Stoeger Cougar- Opinions II?

This is a discussion on Stoeger Cougar- Opinions II? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search and did find a few Stoeger Cougar threads but they all closed and short. I recall reading an article awhile back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I did a search and did find a few Stoeger Cougar threads but they all closed and short. I recall reading an article awhile back about the Stoeger Cougar. Don't recall what the Beretta & Stoeger connection is. If it is a subsidy of Beretta or what. But the article did made a point of letting the reader know that the Stoeger Cougar is exactly the same as the Beretta Cougar made with the same tooling and equipment that was shipped to Turkey from Italy, including the original Berreta Cougar shop foremen or whatever to get the plant off on the right foot. Supposedly resulting in the same gun as the original. I know a few of you have Cougars Berretas and Stoegers. They have been around for a few years. So what do you all think of them? Accuracy, reliability, durability, availability of parts and after market. Anyone have a Beretta to compare to a Stoeger? Any thoughts input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Beretta owns Stoeger Industries. The Stoeger Cougar is exactly the Beretta 8400 Cougar, but made in Turkey by Stoeger Industries. It is entirely the exact same gun, but labor costs in Turkey are less than the previous country, so they are cheaper to make and that cost savings is passed on to the consumer.

Beretta 8400 Cougar parts and mags will interchange.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

All warrenty and service work is supposed to be done in Maryland at the Beretta facility there, that is where the warrenty is registered at also. It is the same gun as the Beretta.
    I have the Stoeger 8000F and simply love it, never a misfire or any problem with Remington, Federal AE, Magtec, or Spear Gold Dots, and easy recoil and accurate also.
    Last edited by jeeper; February 25th, 2008 at 08:35 AM.

it is basically the same as its Beretta cousin. i have the 8040 version of the cougar bought for the price and its Beretta heritage. it did not disappoint. i remember reading a post in some blog on how this shooter interchange Beretta and Stoeger parts w/o problems.

the only problem i have had is that when I bought the 11 round .40 sw mags... it would not drop free from the cougar but the 10 rounds mags the pistol came with did drop freely. if anybody out their in the collective can remedy this problem... sure would appreciate any input.

the pistol is priced well, accurate, and overall a good pistol.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

I have a 9mm cougar. My only semiauto pistol before this was the Glock 19

When I first started breaking this gun in, it seemed pretty inaccurate and kicked a lot. I was sure something was wrong. After a few hundred rounds and getting used to the differences (the rotating barrel mechanism) its SUPER accurate and the springs softened and is much smoother. Im amazed. This thing shoots like a dream and I love the DA for safety of concealed carry. Im not as nervous carring this one pointed at my gonads as I was with the G19

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    This thing shoots like a dream and I love the DA for safety of concealed carry.
    Thnaks all, I've read that the rotating barrel makes a pistol exceptionally accurate out to a 100 yards. And everything I am reading makes it look like the Cougar is the precursor to the Beretta Storm. Functionally they appear the same, ergonomics / appearance appear to be the main differences. That and the Cougar is aluminum, while the Storm is polymer. The more I read the more attractive the Stoeger Cougar becomes, that why I asked you all. My wife has been looking at the Storm as a EDC option, this looks like a way better deal. Anyone ever compare a Storm to a Cougar? Also about the recoil, How does the .40 feel like compared to a tilt barrel .40 or 9mm?

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I didnt shoot the .40 but on my 9, break in was rough *at first* It kicked hard with the stiff new springs when I got it, but stay with it. It will soften up very nicely.

I read a couple of positive online tests of the Stoeger Cougar. I know one was gunsandammomag.com but cant remember the other but both tests were good. I will own one eventually.

Administrator
    It might be a good gun, but it is an oddball... Good luck with parts and holsters etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Part of why I am asking. But curious as to why do you think its an oddball? It appears from the responses here that for all practical purposes it is a Beretta. Far as I know Beretta service is excellent. Being a Beretta parts should not be a real big issue. At least not any worst than getting parts for my XD. They have gone up $100 in price in the last year, which does support the idea that they are well received by those that buy them.
    Last edited by LongRider; February 26th, 2008 at 08:15 PM.

aji
    Have both 9mm and .40. Both guns are excellent out of the box regarding reliability and accuracy. Took about 100-150 rounds thru each to smooth out. Highly recommend.

Seems to me that I read somewhere the Stoeger guns are made on the same machines used by the parent company...that they simply shipped their machinery to a cheaper labor market. Is that what you guys remember?

My brother just got one in .40 and I have to say that it seems very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCartwright View Post
    Seems to me that I read somewhere the Stoeger guns are made on the same machines used by the parent company...that they simply shipped their machinery to a cheaper labor market. Is that what you guys remember?
    Exactly, what I was asking in my OP Seems that is the correct info.
    Was at Borders today and looked at a history of Beretta that did confirm that the Cougar is in fact the predecessor to the Storm the primary difference being the Storm has the modular grip / back strap and is tupperware (like my XD).
    For those of you that have the Cougar how hard is it to work the slide? That is an ongoing problem for my wife on her XD.45 She can get her done but she does not like how much effort it takes for her to do it. Anyway that is a consideration.

Administrator
    I say they are oddball because its not a common gun. Yeah, it is a Beretta and I'm sure the quality is good etc... but go into your local gun shop and try to buy a couple of extra mags, or lets say you want to pick up a cheap Fobus holster to get you by until your leather is made... You will understand then.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links