Shortening the list of excuses against Glock

This is a discussion on Shortening the list of excuses against Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just posting this---not necessarily to further support Glock over any other brand, but because I've heard the all to frequent excuses for not carrying a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: Shortening the list of excuses against Glock

  1. #1
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687

    Shortening the list of excuses against Glock

    Just posting this---not necessarily to further support Glock over any other brand, but because I've heard the all to frequent excuses for not carrying a Glock because of personal interpretations concerning safety. Well, apparently somebody came up with a good answer, and here it is.
    Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail
    Is $50 worth it to get the pistol you want and the level of safety you want? IMO--it sure looks like a good alternative to me.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array matiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.W.
    Posts
    2,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Just posting this---not necessarily to further support Glock over any other brand, but because I've heard the all to frequent excuses for not carrying a Glock because of personal interpretations concerning safety. Well, apparently somebody came up with a good answer, and here it is.
    Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail
    Is $50 worth it to get the pistol you want and the level of safety you want? IMO--it sure looks like a good alternative to me.
    I guess if that's what was holding you back (a manual safety)... I would have to change the way I draw. Currently my trigger finger finds its way to the side of the frame during presentation. Now I've got to deactivate the safety with that finger, while acquiring a two handed grip and presenting the weapon... I'll pass. I don't own any Glocks anymore (traded them for XD's), but I liked them the way they were. They are fine weapons without a manual safety IMO.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

  4. #3
    Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,838
    Interesting approach.

    The immediate question I would have is whether it is possible to activate the safety by accident while shooting. Also, whether it is compatible with other mods, like the NY-1 trigger. There's also the potential danger of being required to put your finger inside the trigger guard during the draw.

    Mind you, I am not a Glock person now, and probably won't be because of this, but it is a cool engineering solution to a real problem.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

    SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

  5. #4
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    I prefer all of my Glocks just the way they are also. This post was for those who might normally turn away from such pistols as they somehow feel the need to require more safety features.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array Saint77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    618
    I got to play with one of those on a demo cutaway G26 the last time I was at my local shop/range. Its actually really easy to work. Trick is, if your already used to the way Glocks work without one, you will want to take a fair amount of practice time to adjust, I would think. I would anyway. I wouldn't want any confusion in an on demand situation. If your not used to the way Glocks work, then I say if it makes you feel comfy, go for it. I would assume if it doesn't work the way you like it, it can be changed back.

    Personally, I like my G19 as is.

  7. #6
    Member Array mslaughtertx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    346
    As a Glock person I like the system the way it is. My logic is the more safeties that exist the more things that can go wrong.

  8. #7
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    I personally think that is a very bad modification as it teaches you to put you finger too close to the trigger to make it safe or off-safe.

    I can see the potential for disaster with this mod if someone has to draw their weapon for the first time on another person. No thank you, I'll stick to keeping my finger away from the trigger until I'm ready to shoot.

    Some of you may say that all you have to do is keep your finger away from the safety until you are ready to shoot, but IRL it doesn't happen that way. You will be jacked up on adrenaline and most likely wouldn't have pulled the gun out from concealment if you didn't think you were going to have to shoot.

    Nope, it's a dumb modification for people that haven't learned how to carry or handle a weapon. That's my $0.02.

    Biker

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array jualdeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waponi Woo
    Posts
    1,045
    I pretty much have to agree with BikerRN here. to me, it is making a safe gun unsafe by way of forcing you to put your finger on the trigger, thus breaking one of the top 3 rules. What might happen if you were pushing the safety off and your finger slipped and caught too much of the trigger? Oops. You just had an ND. Where did that bullet just go? I hope it didn't hit anything important.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array Vaquero 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I personally think that is a very bad modification as it teaches you to put you finger too close to the trigger to make it safe or off-safe.

    I can see the potential for disaster with this mod if someone has to draw their weapon for the first time on another person. No thank you, I'll stick to keeping my finger away from the trigger until I'm ready to shoot.

    Some of you may say that all you have to do is keep your finger away from the safety until you are ready to shoot, but IRL it doesn't happen that way. You will be jacked up on adrenaline and most likely wouldn't have pulled the gun out from concealment if you didn't think you were going to have to shoot.

    Nope, it's a dumb modification for people that haven't learned how to carry or handle a weapon. That's my $0.02.

    Biker
    +1!

    A user activated safety ON THE TRIGGER is a disaster waiting to happen. I think there is a company that provides a 1911 style manual safety for a Glock, if one must have such a thing on their pistol.

