belt carry the steel Kahrs are excellent, as they are very thin, about 0.90 inches across the slide with grips only slightly larger than that. The steel Kahrs are very easy to shoot well because of their weight, and have a better reputation for reliability than the polymer Kahrs. Here is my MK9:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links