Next Gun Poll

This is a discussion on Next Gun Poll within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kahr PM9 and a Keltec P3AT. I am in the market for a new carry gun and wanted to assess the popularity ...

View Poll Results: If you were me (with what I currently have) which gun would you buy next?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kahr PM40 - Same size as PM9 but is a 40 that much more powerful than my 9?

11 9.17%
  • Kahr PM 45 - smallest 45 out there I can find.

18 15.00%
  • Taurus 745B - cheapest gun of the bunch.

8 6.67%
  • Walther PPK - always loved the look

11 9.17%
  • Glock 27 - Reliability but if a go 40, mine as well go 45??

29 24.17%
  • Glock 36 - thinner than G30 but read some bad comments on it.

14 11.67%
  • Glock 30 - relaibility but is it too big to carry (largest of the bunch

16 13.33%
  • Kahr Mk 40 - stainless to help recoil but again not sure of 40

13 10.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Gun Poll

Next Gun Poll

I have a Kahr PM9 and a Keltec P3AT.
    I am in the market for a new carry gun and wanted to assess the popularity of the models I am considering.

My first stipultation is I am looking for a compact carry gun. Given that I already have the PM9, I am looking at either a .40 or .45. The Walther is in there becuase I have always thought they were the coolest. I am very attracted to the Glock reputation of reliability but worried about the size as I have handled them and they seem chunky to carry. If I carried any of them above, I would use an IWB holster and not pocket carry, as I have other stuff in my pockets.

My concer with the 40 calibers is that is really THAT much more powerful than my 9mm?? I naturally figuered a .45 is a significant setup up in knockdown power over the 9mm, but maybe I am not correct in that assumption.

Given what I have, which gun would you buy next if you had what I currently have (PM9, P3AT)??

2. Remove Ads

How about a G36? If you can settle on having 7 rounds at your disposal not including extra mag. I fondled one at the most recent gun show. IMO---nice. I had my mind set on the G19 though and got that a week later. The G36 might be next though.

kpw
    Glocks carry easy and the 27 is a sweet option. I carried one for 8 years. It's tough to beat 10 rounds of .40 in a very shootable package. I don't have one right now but I still keep all my holsters and spare mags for it. I like the 30 & 36 a lot, too.

My G27 is my anytime carry. What bad things have you heard about the G36? Maybe I'm out of the loop on this, but if I'm seriously thinking about that model, I'd want to know. Then we could work on dispelling the myths or finding the facts. Thanks

I love my G-30. I carry it when ever I'm not sleeping, that means I carry wile lazing in the recliner or doing anything and I don't even know I have it on most of the time. I carry @ 4:00 o-clock in a good leather IWB and belt.
    I would much rather have a higher capacity in 45acp.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Sorry, nothing on your list compares to the power and ease of carry like a thin midsize 1911 carried IWB in a good holster/belt combo.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Assistant Administrator
    I didn't vote but - leaving cost aside ... I'd have voted for a SIG 239.

As it is - and if size can be dealt with by concealment options ... G30.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I am very attracted to the Glock reputation of reliability but worried about the size as I have handled them and they seem chunky to carry.
    Have you checked out the new Glock Model 30SF? It may feel less "chunky" in your hands. I have small hands, but I like the feel of a Model 30. The short-frame model may be just the ticket for which you're looking. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I had to go with the Grock 30, out of that bunch. The most accurate of all Grocks and as small as I can reliably put hits on target; it's by far their most impressive and attractive offering. Perhaps the only...

Otherwise, I'd find my solution in the numbers 1-9-1-1.;)
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

None of the above. You're covered on concealed carry for the moment. Covered enough that is to take a break and acquire a quality .22 handgun. If a fellow has more than two handguns one of them should be chambered for the .22 Long Rifle. For economy and for sharpening the handgun shooting skills there's nothing better. Get a .22 pistol and shoot the hooey out of it. You'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Sorry, nothing on your list compares to the power and ease of carry like a thin midsize 1911 carried IWB in a good holster/belt combo.
    I agree. I'm a big Kahr fan, but if I were you, with what you currently have, I'd be looking at a 4" 1911 .45......maybe an alloy frame.

Heck, as long as I'm spending your money.....let's call it a Wilson Combat CQB compact. Alloy, black on grey. Mmmmmmmm

Something larger

With your P3AT and PM9 you have pocket guns, .380s and 9mms pretty well covered. I think you need a compact belt gun in .40 or .45. Of your list I voted for the Glock 36 because it is very concealable and a .45.

But if I had a blank slate in your situation I would probably go for a Sig P239 in .40. Although this gun is larger and heavier than some .40 alternatives, it is much easier to shoot well because of its weight and good trigger. But it is quite concealable and holds 7+1 rounds, which I think is adequate.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    quit buying guns, and go buy your wife/gf/nice lady friend a nice dinner and some jewlery.

JK that was blasphemous. Glock baby. Do it, do it. Any glock will do, but i voted 30. I got the g17 b/c, to be honest, even the full size glocks are tiny and easily concealed, and recoil is lower and the sight radius is longer. Enjoy your new glock.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

You want a serious defensive carry gun ? That means ubber reliable in a very respectable caliber and in a very concealable package. The most optimal choice in my opinion is the Glock 27 in .40 caliber. Best realibility with a larger projectile = more target material disruption plus 10 rounds on board. The best of all worlds in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    I had to go with the Grock 30, out of that bunch. The most accurate of all Grocks and as small as I can reliably put hits on target; it's by far their most impressive and attractive offering. Perhaps the only...

Otherwise, I'd find my solution in the numbers 1-9-1-1.;)
    Do they sell Grocks in Japan?
    Sorry, couldn't resist...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links