Another Charter Arms Data Point

This is a discussion on Another Charter Arms Data Point within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a new DAO Charter Arms Bulldog in black passivate on Monday through Davidson's and picked it up at a local gun dealer's this ...

Thread: Another Charter Arms Data Point

Another Charter Arms Data Point

I ordered a new DAO Charter Arms Bulldog in black passivate on Monday through Davidson's and picked it up at a local gun dealer's this morning. Since the dealer is also a firing range, I got to run a quick box of cowboy loads through it as well.

The fit and finish on the gun is perfectly fine. No machine marks, no burrs, and the company seems to have taken care of the issue that I had read about online of sharp edges on the cylinder release latch and a few other spots. A tag on the weapon states that even though this gun is a "blue" gun, it was still stainless steel under the finish. When locked up the cylinder has a little rotational wiggle in it but honestly it's been so long since I handled a DA revolver I don't know if it's normal or not. The only issue with this particlar piece was a sticky collar on the ejector rod that initially had me believing that it only threw 3/8ths of inch or so, but once it worked loose it allowed the star to come out considerably farther.

The 240 grain cowboy loads I fired shot to point of aim at seven yards and the kick was quite mild. I'm very interested to see what the recoil will be with hotter factory loads. At one point after firing a couple of rounds, I eased the trigger to the point of cylinder release and held it there, long enough for gravity to spin the cylinder down. I didn't notice what had happened and at first, leading me to believe I'd had a light strike when in fact the hammer came down on a round I'd already fired. Other than that, the trigger pull is smooth and consistent if not a tad heavy.

So far so good! I'm psyched about the Bulldog. Onward to concealed carry certification!

yours/
    peter.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I like my stainless Bulldog. Mine still will only raise the star about 3/8". Can you post a photo of what loosened to allow the ejector rod to move more? Thanks.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I'm following comment on these Charter .44's. Could be a reasonable acquisition.

Extractor Rod

dr_cmg!

I apologize for the crappy quality of these cell phone shots but the batteries in my real camera are dead.

The sleeve I'm talking about can more or less be seen in the first thumbnail with my grubby finger pointing to it. I'm pretty sure it houses a spring inside. When it was stuck, the ejection rod would only go as far in as shown in the second thumbnail, a little over a quarter of an inch. After it worked loose, the sleeve would slide after making contact with the cylinder face and allow the ejection rod to go in within a millimeter or two from the end cap (3rd thumbnail). This pushed the star out to just over half an inch, as shown in the last thumbnail. Of course it still doesn't exceed the length of the empties, but it brings you a lot closer. I was going to put some moly oil on the rod, but after playing with it it's now pretty smooth.

Hope this helps!

yours/
    peter.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Thanks, Peter. I got the sleeve broken loose enough to let the star move out the same distance yours does. However the sleeve now doesn't slide back to where it belongs. I have cleaned the rod and put some more oil on it. I'm going to let it sit for a few days. If it doesn't break loose I'll go shoot it some and see if the recoil will shake it loose. If it doesn't I'll have to try something else.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I picked up one of these recently at a gun show. 350 bucks for a NIB 44 spec. was more than I could resist. A friend of mine got one back in the eighties and loved it. I did as much research as I could, and having determined that though there were problems with the Charco 44s, the Charter 2000s seemed to have addressed them. I've only got 100 rounds of 200 gr. silvertips through it so far, but it's been great. No hiccups of any kind. My extractor rod was a little sticky. I oiled it up and worked it about 20 or 30 times and it freed right up. The recoil isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be and it shoots a big ole' bullit!! I couldn't be happier...I went ahead and ordered a IWB holster from K&D and a couple of speedloaders.

I put another 80 rounds through the bulldog today without a single issue. I'll need to file a tiny bit off of the front sight, paint it with some high viz orange and I'll be set. The speedloaders worked great so now I'm jonesing for the holster. It'll be a while though, so I still can't carry it but I'm definatly confident enough in it now to make it my new edc. I can't get over how loud it is not to be a magnum. It's got a deep voice!!
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Links