Ruger SR9

Ruger SR9

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My New Ruger SR9 comes in tommorow and i am excited. This Gun May be my new EDC. 17 rounds in each Mag and it ...

Thread: Ruger SR9

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Ruger SR9

My New Ruger SR9 comes in tommorow and i am excited. This Gun May be my new EDC. 17 rounds in each Mag and it is lighter than I thought. I currently carry a XD 40 service.
    Wonder if anyone outhere has one yet. Positives and negatives on the gun are encouraged. Let me know

Congrats on the recent purchase! I don't have any Rugers but I'm sure others here will chime in.

Enjoy!
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I have an SR9. I'm taking it out this weekend, weather permitting.
    Robert John Stewart, The Lost King of Scotland

Just bought mine this past Saturday and had it out on the range this morning. It will be my EDC, and will also be used for IDPA.

100 rounds of Winchester WB without a hitch. Mine is in the 16xxx serial number range and has the new mags and mag catch. I did not need to use the mag loader at all. I only used it once just to say I did. It now sits in the box with the mag disconnect. I was able to load both mags to capacity the first attempt.

Trigger will take some getting used to for me. I shot my most recent IDPA matches with a borrowed 1911, so the striker-fired action is new to me. Still, my trigger is very smooth. Bit of take up, a faint click, then a crisp break, and positive reset. I'm sure my accuracy will improve once I get used to the trigger.

Thus far, mine has none of the issues that have come up so far: difficult to load mags, peening on barrel hood, rust on cam block.

I just need to order a Crossbreed for it, another mag (for IDPA), and put a whole mess of rounds through it.

Oh, woe is me :)

-JT

Is there a Laser for The Ruger SR9?

Is there a Laser for The Ruger SR9?

You don't need anything SR9-specific...pretty much any handgun laser designed for a Picatinny rail mount should work.

-JT

Picked up one Friday and started the breakin Sunday. Natural (to me) pointer, very low recoil impluse and appears to be reasonably accurate. kept all 100 rounds in the center of a IDPA target at 7 yards. These were primarily moderately fast singles and doubles from the draw. The trigger is not that bad, about like my XD, sure beats the Sigma I had rented.

The downside is the thumb safety, easy to take off, hard to put back on safe without turning the weapon slightly in the hand and using the tip of the thumb to push upwards. I had been warned of this by a friend, who also says that it will get better with time and usage.

Lighter than my K9 when unloaded and just a tad heavier with 17 rounds of 124 gr Golden Sabers. The grip are slimmer than my 1911s, XD's, even the K9. I think when I finish breaking her in she will become my primary OWB carry in cool weather. Interestly she fits perfectly in a holster that Jim Spiedel made for my XD 4 inch.

Trigger will improve with use, as will the thumb safety. My slide release is still a bear to manipulate.

-JT

Sponsored Links