Anyone carry a .22 revolver? - Page 2

Anyone carry a .22 revolver?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a .22 revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes sir. I use to carry a North American Arms 22 LR for years. Figured it was better to have that in my pocket than ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a .22 revolver?

Yes sir. I use to carry a North American Arms 22 LR for years. Figured it was better to have that in my pocket than the 45 back in the truck. Summertime heat in Florida makes it a bear to carry a large pistol.

But in today world with drugged out crazy people on the streets trying to rob you for there next fix, and BGs now carrying larger caliber pistols, I retired the little NAA and now carry P3AT 380 or a Glock 26 9 mm.

Only if I were going into an area of angry, insurgent sqirrels.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

For self-defense? Never a .22.

For plinking? Sure.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    Only if I were going into an area of angry, insurgent sqirrels.
    Been there and done that!

<thread drift>

</ thread drift>

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I'll bet that makes opening packages at Christmas time interesting!
    D'oh! David beat me to it! I was gonna say something about the Thanksgiving turkey being carved and everyone ducking for cover!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    BUG, 11 ounce, 7 shot, S&W 351 PD .22magnum. KIMBER Pro CDP II as the primary, one extra mag in 45acp.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Often there is a lot of "macho" in these discussions of stopping power --"mine is bigger than yours."

While it is clear that bigger bullets do more damage, it is equally unclear that 3 or 4 .22 HP's won't/can't stop most assaults. One of the advantages of the .22's is their low recoil, and this increases the likelihood that an experienced shooter in a self-defense situation will score multiple deadly hits into the assailant. And the superior gun control from less recoil may enable "better hits." Two .22's in the bad-guy's head may incapacitate faster than a .40 in the leg.

Since much of the stopping power data reflects police shootings with
    38's, 9's, and 40's, there isn't as much recorded data on .22's for self defense by experienced shooters.

One of my physician friends worked the ER in the past, and saw numerous 22 caliber fatalities....Enough of them that one of his favorite carry weapons remains a 1970's Beretta .22 pistol.

There is no doubt that a 1911 .45 is more deadly, but don't underestimate the .22 either.

To boot, .22 mag is a pretty mean round.

Sure it's 40 grains, but approaching 2000 fps.... 300 lb-ft. (mag)

Granted energy transference isn't going to be as effective as something with a lot more lead, but it seems like it'll do the trick.

carried a beretta 22lr pocket pistol in the florida keys many mango seasons ago. liked it better than the beretta jetfire in 25 acp that i started with because the 22 was double action. with a 22lr pistol you can get more shots on target faster than bigger guns. it is a recoil thing. also a 22 lr in hand is better than two 45's back home.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I'll bet that makes opening packages at Christmas time interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by taggart View Post
    D'oh! David beat me to it! I was gonna say something about the Thanksgiving turkey being carved and everyone ducking for cover!
    The Queen makes me stay in the barn during the holidays.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    Its not a revolver, but I often carry my Walther P22 as my only CCW when I think I'm in a safe area, running local errands, supermarket, dog walking, etc. It is a handy piece, and not very heavy in a coat pocket.

Nine rounds of .22 hollow points are not ideal, but will likely do what is necessary. Other times, I carry a .38.
    I do the very same thing at times with my Walther P22.

Its not a revolver, but I often carry my Walther P22 as my only CCW when I think I'm in a safe area, running local errands, supermarket, dog walking, etc......
    A safe area kinda like the mall in Omaha, Nebraska or Wendy's in Palm Beach, Florida or a quaint school zone, or..... Not be be a obvious but most mass shootings and killings occur in "safe areas" where the general populace would never think it can happen.

There are no safe areas any more.

I carry a NAA MiniMag revolver in 22WMR sometimes when I can't conceal anything bigger - obviously not my first pick, but with it's 1 5/8" barrel it makes a hell of a bang - at the very least it will startle and perhaps confuse an assailant long enough to either close in for a "contact shot" should the first shot miss, or preferably scare them away - the "oh S***! This guy has a gun too!" factor. The old saying is true - better to have ANY gun in a fight then no gun at all. I know that I wouldn't want to get plugged by a 22 mag up close!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I agree with Gold40. Load that baby up with some CCI Stingers and practice 2 to center mass, 2 to head. Gives you 9 shots of taking a BG out. I personaly saw the results of a Stinger to the head of a 14YO kid. Wasn't pretty and he passed after being on Life Support after 4 hours. As a kid growing up my Uncle Floyd used a Savage model 29 lr to put down a couple of Guernsey dairy cows with 1 shot between the eyes. They dropped like they'd been hit with my .338 Win Mag.

Often there is a lot of "macho" in these discussions of stopping power --"mine is bigger than yours."

While it is clear that bigger bullets do more damage, it is equally unclear that 3 or 4 .22 HP's won't/can't stop most assaults. One of the advantages of the .22's is their low recoil, and this increases the likelihood that an experienced shooter in a self-defense situation will score multiple deadly hits into the assailant. And the superior gun control from less recoil may enable "better hits." Two .22's in the bad-guy's head may incapacitate faster than a .40 in the leg.

Since much of the stopping power data reflects police shootings with
    38's, 9's, and 40's, there isn't as much recorded data on .22's for self defense by experienced shooters.

One of my physician friends worked the ER in the past, and saw numerous 22 caliber fatalities....Enough of them that one of his favorite carry weapons remains a 1970's Beretta .22 pistol.

There is no doubt that a 1911 .45 is more deadly, but don't underestimate the .22 either.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links