Defensive Carry banner

P239??? Pros/cons

7K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  tankdriver 
#1 ·
I know there is a very devout following of SIG owners on here and righfully so. I have been lustfully wanting to buy a p220 DAK for sometime, Carry or fullsize I dont know yet. I want a .45 and am a GLOCK man by trade. Their .45s don't feel right to me. Anyhoo, I will soon have the money for the p220. :danceban: I however am going to have some other money and have unexpectedly found myself in quite the admiration of the p239. :image035: I did not expect it to fit my hands so well, as I 6'3" and 270. I like the idea of a .45 and think i could hide. it. However I know from experience with my G23, that I could make a p239 disappear, with a good holster.
Who here carries a 239 on a regular basis? Is 9mm the preferred caliber? I was considering a .357 sig for the novelty of it and the fact that I will not be shootin it as much as my other guns, and I have a .40 with my 23. Realistically, though I would prob go with the .40 or the 9mm. Let me know what u all think.

#2 ·
I think the 239 is one of the best CCW handguns out there. It is small and thin, extremely reliable, and much more accurate than it has any right to be. (For instance, I shot the DEA qualification course with one - not mine - the other day. It was the first time I had ever held this particular pistol, and the course calls for shots from as far as 50 yards. I passed with a 96%...)

Of course, there are the trigger options (DA/SA, DAK, Sig short trigger, short reset trigger, etc), so most shooters can find something that they really like in that regard. There are the aesthetics - it's a pretty pistol and can really be "gussied up" with grips and finishes or left as a piece of "working art" in all black. Recoil is very managable, especially in 9mm.

The only possible downsides are capacity and weight - there are lighter pistols in the same category out there, and the single stack limits the rounds on board. Neither of these is a deal breaker for me in that sort of pistol, but they are considerations.

As for caliber - I have no problems with 9mm, and so would stick with that. Ammo is cheaper, recoil is lighter, and you can squeeze in an extra round into the magazine. I don't know anyone who uses .357SIG in the 239, but I do know many folks with the 9mm and .40 versions who are VERY happy with their choice.

#4 ·
I used to carry a P239 in 9mm and now carry an HK P2000 SK in 9mm (both in DA/SA). The P239 is a fine firearm as everyone has said. It is very reliable and very accurate.

The main issue is it has slightly less capacity and is slightly heavier than some other options out there.

For example, my P239 with 8+1 weights almost 2oz more than my P2000 SK with 10+1.

But you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with either of these firearms. Here are some links to past discussions:

Sig p239
H&K 2000 verus Sig 239 (both in 40 cal.)
Concerned on width....

As for caliber, I think with quality ammunition like DoubleTap (compared), 9mm is fine. Personally I carry DoubleTap +P 124gr in both the P239 and the HK.

-john

EDIT: As for .357 Sig, I've heard (yes, no direct evidence) that the necked down case has more setback creep issues than a straight necked round when re-chambered repeatedly (as you may end up doing with a carry gun).

#5 ·
Sig P239

I have two Sigs but not the P239. But like the poster, I am intrigued by the gun and am also considering buying one. I have handled them in a store and have read a number of gun site threads on the gun recently.

The consensus of owners who have posted comments is very positive about the reliability, accuracy and trigger feel of the gun. It seems to be surprisingly accurate for its fairly small size, but that is typical of Sigs in my own experience.

The one complaint about the P239 that seems to predominate is that they are heavy for the number of rounds they hold. Although it is the smallest Sig to handle a major caliber, being about an inch thick in both the slide and the grip (wider at the decocker), it has a single stack magazine and gives you 9 total rounds in 9mm or 8 rounds in .40 or .357 Sig. As for weight, the Sig website shows the 9mm empty at 27.5 ounces and the other two calibers at 29.7 ounces. I don't personally see this as a disadvantage, as I believe the capacity is about the same as a 1911 and adequate for most civilian CCW use. And the weight is not enough to be a comfort problem in belt carry while handling recoil well compared to lighter polymer frame guns.

As for caliber, I would probably tend to favor a P239 in 9mm, since modern 9mm defensive ammo like Winchester Ranger 147 grain gives you penetration close to 14 inches and expansion to nearly 0.70 inches, based on gel tests. The .40 and .357 Sig don't really do any better than this in tests. The 9mm will have the extra round, recoil less, and cost less for practice ammo.

#7 ·
I have a 239 9mm and am very impressed with it - very accurate and very reliable . The capacity or weight isn’t really an issue with me; I have a few extra magazines and I believe in accuracy trumps high volume of fire. Maybe it’s me but the weight seems to keep more stable to fire. Hogue grips really enhance the fell of it. I can’t comment on the .357 or 40 caliber 239, besides the obvious cost of ammo and you can convert from one to another. But a 9mm with the right ammo is enough for me.

