Shortening the list of excuses against Glock - Page 2

Shortening the list of excuses against Glock

This is a discussion on Shortening the list of excuses against Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets keep it on topic and civil or the thread gets shut down....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shortening the list of excuses against Glock

Lets keep it on topic and civil or the thread gets shut down.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The Glock holster is a safety

I used to carry a Glock and always considered the holster, which covers the trigger guard and trigger, as a safety itself. As long as the gun is holstered, nothing can get at the trigger to fire a round. When you draw you simply follow the fundamental rule of no finger on trigger until on target and ready to shoot. I don't see the need for an additional safety beyond the holster and finger discipline or training.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The two major safety issues I have with glock are basically with the unsupported chamber in 40 Cal. and 2 that the trigger must be pulled to break it down. That being said I have carried and will continue to carry my G27 or G23 . Would i Recommend a Glock to someone with little or no fire arm experience. No I would not. Glock not having an external safety is not an issue if one follows basic safety at all times. operator error is what causes Ad's not the gun design.
    Jack dog

why would you put a safety ON the trigger!!!!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Do you want safety piece of mind OR ready to defend assurance?
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 28th, 2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Deleted bold font.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Okay, Ram Rod's original point is that there are people who prefer to carry a gun with a manual safety. This is an arguable, but defendable, preference, not a statement of poor training or fear of things that go bang. This is, in fact, why a number of people simply do not choose guns with mechanisms like the Glock. He gave a link to a product that provides a manual safety for a Glock. It's an interesting idea.

The more I have thought about it, though, the more I think that inside the trigger guard is the absolute worst place to put a safety. One can get a manual external safety on a Glock slide. Or, along the line of pogo's comment, if retention were my major issue, I'd get a Blackhawk Serpa. Putting the finger anywhere on the trigger while drawing is just plain silly.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdog View Post
    The two major safety issues I have with glock are basically with the unsupported chamber in 40 Cal. and 2 that the trigger must be pulled to break it down. That being said I have carried and will continue to carry my G27 or G23 . Would i Recommend a Glock to someone with little or no fire arm experience. No I would not. Glock not having an external safety is not an issue if one follows basic safety at all times. operator error is what causes Ad's not the gun design.
    I consider a good holster safety enough. No way the trigger gets pulled "accidently".

jackdog, I have a question...why would you consider having to pull the trigger to break it down a safety concern? Almost every gun I own I have to pull the trigger to break it down...Isn't the first step of breaking down a weapon to ensure the weapon is empty?

and add me to the ones who thinks a safety on the trigger is a really bad idea. my finger doesn't touch the trigger until I am ready to shoot. And if I am ready to shoot, I don't want to worry about deactivating a safety.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Both of my Glock work just fine and have excellent safeties built in to them. Their biggest safety feature is keeping my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to destroy what it is I'm aiming at.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: DW V-Bob 1911, S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9,
    and Glock G26, G19, G23C, and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Moderator
    Extra new safety?

I wish you luck when TSHTF and the adrenaline hits...Good Luck!
    OMO

Be sure to post the experience...

Get a different gun, not an extra new safety!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I personally am happy and comfortable with the Glock the way it is is. I think for me it would be terrible having that safety where it is. That's my take on it.

Meh, the only reason I don't carry a glock is the way it fits in my hand. The angle and width of the grip just don't work for me. People wanting the extra safety need a different gun, no other way about it. Thats the great part about the glock's, xd's, and M&P's, the fact they don't have the external thumb safety. While some LE dept may require the external thumb safety, this solution still doesn't resolve that issue, but I know that there are aftermarket thumb safeties out there for Glocks.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Points for creativity... But poking the trigger to disengage the safety seems like it would make the gun less safe to me!

349 views, and a mere 26 replies. I'm old enough to know how things can be taken out of context rather quickly, especially on the internet, in the printed word. The world has many religions all based on interpretations of one book. Opinions are always valued no matter whether the OP likes to hear/see them or not. Point being-if one person out of a million gains anything from the information given, it's worthwhile. I agree with most all of the opinions posted, as I did before I started this post. (those opinions sway ME not) This post was not intended for my benefit. Truth be told, we don't need to jump to conclusions in order to get our message across. There are those those who listen, and those who wish they'd made the speech.

Ramrod, thanks for the post. Love to hear about the innovations they are coming up with. The Glock doesn't fit well to my hand, so I personally wouldn't carry them, but not because of a safety issue. I have never heard of a modern firearm randomly firing. A good holster protects the trigger until it is ready to be accessed and used. That being said, I wouldn't tuck a Block, sorry, Glock into my waistband...but I wouldn't do that with any pistol. Carrying ANY weapon without a proper holster is unsafe...I don't care if it has 50 safeties. A holster keeps a gun in place, keeps objects out of the trigger guard, or in the case of a revolver, keeps the hammer from coming back. If I have to pull my concealed carry weapon, then whether the gun is 'safe' or not is a pretty moot issue. Don't touch the trigger unless you are ready to shoot...One of my rules.

That being said, this might help Glock in a market that is already crowded with some some very good competition. If you were holding out on a Glock only because of the safety, this could be a great addition.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

^+1.

That being said, my Glocks are fine the way they are, and I would be very nervous about having to touch the trigger to disengage an external safety on my carry gun. I'd like to try one out on someone else's if I had the chance, though; I could always be wrong.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links