USPc or G23

USPc or G23

This is a discussion on USPc or G23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i currently have a USPc .40 and can get a .357 for $500 new or a G23 for around the same price. i like the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPc or G23

USPc or G23

i currently have a USPc .40 and can get a .357 for $500 new or a G23 for around the same price. i like the idea that HK will be exactly the same as my normal ED carry gun and i also like the idea of getting a glock. the barrels in the .40 and .357 are interchangable in the HK's also... what would you guys do?

(no, i can't afford them both so don't bother saying "get them both")

Administrator
    If you area lready carrying the HK platform, I'd go for the USPc... although I do think the Glock is a better all around gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had a USPc in .40 for a number of years and I would do it all over again if I wanted to get into .40 again, I have since sold all my .40s and replaced them with .45s.

Given the choice, for me the USP wins, largely because I like the mag release better and the hard safety. It looks enough like a Glock that if a BG got ahold of it and tried to shoot me he would likely get hemmed up by the safety which would give me the extra little bit to take control again.

CPTD

I like the HK USP and the Glock alot, I almost bought a G23 but got a G19 instead. Both very good guns but if you already have one USP I would stick with that. That way there is no mistake when your under pressure on what you have to do to operate the weapon.
    Glock Perfection
    "A right not used is a right lost" -Unknown

i carry decocked with no safety (Var. 3)... fit and finish i like the HK much better then the glocks. i hated glocks at first because i shot a friends G17 which seemed too big for my hands, though i shot it very wel. that fact always lingered and was why i was thinking of getting one.

i'll definately be getting a glock, just depends on when lol. i'm leaning towards the usp as of right now. thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by cptd View Post
    I had a USPc in .40 for a number of years and I would do it all over again if I wanted to get into .40 again, I have since sold all my .40s and replaced them with .45s.
    i really want the HK45c... :D but at over $900 (after ffl/shipping fees) it's waaay out of my budget. suppose i could look at the USPc.45 but it's quite a bit more.

how is the .357 sig round anyway? i've nver really looked into it much, but i do know that many LE agencies carry it. then again, many carry the 9mm, .40, and .45!!!

I'd stay in the same platform if it was me. Although I think you get more gun for the money with the Glock 23 over the USPc.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by TheSamurai View Post
    i carry decocked with no safety (Var. 3)... fit and finish i like the HK much better then the glocks. i hated glocks at first because i shot a friends G17 which seemed too big for my hands, though i shot it very wel. that fact always lingered and was why i was thinking of getting one.

i'll definately be getting a glock, just depends on when lol. i'm leaning towards the usp as of right now. thanks guys.
    That is why I bought the G19 instead of the G17, it felt to big and aquard for me to carry reguarly. The G19 was a better fit for me than the 17 or the USP compact I shot.
    Glock Perfection
    "A right not used is a right lost" -Unknown

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I would go with a glock 23

VIP Member
    As to the .357 Sig round - it is basically a VERY hot 9mm or a moderate .357 Magnum load, depending on how you look at it. It has a lot of benefits and seems to be a perfectly good self defense round. However, it is relatively hard to find, and is MUCH more expensive than 9mm or even .40S&W. Also, it tends to be loud and snappy, and has a pretty significant muzzle flash. These are minor considerations for many folks, but there they are...

And, like most folks, I consider the G23 to be the better bang for the buck, but since you already carry the HK platform I see no compelling reason to switch.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    As to the .357 Sig round - it is basically a VERY hot 9mm or a moderate .357 Magnum load, depending on how you look at it. It has a lot of benefits and seems to be a perfectly good self defense round. However, it is relatively hard to find, and is MUCH more expensive than 9mm or even .40S&W. Also, it tends to be loud and snappy, and has a pretty significant muzzle flash. These are minor considerations for many folks, but there they are...
    Imo, the .357SIG doesn't do anything that 135gr. .40S&W rounds do already for a cheaper cost.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    You'll get no argument from me on that one, Sammy. But, variety is the spice of life, no?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I'd stay in the same platform if it was me. Although I think you get more gun for the money with the Glock 23 over the USPc.
    they're the same price... that's one of the reasons i was leaning towards the USP... hell, it's about $160 off the normal price.

Glock's are great... and you can buy a Lone Wolf drop in barrel for only $100 for either a .357sig, .40S&W or 9mm conversion barrel - all of which you can shoot lead through.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    You'll get no argument from me on that one, Sammy. But, variety is the spice of life, no?
    Maybe when I'm independantly wealthy. :)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSamurai View Post
    they're the same price... that's one of the reasons i was leaning towards the USP... hell, it's about $160 off the normal price.
    Didn't catch the price part. In your situation I'd stay with the same platform anyway. Unless you really want to change. And even with the same price, I'd still say the Glock is more pistol for the money. I'm biased though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links