Dems Win/SHTF/I want another gun, whattaya think?

This is a discussion on Dems Win/SHTF/I want another gun, whattaya think? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Much has been said on this topic. I am really just trying to get a consolidated answer that can be shared with others. So I ...

Thread: Dems Win/SHTF/I want another gun, whattaya think?

Dems Win/SHTF/I want another gun, whattaya think?

Much has been said on this topic. I am really just trying to get a consolidated answer that can be shared with others.

So I have been reading this forum for a couple months now and I really like the point of view that is shared by so many of you. So now I will ask your collective opinion on a few topics that I see as deeply interrelated.

First some personal background, I have been carrying for 10 years now. I have gone through a few guns in that time and I have settled on .38 wheelguns anytime my wife is around and .45s if shes not.

My debate right now is what do I get if it looks like an imminent ban is on the horizon. I want to get ahead of it so I can take advantage of better prices now than will be there in a few months.

I currently have a 5" compact frame XD.45. I love it! I also have a 1911 that ends up getting carried more than the XD. My never leave home without it gun is a Smith 642.

That said. I am thinking about the next gun. In a worst case scenario I want a gun that has readily available parts, magazines, and ammo. There is no more prevalent gun combination that fits those requirements than a Glock 9mm (17, 19, 26). I have traditionally had great disdain for 9mm. But in a worst case time it may be the most available.

There is a lot going for the Glock 9mm. 33 parts total, ultra simple operation, stupid reliability, simple maintenance, cheap parts, and everyone knows the gun.

I am seriously contemplating a Glock 19 with a handful of 19 mags and a handful of 17 mags with 2 rd extensions.

Then I was in the store yesterday and got to handle the new SIG p250 with the DAK trigger. Man that thing was sweet. I like the idea of 34 parts total, simple maintenance, simple operation, easily interchangeable configurations, etc. etc. etc. But it is too new to really have availability of parts and components. Mags are an issue since they are proprietary to the gun.

I already have an XD, so maybe a XD9 would make the most sense. Same operation, same (or almost same) accessories (holsters, sights). Seems like it might be a good idea.

So, in keeping with the theme of the thread title, help me out. Give me some suggestions. Ideally I end up with a gun and all required add ons for less than $800. That is gun + 6 mags minimum. I make my own holsters.

Thanks for your input.

CPTD

2. Remove Ads

So, in keeping with the theme of the thread title, help me out.
    imo, forget about the handgun. you already have some that you are comfortable with. so, in the spirit of the title, i'd recommend getting a rifle, like an AR-15. they'll get them before they get the handguns.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

I already have the rifle. AR15 all tricked out, a dozen high reliability mags.

I also have a Winchester .30-30 and a couple shottys. Hence the need for more handguns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cptd View Post

I also have a Winchester .30-30 and a couple shottys. Hence the need for more handguns!!!
    I just bought two more lowers. I'm not divulging how many I have now (they're an investment I'm guarding like bricks of gold).

I agree with your angle. I just started stocking up on 13 round mags for my XD-45. I'm going to get a compact 5" XD in 45 ACP so that I've got the two turns into four gun combo (XD Service, XD Tactical, XD Service Compact, XD Tactical Compact depending on my mood).

I agree with phaed in that I think concentrating on purchasing rifles will benefit you the most, as they are, IMO, going to be the easiest "win" for the anti's. That said, hi-cap handguns are going to become rare again as well.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

ah. well then, i agree that the glock and sig 9mm are going to have plenty of ammo/parts available. and ye ole 1911 probably has more parts and ammo available than any gun out there.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Because of what could happen, I would (actually did) get an AR-15...mine is a BushMaster...

Could be come VERY expensive...a great 'reach out and touch someone' weapon!

