Ruger semi auto impressions

This is a discussion on Ruger semi auto impressions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey there. Kinda new here so bear with me. I have a few Ruger wheel guns, and I really like them. Reliable, accurate, and solid. ...

Thread: Ruger semi auto impressions

Hey there. Kinda new here so bear with me.

I have a few Ruger wheel guns, and I really like them. Reliable, accurate, and solid.

Now the question is...

I'll be able to get my CCW in about a year (have to be 23 in MO) and I'm looking for a good semi-auto. I've got a couple Blocks already, (a 19 and 23) but I'm looking for something a little different. As I stated, I really like my Ruger wheel guns. How do you all like their semi autos?

What are your impressions of the P90 and P95? I might also consider the SR9, which I've read a few reviews of already. I coundn't find too much about the other two models.

I'd like to know what you think about their reliability, accuracy and concealability. I'll probably be carrying appendix IWB if it makes a difference. I haven't decided between 9mm or .45 yet...

Kinda vague I know, but thanks in advance for input. (oh... the budget seems to be ruling out a Sigs for now. )
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

JD
    Administrator
    The Ruger Autos are kind of bulky for AIWB IMHO. I personally wouldn't want to try it.

The general consensus on the Ruger autos is that they are big, heavy, bulky, but very reliable.

I'd probably stick w/ your G19, even then I think AIWB might be a hard thing to conceal, but it all depends on your body type and style of dress.

Thanks... I'll have to find a place around here that carries them, as there are not a lot of gun shops in my immediate area. I'm not too worried about dress, I have a SP101 that I can pocket carry at work when I've gotta tuck in, but I think I'll go IWB, either appendix or around the 4:30-5:00 position, when I don't have to tuck in my shirt.

Do you know how the bulk would compare to the g19?

JD
    Administrator
    G19
    Length: 6.85"
    Width: 1.18"
    Weight Empty: 20.99oz
    Height: 5"

Ruger P95
    Length: 7.25"
    Width: N/A
    Weight Empty: 27oz (website tech data does not specify loaded or unloaded)
    Height:N/A

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Spenser......I also believe in supporting my local shop. Big disparity in price sometimes forces me to look online. There are several very reputable dealers online with reasonable shipping. The question then becomes will your dealer accept shipments and at what price.

Check these out:

Buds Gun Shop (updated hourly)

CDNN Sports, Inc.

SOUTHEASTERN GUN COMPANY

The first two are very responsive by telephone. The latter has strange phone hours, but the staff is lightning fast with email response. SE Gun doesn't have anything to look at online, but if you know what you want, send an email and you'll get a response quickly. I just bought my Taurus 1911 from SE Guns w/ $10 shipping and an incredible price. As I said earlier, I like to support my local shop. My Taurus 1911 sells locally for $660. I bought it from SE Guns for $475! Add $10 shipping and $25 to receive - it worked out in my favor.

You always have gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com as alternatives....
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The P-series Rugers are generally too blocky and bulky for comfortable concealed carry for most people. The SR9 is nice and slim, light, and has 17+1 capacity, unless you live in a silly state.

-JT

Thanks for the info... I'll prolly just have to hold out until I can actually hold one, and see if their bulk will be a problem. There is a local shop in Hannibal owned by an awesome guy, and while he doesn't have much in stock, he will order just about anything you want. Everytime I go in there we usually end up talking about guns for a good 45 minutes. He is also a CCW instructor. It seems like a lot of folks here like to carry sigs, so I might end up just saving a little extra. That monetary gift we're recieving from the government should help with that.

I have long said that for the money the Ruger autos are the best gun value on the market all around...for someone hwo jsut has to have a gun but not a lotof mone to spend. If you like them, get it. However it is difficult to conceal and heavy. I would go with one of your Glocks and use the extra money for ammo and a high quality concealment rig.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I don't like the rugers due to very bulky and long trigger pull then excess slack in trigger for next shot

VIP Member
    I agree, if you have two Glocks already, you will be hard pressed to find any improvements in the Rugers. They are fine weapons, for the most part, but heavy and bulky and with less-than-ideal triggers. (Caveat - I don't know much at all about the SR9, and have no personal experience with them). If you have a few hundred extra bucks around, I would spend it on a good training course and the necessary ammo - I believe that will serve you much better in the long run than a new - and not really improved - pistol will.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have the P90. It is a great range gun and fun to shoot, but a bit on the large side. I have had my on the new SR9, they feel good in the hand. Since they are still newly out - the prices around here have been too high - pushing the $500 mark. Should be able to pick one up new for around $400 + or - a few $$. In my opinion you will be hard pressed to find anything better than the Glock - maybe smaller or thinner - but not more reliable.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I will now do an impression of a Ruger semi-auto:

"BANG! BANG! BANGBANGBANG!!! BANGBANG!! BANG! BANG!"

Thank you. I'll be here all week!

P.S. The Ruger P-345 is very accurate, nowhere near as brick-like as the P-8x/P-9x series, but it doesn't fit my hand as well as my SIG.
    What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say? Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Have you seen the new Ruger LCP yet? 380 ACP, Ultra-light, compact carry pistol weighs only 9.4 ounces in Ruger's smallest pistol frame with a height of 3.6 inches and a width of just .82 inches. It should be available in mid March. See it here...Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

Sponsored Links