Shooting low with Big Dot sights.

This is a discussion on Shooting low with Big Dot sights. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got my big dot sights mounted, this last week and got out to the range yesterday. I formed the lollipop that is presented ...

Thread: Shooting low with Big Dot sights.

Shooting low with Big Dot sights.

I finally got my big dot sights mounted, this last week and got out to the range yesterday. I formed the lollipop that is presented on XS's website
    http://www.xssights.com/pix/sightimages.gif and also here Shooting Illustrated's Guns and Hunting - NRA

Well after I was done shooting I was consistantly 4-6" below the point of aim. I covered the target with the dot and cradled it. I called XS and they said I was doing everything correctly and I had the correct rear and front sight setup, 0.340 in the back for commander slide sized 1911's(mine is a CCO formate springer, 4" barrel).

Has anyone had any issues with these before? I have only used 3dots but I really like the wedge setup of this sight.

2. Remove Ads

What distance were you shooting at? I find I hit better if I take the rear "I" and make it touch the tritium dot in the center of the front site.
    'It ain't over 'til the fat barrel sings.'

Quote Originally Posted by dkd83 View Post
    What distance were you shooting at? I find I hit better if I take the rear "I" and make it touch the tritium dot in the center of the front site.
    This was at 7 yards. My gunsmith says this is normal and has something to do with my grip.

Quote Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
    This was at 7 yards. My gunsmith says this is normal and has something to do with my grip.
    I'm assuming it shot to POA with the original sights? If so, then I'd have to say your gunsmith might be wrong

Cloudpeak

Low at 7 yards should be correct for a 25 yard zero, IIRC.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Senior Moderator
    This is actually VERY common with the XS sights from what I've seen.

I have never had one person pick up my Kimber (with XS sights on it) and shoot POA their first couple of magazines through the gun. They ALL shoot low. And a LOT of people have shot my Kimber. It has gotten to the point where I have to really encourage people not to get discouraged when they shoot low because everyone does it.

I've had at least eight people shoot my Kimber, some of them trained bullseye shooters and they all shoot low to start with.

I believe (and this is just Lima theory here) that they are all still trying to "line up" the rear sites with the top of the front sight to the top sides of the rear sight, or at least get them as close as possible.

No need.

Quite literally, put that dot exactly where you want your bullet to go, don't worry about your read sight other than to get it lined up for windage, and press the trigger.

I've seen some of the best shooters I've ever known shoot low with my gun but they all get FABULOUS groups. You do have to adjust just a little to the sights and get used to not getting that whole site picture.

It looks kind of odd to see that big dot just sitting up there for all the world to see, but once you get used to it you find your groups are right where you want them, every time.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by stmcelroy View Post
    Low at 7 yards should be correct for a 25 yard zero, IIRC.
    That's your "check." Fire at 7, 15 and 25 yards. Roughly, using the same sight picture (cover the target), your groups should be low/dead-on/low. You can rest on a small sandbag and fire 3 shot groups to minimize any "throwing" you may be doing.

Had same issue with my Kimber UC w/ XS sights. Took quite an adjustment of sight alignment at 50ft. Initially, shooting 6-8 inches below POA. Much different than the Mepros/Trijicons I am accustomed too.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    Had same issue with my Kimber UC w/ XS sights. Took quite an adjustment of sight alignment at 50ft. Initially, shooting 6-8 inches below POA. Much different than the Mepros/Trijicons I am accustomed too.
    How did you adjust to the XS sights?

Quote Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
    How did you adjust to the XS sights?
    Have to aim higher. Put that dot further above the line. They are definitely different. I think they are real good for fast sight acquisition at combat distances, but I'd have a hard time with them in a shooting competition. I don't see myself putting them on any other guns. I tend to prefer Mepro's with green front/yellow rear contrast.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Links