OMO

Stay armed...plan ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As much as i dislike glocks on a personal level with your concerns in mind it imho is the only choice be it a 19 or a 17. There are a trainload of 9mm glocks out there and all parts are interchangeable , in fact the glock has a lot of parts interchangeable across caliber platforms . No matter what happens glocks will be out there in numbers enough to be cheap enough ( given comparative values at any time ) to pick one up just for a parts gun . This is not to say glock is the " best " gun you can have , only that it has been out there a long time with little real change in the initial design so almost all parts from a 1st gen will work fine in a new glock . As previously stated on this board i am not a real fan of double stack autos and my prep ( since i have a fal, an ak , an ar , and several sks rifles ) is going into mags and spare parts for them now . If a double stack comes by at a heck of a bargan ill pick it up and put it up , just as an investment . For my personal use tho my single stacks and revolvers work just fine now as they will after any ban . I am much more concerned about my sport rifles than i am handguns with the looming elections . IMHO parts and mags will pay a higher dividend than accruing firearms of any capacity since mags for sure and quite possibly parts for " banned " guns is likely to be included in any future ban . I have went to the expense of purchasing a mini mill and mini lathe so if it gets bad enough i can make what i need for the most part . I also am accumulating a good library on not only firearms blueprints but heat treating metal ect... You should note tho that on the farm we have a " real " lathe the mini is for making small parts not all gun smithing i might run into . Having a background in " Rawhide Ranching " i tend to think in terms of sustainability since i have had to keep antique equipment running long after parts run out .

Sorry for the long post but food for thought about how anyone might spend limited resources .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Think major bans are unlikely

While I believe that any reason to buy another gun is a good reason, I am less worried than the poster about guns becoming scarce if the Dems get into power. I have been a gun owner and user for about 45 years, through all the Presidents since Kennedy. The most extreme Federal gun legislation I have seen in that time was probably the 1968 Gun Control Act (Johnson) and the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban (Clinton) which has now expired. Over the same period the state gun laws of most states have generally become more relaxed, especially relating to concealed carry.

Even under anti gun Dems, the number of privately owned guns in the US has continued to grow, and is about 250 million today. And as Al Gore found out in 2000, taking an anti gun political stance is a good way to lose a national election. So although a Dem president will make some noise about guns and maybe get a Federal law or two passed, I don't think it will amount to much - at most a replay of the Clinton Assault Weapon deal limiting black rifles and 10+ capacity magazines. It will be just enough to placate his liberal base, who don't understand guns anyway.

And I think there is a good chance the next President won't be a Dem.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I certainly hope that your predictions come to fruition pogo 2.

I won't comment on the issue of will it be democrat or republican. Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

In the spirit of the discussion here's my .02
    Glock 19 w/ extra 17 mags. I really love my Glocks. They'll be available. in a worldwide view 9mm is the universal. Here in the states, it's very easy to get. LEO's have loads of .40 and that (in America) is the accepted normal caliber.

I'm in your situation reversed: I have many handguns and no AR15. I do have a 30/30 & shotgun. No assualt rifles.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I already have an XD, so maybe ...
    Do you have a need to branch into other calibers? A second XD 45 means that you can be deep in mags (assuming you have 10 or so/pistol) and can cannibalize for parts if one bites the dust. If you pick up a Glock or XD 9, you simply have another caliber, and another $50-100 in spare parts to buy to make sure you're covered.

If you only have a small quantity of .45, and your wife is more comfortable with 9mm, see about a FTF trade for an XD9 and buy another one new.

Just my perspective....

You could also simply buy two police trade in SW 5906s, a rather durable steel framed TDA 9mm, and around 10 spare hi caps for $800. Trade in 5906s sell for around 300 dollars lately, and $20 will buy either a brand new MecGar magazine or a used SW factory magazine with lots of life left in it. If you have two, then you have one of every spare part.
    Last edited by Gatorfarmer; February 28th, 2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: grammar

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    A total ban is possible if the Left win's the general election. The surging candidate has already proposed a 7% surtax on our GDP to fight "Global Poverty." One of the many paragraphs buried in that UN stuff is the ever-popular, once-beaten back small arms ban. Remember Bolton at the UN telling them "NO!" and how it violated our Constitution? It's baaaaaaack! I don't see that actually happening, but since that UN thing is an agreement and not a treaty, it can be put into place with the stroke of a pen. Additionally, I really don't think anyone wants to lose the next umpteen elections and face the wrath of America's gun owners.

Stock up on common (available) parts and guns. The SKS/AK/AR platforms make sense. Buy as many magazines as you can without breaking budget. Ammo and parts may become the underground currency of the future - ya never know............
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Rifles, mags and ammo. I would like to have enough handguns that my grandchildren will each have one - but rifles are first priority. Just my two cents.

Austin

Watch out for the UN angle. A treaty obligation trumps an Act of Congress. It gives the Dems a way to get what they want and blame the UN for it.
    Dieu et les Dames

Links