"Broke Down" & bought a KelTec P3AT

This is a discussion on "Broke Down" & bought a KelTec P3AT within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after an arguement with myself for the past year, I finally broke down and bought a KelTec P3AT. After obtaining my CWP, I really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Broke Down" & bought a KelTec P3AT

"Broke Down" & bought a KelTec P3AT

Well, after an arguement with myself for the past year, I finally broke down and bought a KelTec P3AT.

After obtaining my CWP, I really wanted to find a pistol that I could carry at work. That has not necessarily been an easy task considering I own and operate my own small landscaping business and many days I am out "in the trenches" with the rest of the crew. On top of that, it gets pretty darned hot here in the summer & shorts and light weight shirts are a necessity.

I have tried several different pistol/holster combinations, but nothing has been just right. Carrying my USP40c or even my newest addition, the Sig P250c, can be quite cumbersome during a full day of manual labor. Even my PT145 MilPro or Glock 27 hasn't been right for every occasion. I've eyed the KelTecs for a while and just couldn't quite get over the thought that it/they just look too cheap to be reliable. After searching the forum here and reading the numerous positive posts on the P3AT's, I finally took the plunge.

So, "Lil' Kel" came home with me today. I won't be able to hit the range until Friday to break her in. I'm confident that we'll warm up to each other fairly quickly though & I'll certainly feel better leaving the house in the mornings!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

There's nothing quite like it for size/cartridge capability. Well, Ruger just pretty well duplicated it recently. I'm no fan at all of double action only but the P3AT certainly beats the .25 I used to carry for deep concealment. I pondered the P3AT for a year before I purchased one. Then had a time gaining reliability from it. Now it's fine and has a niche in my wardrobe.

I've got my P3AT tucked in my business casual slacks right now. It is the only way I can carry at work. It is not as comforting as my .45 but it is better than a stapler. I have about 300 rounds through it and the last 100 were Federal HP's...no problems with fmj or hp.

I have a belt clip on mine and it hides under the waistband of my slacks. I recommend the belt clip if you must carry concealed. You may want to clean it often as lint builds up in places that will surprise you. I do not have any experience with the effects of sweat but would think that it would be a problem when working outside in the summer time as a landscaper.

It is a nice little gun. Be safe.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

i carry my p3at in a desantis nemisis best pocket holster/gun combo ive found for me needs.
    Well hell yes its dangerous if it wasnt i wouldnt be carrying it!
    Beretta PX4 40sw
    SR9
    PF9
    Sig mosquito 22
    Keltec p3at

Congratulations, on your new purchase. The P3At is a great pistol (despite what some others have posted) just make sure and keep Lil' Kel clean, I clean my P3's after 50 rounds and I never have problems. You might want to check out the Grandfather Oak neck Holster for another carry option, and Corbon DPX ammuntion has put up some great numbers out of the P3At you might want to check that out too. Shoot Straight... Moondo

They definately have a place and I carry one often when I have no other options. I will soon be switching to a Ruger because the Dept that I reserve with has a contract with them and they will be issued, but I will still keep my Kel-Tec close.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    I do not have any experience with the effects of sweat but would think that it would be a problem when working outside in the summer time as a landscaper.
    Yea, the sweat issue was another reason that I didn't get a P3AT sooner. I know that I'll have to be vigilant keeping it clean and sufficiently lubed but I'd rather do that than be "naked"!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

I've had mine for over five years...not a fun gun at the range, but it ALWAYS goes boom. A great gun for the pocket...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Saturday morning you will wake up and realize you have a new best friend---Lil- Kel.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    If you need a cheap pocket holster in a hurry, a local store might have an Uncle Mike's 'Sidekick' in a size 1. It's just big enough and does the job for about $12 IIRC.

Mine seems to shrug off sweat. I do wipe it down with a RIG rag but still, it is exposed.

Also, contrary to most, I find the P3AT has less perceived recoil than most .380 pistols I've fired through the years.

Lessons learned from p3at:1) clean & lube it after each firing session.2) don't use Wolf ammo in it.3) firm grip.4) try a rubber slip on grip. 5) enjoy and hopefully be amazed by it.

I have a Kel-Tec P-32 which has the same grip as your P3AT. Once you get used to the sights and trigger pull, you'll love it! I have both of the holsters mentioned above and both work very well. The DeSantis Nemises is a pocket holster and the Uncle Mikes Sidekick #1 is for iwb. I also use Kel-Tecs belt clip. You do not have to remove the clip with either holster.
    Lots of useful information can be found on these two sites: KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group, (The Kel-Tec Owners Group) and The Kel-Tec Range, (The Kel-Tec Range). Enjoy your little pocket pal.

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

I love mine, and have been instrumental in another person getting one....and my wife is next.

Do the fluff and buff on it first. Will help it break in faster and shoot smoother out of the box. Shoot the crap out of it before you trust it, at least 2-300 rds. My PF-9 had the hammer spring break after 50-rds and I've heard of P3AT's doing it too. If the spring's bad, it should break fairly quickly. IF the hammer spring breaks, you are dead in the water. Not good on a carry piece. My P3AT also had a barrel lug broken off out of the box. Been perfect after that was fixed though and I carry it everyday. +1 on keeping it clean. They don't like being dirty. Use a GREASE on the moving parts, not a light oil. I use Tetra Gun Grease. Pics of my broken KT's

PF-9 hammer spring broken

P3AT barrel lug broken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links