    Funny, I've never thought that I needed an "excuse" to not carry a certain pistol. I've got a couple of REASONS that I don't favor Glocks, but I certainly need no excuse.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

  11. #10
    kpw
    kpw is offline
    VIP Member Array kpw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,149
    A manual safety on a Glock...that's an abomination! There's plenty of other pistols with safeties for those that have the need for such foolishness.

  12. #11
    Member Array NEtracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    179
    Agreed. If you must have a safety, then get another gun.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

  13. #12
    Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lutz, FL
    Posts
    1,227
    I'm getting my first Glock and I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about the trigger and possible safety issues when concealed carrying. Maybe I've been reading too much into it from other's opinions and possible myths. I have seen the 'Siderlock' (they make black too) before and there are a few other similar options out there. I'm going to go with the ways things are stock though and learn how to handle and use my Glock safely as is. They know what they're doing and I trust they make a safe weapon.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I'm getting my first Glock and I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about the trigger and possible safety issues when concealed carrying. Maybe I've been reading too much into it from other's opinions and possible myths. I have seen 'Siderlock' (they make black too) before and there are a few other similar options out there. I'm going to go with the ways things are stock though and learn how to handle and use my Glock safely as is. They know what their doing and I trust they make a safe weapon.
    Glock is one of the safest pistols made.

    If your carrying a gun for self defense, combat, etc.....It gives yout he benefit of having one of the most reliable/user friendly, abusable semi-automatics ever made. Safeties slow you down, it is one more step you must accomplish and one more thing that makes your gun not fire. Safety is also not a switch, lever, safety is developed in the user not the gun.

    Glock 21 Torture test - Theprepared.com Can't do that with most guns.

    I'm not trying to start a oo my gun is better than your gun war, but as far as extreme testing check the above link. Most people would never ever consider doing that to their pistol; some Glock owners probably wouldn't think twice about repeating that test with their carry gun.


    The 3 safe features already on the pistol make it near impossible to go off unless a finger or something resembleing a finger put postive rearward pressure on the trigger, to move the striker towards the rear.

    With the polymer frame you can run these pistols in extreme conditions almost dry, if not bone dry. I would not try that with any 1911, my Beretta, my now 2 XD's, HK well its in the link, the only gun I would probably repeat these test maybe would be my SIGS.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Supertac45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Michigan's U.P.
    Posts
    3,657
    I wouldn't use a Glock for several personal reasons; but, if I did, this seeems like a bad idea for a safety.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array Vaquero 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Glock is one of the safest pistols made.

    If your carrying a gun for self defense, combat, etc.....It gives yout he benefit of having one of the most reliable/user friendly, abusable semi-automatics ever made. Safeties slow you down, it is one more step you must accomplish and one more thing that makes your gun not fire. Safety is also not a switch, lever, safety is developed in the user not the gun.

    Glock 21 Torture test - Theprepared.com Can't do that with most guns.

    I'm not trying to start a oo my gun is better than your gun war, but as far as extreme testing check the above link. Most people would never ever consider doing that to their pistol; some Glock owners probably wouldn't think twice about repeating that test with their carry gun.


    The 3 safe features already on the pistol make it near impossible to go off unless a finger or something resembleing a finger put postive rearward pressure on the trigger, to move the striker towards the rear.

    With the polymer frame you can run these pistols in extreme conditions almost dry, if not bone dry. I would not try that with any 1911, my Beretta, my now 2 XD's, HK well its in the link, the only gun I would probably repeat these test maybe would be my SIGS.
    Big deal.

    SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

    HK USP Torture testing

    YouTube - FirepowerTV Ultimate Gun Tortue test

    http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

    I thought this thread was about a trigger safety for a Glock, not a "my Glock passed a ridiculous torture test, I wouldn't try this with any other pistol" thread.



    Last edited by rocky; February 27th, 2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: flaming
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Weird foods List / Link to list
    By 12Rounds in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: October 15th, 2009, 03:15 AM
  2. Exercise...No excuses!
    By packinnova in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: February 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM
  3. 60 Things worth shortening your life for
    By OPFOR in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
  4. Questions About Shortening a 1911???
    By norinco-phil in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: July 5th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Search tags for this page

excuses for glocks
,
glock excuses
,

glock grip shorten

,
shorten glock grip
,
shortening glock grip
,
top glock grip shortening
Click on a term to search for related topics.