Need advice on a new carry pistol for my wife - Page 2

Need advice on a new carry pistol for my wife

This is a discussion on Need advice on a new carry pistol for my wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pgrass101 I own a Makarov chambered in .380, Great gun and you can get Hogue grips for it, it is easier to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I own a Makarov chambered in .380, Great gun and you can get Hogue grips for it, it is easier to shoot (as well as heavier) than my Bersa .380

Check out Makarov.com

and
    Comparison
    Do you have any experience comparing your Mak with the CZ 82?

Senior Moderator
    No I have handled the CZ but never fired one. Both I think will be good guns.

Mags and accesories will probably be more availble for the Mak.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Can she still operate the slide of an autoloader? My wife has been having problems with carpal tunnel as of late, and it has lead to problems with manipulating the slide of her Beretta and her Kel Tec P3AT. The recoil springs in the smallish blowback .380s (like the PPKs) can be particularly stiff.

One option, if the size isn't an issue, is the Beretta Model 84. Unlike many .380s, this is fairly large, the slide is easier to operate, and recoil is very soft.

Unfortunately, if she has arthritis, there is a good chance it will get worse, not better. If you go with a SA, she might come to a point where she can no longer manipulate the slide. A revolver might be a better long term solution. How does she conceal? Holster? Purse?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Lots of great advice.

To answer your questions, she can still rack the slide on a semi auto. Recoil seems to be the hardest thing at this point. The last time we went to the range, she ran about three rounds through my Rami 9mm and then handed it back, saying that it hurt to shoot. This is a fairly recent development, and she's set to go back to the hand doctor sometime in the next month or so. It tears me up to see her like this, and it's worse since there's nothing I can do to make it better.

pgrass101, thanks for the links. That's a good comparison between the Bersa and the Mak. I really like his writing. More food for thought.

BerneyG, She uses a SmartCarry.

I'd personally stay away from the .380's, as someone said, even though it's a less powerful round, the gun itself is usually lighter which will result in more felt recoil.

Someone mentioned a S&W model 10, that might be a pretty good idea as the K-frame will weigh a little more. You might also look at a Ruger SP101 or a GP100.

Another alternative would be to buy a .22 conversion kit for the Glock (Advantage Arms makes a good one). This would enable her to practice with a zero-recoil round and still carry the .40 (or swap the 23 for a 19 to have a round that's not quite as "snappy"). I doubt she'd notice the recoil if she had to fight for her life.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Smile IMHO

Hello, I am fairly new to the board and shooting. But I would like to tell you I had carpal tunnel surgery 18 yrs ago, and was in an a car accident that I recieved a fair dose of wipe lash 6 months ago. The accident happened as I was really sinking my teeth into shooting, etc. That said, my husband talked to the woman working in the gun shop, and did the best thing for me, took me with him regularly and I got to handle alot of guns over time. I didn't like his Glock or the Taurus. I have settled with a Kahr PM9, I LOVE!!!! shooting the Springfield XD compact .45. I had a Kel-tec P3AT, wish I had it, it is not fun to shoot but could come in handy for light weight days.

I am hopeful the Ruger LCP .380 will be released soon, but heard that kel-tec may be filing a law suit.

I would be curious if she has handled a Browning Hi-power .380. Just handled one a week ago, Hubby said it maybe just a copy, etc. If she can handle a Glock.40 she may like the "fuller" feel of the grip more than I did.

This is all I can think of but I am sure there really are many options.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
    RW Emerson

NRA Member

Some of those .380's kick pretty good.
    Seems to me that a small steel framed 9mm may be a better choice.
    I'd look at the steel framed Kahrs or look at .38 snubbie revolvers.
    Ladies need stopping power too.

I own several (PM) Makarov's. They are reliable, but have a heavy recoil spring and only 8 rounds. My wife carries a CZ-82 with Georgia Arms 9x18 hollowpoints. Easier slide to pull, 12 rounds and reliable as a PM (Makarov). Great trigger and very accurate with poly chrome lined fixed barrel. No decocker though, she will need to learn to SAFELY lower the hammer to carry DA/SA mode. Mine wife carries chamber empty.

Wolff now has recoil springs for the CZ-82!

Resources\Ordering

Recoil is easier on the 82..... Your dealer can get the through AIM:
    AIM Czech CZ-82 9x18 Pistol Czech CZ-82 9x18 Pistol
    Last edited by Makarov; February 29th, 2008 at 04:41 AM. Reason: grammer

I know you stated you didn't want to go below a .380, but you might consider the Berretta Tomcat. It shoots a .32 ACP round, has a tip up barrell (don't need to rack slide, but you can), holds 7 +1 rounds, has external safety, very accurate for its small size, is DA/SA, fits a small hand very well and has minimal recoil IMO.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    My Wife also suffers from carpal tunnel (bilaterally) and has problems with shooting.

Since your Wife shot the Glock .40 for years before the problems, I would look into the G17 or 19 with a reduced power recoil spring (and solid steel rod, both by Wolff and available from Brownells and Midway). This was the suggestion made by Glock's Tech Supt when I spoke with them.

The S&W M&P is also rather "soft" on recoil, so in 9mm or .45 (less felt recoil than a .40) are worth trying.

I have a S&W 642CT and although easy to carry/shoot, the recoil (due to super short barrel) is rather sharp (and I don't have any hand problems). Not just my opinion, but I know a handful of people with the same gun and same reaction.

My first two ccw guns were .380 and the recoil from a .380 is very sharp in comparison to a 9mm IMNSHO.

Try the Bersa .380 Concealed Carry.

It's a great gun and one of its claims to fame is very little felt recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by JG01 View Post
    look into a Bersa .380, I think you're wife like it .

My wife picked the Bersa thunder too, not my fav but to each her own. I have an advance order in on a Ruger LCP, figure if I'm going to have 380 ammo around I'd get myself a pocket rocket. 50/50 my wife will adopt that one too though (hopefully it will have a little bite to it that will keep her away).

Senior Moderator
    The Bersa is pretty good pistol, but I carry my Makarov.

My wife likes the Bersa better too.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have the gun for your wife. I went to the range one day and rented the px4 beretta. I thought to myself, ' This is a gun for women!'
    They even make it subcompact.
    Have her rent ir, shoot it, I believe she'll love it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links