Big Bore Snubby Help

This is a discussion on Big Bore Snubby Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I go out and buy a SW642 I want to be sure I have looked at all the other options available to me........ I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Snubby Help

Big Bore Snubby Help

Before I go out and buy a SW642 I want to be sure I have looked at all the other options available to me........

I am specifically interested in the Taurus 445 44 special snubby, what frame is this built on, anyone have a comparison shot to a J frame? Also could it be pocket carried.

Also Any other mid frame big bore snubbys that could be carried easily OWB under a tshirt or in a pocket would be very helpful......just info gathering for now.

Thanks Guys.
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Below are links to two threads about my Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. The first is about the gun and has photos of my K&D Pocket Defender for the Bulldog. The second thread has info about my K&D Laredo for the Bulldog and photos of the holster and of me with the holster on.

The Bulldog is bigger than a J frame, but not a lot. The barrel is 2.5" which is longer than the J frame barrels as well. It works well in the pocket or from the OWB holster. I carry it in the pocket when I am wearing a tucked in shirt and OWB if I am wearing a sport coat or a suit coat.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-revolver.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...more-pics.html
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

<= I carry the Taurus 450 .45LC. This is not a pocket gun unless you have VERY BIG pockets. I love it, quick to come into play, throws a major hurtin bullet. She sleeps in a Simply Rugged pancake rig and I swear by it. The .44 should be very similar.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

I sure do like the .44 Special. It may be more of a handloader's cartridge. It can shoot tight groups with good handloads and is truly about as good a handgun cartridge as a person can find. It may be loaded mild or wild enough for anything on which a handgun could reasonably be used.

Only my observation but the Charter Arms is a bit more impressive to me than is the Taurus. I like the size of the Charter Arms Models and their lock work seems smooth and crisp. The Taurus revolvers can smooth up to be pretty nice as was proved by my B-I-L with one he owned.

I don't know if you consider this a big bore but, I cary a 617 Taurus 7 shot 357. In heavy pants like Carpenter Jeans I have done it. It's better in the back pocket. If you get the Titanium Gun it would be a lot easier. I cary IWB and in my pocket for backup I carry the lighter Revolvers such as S&W bobbed Mdl. 37.

Just got my Girlfriend a 642. Amazing little gun! Approved for +p ammo, but I haven't tried any yet, I'd imagine it would be a nasty recoil. I'm waiting for a pocket holster, it's that small. I've got an old 2.5" S&W Model 19. Medium frame in .357 mag, but I can carry a full size 1911 easier.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I recently traded away an older Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in 44 special. The trigger wasn't as smooth as a Smith and Wesson product, but it seemed a decent enough handgun. It was bigger than J frame, but compared well to a K frame. (I have an alloy framed SW Model 12-3 snub, and it was less bulky in a way than that is I'd say.) For a while Charter seemed to be having problems, but most of what I hear about the current production models is positive.

S&W will soon be offering a "Night Guard" line of big bore snubs ranging from .38s all the way up to .44 magnum, albeit for substantially more money than the Taurus offerings. I don't know if these are featured in the current catalog yet or not, but you might want to take a look at them. They would probably be doable for OWB carry under just an untucked shirt with the right holster, but too large for pocket carry for most users. (Pocket carry is subjective, as I've seen some people carry relatively large guns in their pockets, and in ye olden days there were guys who carried chopped Colt New Service revolvers in their pockets.)

The Night Guard guns from S&W will be L and N frames, even bigger yet for pocket carry.

An Sp-101 in .357 comes to mind..not real big but 5 shots of .357 in a nice solid package..Much easier to carry than alot of 44 mag snubs..

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    The Night Guard guns from S&W will be L and N frames, even bigger yet for pocket carry.
    There will be a K frame as well. The 315 was shown at the Shot Show, but wasn't in the first of the 2008 catalogs. It will be available this year. There's a (plausible, given that there are light alloy Js) rumor that a K frame .357 may emerge in the series as well.

How does everyone feel about an SP101 in .327 Mag, seems like a nice little gun 6 shots somwhere between 38 +p and 357 without all the 357 dramatics when you drop the hammer, might be a nice compromise.

Anyone ever pocket carried an SP101

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Before I go out and buy a SW642 I want to be sure I have looked at all the other options available to me.
    Had a Ruger Super Redhawk "Alaskan" in .44mag for awhile. It's significantly larger than the SW J-frame platform, when held side by side. Triple the weight and about 60% larger, as compared to a J-frame snubbie.

I don't think pockets are made that could hold it. Even if you did, the thing would slap against your leg so much as to bruise to into next month. Harder to conceal in a pocket than the largest, full-size 1911 you've held. Suffice to say that such a beast would be best carried on the hip.

For all that, the snubbie Alaskan from Ruger is a fine package. If going "big bore" and shorter barrel is your desire, I'd recommend shooting one prior to purchase. It does, shall we say, kick more than you might expect. Some will find it obnoxious. I didn't, but then my "mission" requirements changed so I sold mine (bum hip/leg keeping me out of the field).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I won't pocket carry a SP101 even wearing bib overalls. Don't misunderstand, I like the pistol VERY much, but like the Kahr K9, it's just a shade too weighty for comfortable holster-less carry.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Never could see the logic of sticking a wheelgun with a cylinder the size of a beer can in a pocket and calling it conceled.

My B-I-L just purchased an older Charter .44 Bulldog Pug yesterday, for under $200 for crying out loud! And at a retail gun shop. Amazingly concealable.

The .44 Bulldog would fit in some jacket and coat pockets. An N-Frame S&W is another story but still can work under a jacket in the right holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links