Firepower - for size and weight?

This is a discussion on Firepower - for size and weight? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wonder what the results would look like if someone were to mathematically analyze available handguns for "firepower"? Something like (engergy * capacity) / Loaded_wt ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Firepower - for size and weight?

Firepower

I wonder what the results would look like if someone were to mathematically analyze available handguns for "firepower"?

Something like (engergy * capacity) / Loaded_wt would give you a "bang for the ounce" figure. Use a common round such as Hydroshocks or Cor-Bons for the energy figure. My gut feeling is that something on the extreme ends of the "handgun" definition would come out on top, like either a Derringer or .500S&W.

2. Remove Ads

I decided to revisit this post because, like I said before I really love ol slabside but in my opinion good belt and holster or not I just don't find it practical for me. I can strap on the little 38 +P and feel comfortable and I know that all my shots will be center mass, but they will suffer at distance. If any of us ever have to find ourselves needing a fire arm it may be up close like outside. However, for house work I will use the 45 or soon to acquire shot gun. The 38 snub is just so easy to conceal and in regards to civilians it provides an element of surprise and tact. Most will never be in fire fight at the walk Wal-mart I think movies and the media gets us spooked.
    P.S. stand and let me hit you with a round of 125gr. Speer +P Gold dots and let me know if my 38 is too small and I will change.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion
    P.S. stand and let me hit you with a round of 125gr. Speer +P Gold dots and let me know if my 38 is too small and I will change.
    I have pretty much the same opinion of my S&W 642 w/ 125gr. +P Golden Sabers - there may be better rounds out there but I don't hear anyone volunteering to take a couple to the chest. If need be I've got an M66 with 125gr. .357mags. (note to self: buy leather for the 66).
    Jack

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan
    I carry a Kahr 9mm (7+1 rounds) with a spare magazine, loaded with 124 grn Gold Dots. (SNIP)
    I carry the same set up as my off-duty rig (Gold Dots too)...with a PM9 as a BUG.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Tangle said exactly how I feel on the matter. Plan for the worse and hope for the best! Why anyone would plan for the "average" (is there such a thing concerning a gunfight?) is beyond me. At this point in my training at least. I was an 8+1 1911 guy for years, but the more I trained dynamically the more the hi-cap 9mm made sense. Still does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Ahh shoot! I wanted to say that!

The more I train at schools, probably going to Blackwater next summer instead of Gunsite, the more I'm convinced that what will get me through the fight is what I've got in the gun. Oh yeah, I practice speed reloads, but from everything I can discover, it is highly unlikely that I'll need or have opportunity to reload in a gunfight.

I think there is however, a law comes into all this: "The fewer bullets in your gun the more likely you are to run out in a gunfight." That's perhaps trivial, but one of my laws of self-defense.

An unsubstantiated hypothesis: "If you run out of ammo before the gunfight is over, the caliber of the bullets you ran out of probably won't much matter."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links