Handle and test firing one if you can, and see if it works for you, it'll be your weapon... it'll be your decision.

#8 ·
I have a 239 and think it's great. Mine is in 9mm and is a real tack driver. The most common "con" seems to be capacity, as many folks have mentioned. The other negative thing I've heard (and this is pretty much for all "P" series SIGS), is it's NOT lefty friendly.

#10 ·
I also have been trying to convince myself to buy a P239. Just having trouble with the capacity/weight thing. Relative to my G19, I'd hate to give up 7rds to carry a heavier gun w/ approx. same height.

#11 ·
I sold my P239 (.40) after buying a Glock 23c. I did not like the grip feel - too small for me to get a good grip on it. I love my SIG's and wish I still had my SIG P220. The Glock 23 felt like it fit my hand and the P239 did not. I sold the P239 and bought a Glock 19 with the money.

#12 ·
I like the 239 in 9, but not in 40/357. Not much mag capacity but a fine piece. I'm trading mine in, however, on a 220 carry elite.

#13 ·
I have a 239 in 40 cal. Really fine gun, and the single stack grip makes it real easy to conceal. I carry it in an M-Tac and it's very comfortable.

Never had any kind of failure in over 1000 rds. and will shoot a single ragged hole at 11 yds.

#15 ·
I have a P239 in 9mm and had a .357SIG as well. I traded the .357 to get my Colt Mustang. I like the .357 a lot. The person who had the Mustang likes .357SIG and I like the cost of 9mm. The P239 was my EDC for about a year. My wife carried the .357 for about 6 months until she got her Kahr. We both found the 239s to be accurate and reliable. The capacity was more of a question with the .357 for me because I carried a 10 round 9mm mag as my spare.

I still carry the P239 at times, but normally carry the S&W 1066.

#16 ·
2 sig P239's here. I bought the DAK .40 (beautiful gun) with stainless slide and carry it all the time. It fits in my coat pockets with an uncle mike pocket holster and fits in my SmartCarry for deep concealment. I also have a 9mm 239 that is DA/SA and use it mainly for target practice. Both are super accurate and I can finally say I have found the dependable CCW guns I've been looking for.

#17 ·
I have the 239 DAK in .357 sig and it is a shootin little beast. The only draw back to this weapon I have found is the amount of muzzle flip with the hot caliber. Its a bit hard to keep my shots in a 5" target at 15+ yards while shooting with any speed. Other than that, I love the gun.

It has recently been retired to the truck for vehicle duty since I got my PPS, size and weight being the only reason.

#19 ·
I owned and carried a 239 in 9mm for a year or so, but while it was beautiful, it's lack of capacity just stopped making sense to me. I traded it for a Glock 19... roughly the same size, but 15+1 instead of 8+1 made more sense to me, even though I don't love the glock like I did the Sig. But then again, I'm a practical guy.

I'd consider the 239 in .40, it makes more sense in that caliber as far as capacity goes.

#21 ·
I was recently shopping for a new carry gun and Sig was the name I wanted on my pistol.

When I picked up and held the 239, it felt too slim for my liking, but I liked the pistol. Then I picked up the 229 and it was just right. I bought a 229 in 9mm, and what a shooter! Me likey!

#24 ·
Love my 239

I really like the P239. Thin grip and slightly thinner slide make it a little easier to conceal than G19/G23, although with less capacity. I have one in 9mm and .40. I've found it to be easy to handle in .40 for it's size. Both are extremely accurate.

It's my favorite .40 CCW.

#26 ·
To those who switched to mid sized Glock I already have one...a 23. Love it. It is my EDC...will never part with it. I just want something a little smaller, single stack. I really like the SIG, just for something diff. I think we all agree that the 239 is slimmer and a little more easy to conceal than the GLOCK. Besides as far as capacity goes if u are in a real gunfight and the SHTF. You are not going to need 13-15 rounds. If you do you are prob outmanned or outgunned and 5-7 rounds is not going to help a lot.

#27 ·
I am always of the opinion that you can't have too much ammo, but the 239 is just so sweet that I find myself overlooking my own beliefs! :biggrin:

#28 ·
The P239, in 9mm, is about the only Sig currently in production that I would interest me. The chief appeal, for me, is its slim single-stack profile. However, when I compare it side-by-side with a CZ PCR...

#29 ·
#31 ·
I have the 239 in 40 and have really been pleased with it. Added the CT Laser grips and it is a fine weapon for CCW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.