Squeeky Glock?

This is a discussion on Squeeky Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO i just bougth my first brand new handgun, a g17, but when i rack the slide it is sort of squeeky (metal agianst metal ...

Thread: Squeeky Glock?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Squeeky Glock?

SO i just bougth my first brand new handgun, a g17, but when i rack the slide it is sort of squeeky (metal agianst metal sounding) so i lubbed it up a LITTLE bit, and it didn't go away... do new guns just need a while to break in before the parts are perfeclty flush and i get that nice clean sound? Or do i need to be seeing a glock armoer asap?
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

You may be hearing the recoil spring/rod. Also---see if the slide contacts the frame on either side--where the slide rails are. New Glocks come pretty well oiled up from the factory IMO. Any new pistol needs some form of break-in period. You can call Glock if you have any tech questions. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to explain. 1-770-432-1202

Give it a couple hundred rounds then a good cleaning ........ that might clear it up.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

yep, recoil spring/rod.

You won't hear it while firing, perfectly normal.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have been thru several of the Glock Armorer schools including their advanced class. This is normal in a new Glock. It will go away in time. Break in time will be somewhere around 500 rounds but have aways enjoyed Glocks more when they hit the 1,000 round mark.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Shoot it and it will go away.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Sounds like recoil springs to me..........pretty normal...but they go bang every time you pull the trigger.............if you still have trouble with the noise.......just send that gun to me and I'll use earplugs in my ears...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    thank guys, its just my new baby, and it was coughing so i thought it was deathly ill kinda thing. Off to the range!
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Sounds like recoil springs to me..........pretty normal...but they go bang every time you pull the trigger.............if you still have trouble with the noise.......just send that gun to me and I'll use earplugs in my ears...
    Always willing to help out ain't ya!!!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    thank guys, its just my new baby, and it was coughing so i thought it was deathly ill kinda thing. Off to the range!
    Nope, just a little cold from being a newborn. Feed her a few hundred rounds and it will go away and feel much better.

Have never heard any sounds from mine, but I would not worry about it. You might want to find a Glock Armory class to go to... I went to one last month and learned so much about the internal workings of the Glock...

WOW what a Gun!!!
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

It never really goes away with the stock recoil spring assembly. I've got a G34 I've put 9600 rounds through since June of last year and it still squeaks, although not as loudly as it did when new. In my experience, the only Glocks that don't have squeaky springs are the sub-compacts. Something about that dual recoil spring assembly keeps them from making noise.

Don't worry about it, just shoot the thing :).

Links