Anyone carry a .22 revolver?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a .22 revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought an old HiStandard Sentinel, a 9 shot DA revolver with an alloy frame. It isn't small, but it is extremely light, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a .22 revolver?

Anyone carry a .22 revolver?

I recently bought an old HiStandard Sentinel, a 9 shot DA revolver with an alloy frame. It isn't small, but it is extremely light, and I'm thinking of carrying it this summer as a back-up.
    I have already bought HKS Speedloaders for it, and will be practicing with it next week. FWIW, I have always liked the design of these guns and finally found one in excellent condition for $150, and I could't resist it.

Thanks.

mark

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Nope not for a ccw.For hunting back up yes.

Sounds like a good buy on a nice gun. However, (here it comes) A backup gun is there incase your primary weapon, malfunctions, lost, or whatever. At that point your life is in the hands of your B.u.g. A.22? I don't think so. It just doesn't have the stopping power. But enjoy shooting your new gun. Sounds nice.

as in LR ? no
    magnum. yes
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Lead Moderator
    Only as a BUG , but mine is small and easy to conceal.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I recently picked up a used 2.5" H&R 929 Sidekick 9 shooter .22. It was a cheap gun in its day but is reliable and all steel. My wife is scared to shoot our S&W J frame .38, but shoots the little .22 fine and she can put all the shots into the target @10yds. I told her if she is home alone and a BG gets in just point and click 9 times. I have no doubt that it will do the job.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

For a while I had a SW 317 as an "understudy" gun to a 337. Every now and again, I'd take it along tucked in a pocket. I also went through a phase where I carried an NAA mini. The 317 had a relatively heavy trigger pull, allegedly this was deliberate on the part of the factory as ignition of .22LR ammunition can be temperamental. QC of factory ammunition has been a bit dicier in recent years, esp the bulk packed ammunition. A .22 certainly beats having no BUG, but it might be a good idea to use higher grade ammunition to improve the chances of reliable ignition and avoid things like split cases that plague the cheaper offerings.

Chamber pressures are low in .22s, so even "cheap" revolvers can last a long time and still provide a certain level of service. My wife's grandmother still totes around an old RG (as cheap as revolvers get) .22 with a front sight soldered on.

Instead of carrying a pocket knife, I carry a 11 ounce, 7 shot, S&W 351 PD .22magnum wheelie.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Its not a revolver, but I often carry my Walther P22 as my only CCW when I think I'm in a safe area, running local errands, supermarket, dog walking, etc. It is a handy piece, and not very heavy in a coat pocket.

Nine rounds of .22 hollow points are not ideal, but will likely do what is necessary. Other times, I carry a .38.

Quote Originally Posted by johnisaly View Post
    Instead of carrying a pocket knife, I carry a 11 ounce, 7 shot, S&W 351 PD .22magnum wheelie.
    I want one of those BAD !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

My gf used to carry a Taurus 22 magnum snubbie, before she graduated to a P239. She still will pack it when she can't carry anything bigger.

Sentinel Revolver

I have owned a Sentinel for about 40 years - I paid $20 for it (used, but in the box) in the late 60's. Mine is the "deluxe" nickel plated model. It is very accurate and makes a great "fishing gun" for dispatching snakes, etc. But I would not consider it for CC - 22LR out of a 4 inch barrel is not a stopper - and although it is light, it is kind of bulky. But I have got my $20 worth out of it many times over - so enjoy.

I carry a NAA mini 22 revolver for back-up but not as a primary weapon. Steve48

Quote Originally Posted by johnisaly View Post
    I'll bet that makes opening packages at Christmas time interesting!

Shot placement isn't everything if it doesn't penetrate enough to cause more than psychological damage ... but I'll throw you a bone a .22 in the pocket beats a .45 in the safe.

Speaking of psychological damage, I believe it was Jeff Cooper who talked about 'wimp factor'. That is, a factor in stopping power is the psychological reaction of the perp when hit. In his estimation, those people to whom 'wimp factor' applies will 'go down' or 'run for medical attention' equally whether hit by a .22 or a .44. The hard core or drug-fueled perp won't have 'wimp factor' but in his estimation the average street thug will.

Cooper also believed that 'wimp factor' completely ruins 'stopping power' statistics - as this means some people who 'go down' from a .38 special might have a different mind-set from somebody who doesn't go down after being hit by a 9mm. And how can you use 'size vs. velocity' as a guide if the mindset of the perp is so great a factor? And perp mindset is not part of any statistic collection.

Moral of the story - a .22 will be equally as effective on some people as a .357. But, if they don't go down on the first shot (wimp factor) you are probably going to have a fight on your hands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links