Need advice on a new carry pistol for my wife

Need advice on a new carry pistol for my wife

This is a discussion on Need advice on a new carry pistol for my wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey. I don't know if I've ever posted here or not, but then again I usually keep my mouth shut unless I really need to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Need advice on a new carry pistol for my wife

Hey. I don't know if I've ever posted here or not, but then again I usually keep my mouth shut unless I really need to ask something, like today.

I'm looking for a new carry gun for my wife. She's shot a glock .40 for years, but has developed some hand problems (arthritis and carpal tunnel) and can no longer shoot the glock. I carry a CZ Rami 9, and she really likes that, but some days it's too much as well.

What would you recommend that we try? I'm thinking something in either 9x18 or maybe .380. I really hate to go any lower than that.

Also, what are some of the softer shooting small guns out there? I've never owned a gun chambered for .380 or the Mak, so any information that you might have to offer would be great.

Thanks,
    Dow

try a Walther in .380

A revolver will normally have less felt recoil, so that might be an option if you want to stay with a higher calibre.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Check-out the new Ruger .380

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Depending on her condition , and assuming that she will carry a " heavy " handgun try the influx of hk p7s we have seen . You can get a p7 from cdnn or the like for under 600 bucks ( grade b which most have stated looks near new ) and it may well work for her now as in the years to come . Other than that i would suggest some 1911 possibly sub .45 cal for her hand strength . The p7 has a real low recoil due to weight and bore axis issues but does require a good trigger pull weight ( about 12 pounds ) of grip to initally cock it . Now this is spread out over the whole hand and not on one finger . Hope my post was food for thought in any event .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lots of folks have praised the soft shooting characteristic of the M&P line from S&W. An M&P C in 9mm might be soft enough. Plus, the grip on the M&P is very comfortable for a lot of people, and adjustable.

Is the problem only with self-defense rounds, or does it happen with lighter loaded practice rounds as well? Wondering if for practice she could use rounds with less kick, and carry something faster for self defense.

I don't know anything about the CZ Rami, but a heavier framed 9mm might also be something worth considering, since the weight will help soak up recoil. Something like a Sig P239 perhaps.

Good luck!

My girlfriend has left hand damage, she cannot operate a semi. She picked out a S&W 642CT .38 special and loves it. Very lightweight and comfortable.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

If you have local gun ranges that rent guns, I'd recommend that you take her out and let her actually shoot as many different types and calibers as you can.....

......then let her pick out her gun.

My .02 worth.

Seems to me that gun weight is more relevant than caliber. My Kahr PM 9 kicks worse than my 1911 .45. Same for a Kel-Tech .380.

Thanks for all ofthe great advice. Puppy, that has been my experience as well, although I tend to notice that effect more with rifles than with handguns (except for revolvers. A 4" or 6" wheel gun is always easier and more pleasant for me to shoot than a snubby).

Hopefully someone with experience with this caliber will chime in but what about the .45 GAP. Problem with all .380's I have shot is they are blow back design which in term feels like more recoil to me.

I'd suggest a Smith & Wesson Model 10 with 2-inch barrel. These hold six rounds of .38 Special +P 158 grain SWC goodness, are amazingly accurate, soak up recoil like sponges, conceal surprisingly well, are indestructable, and are generally available on the auction sites for under $300. Worried about buying a used revolver? Naah, don't be. S&W revolvers wear in, not out.

Thanks for joining! We always need to load up with more Texans. How's Boerne today? I'm sitting here in Brownwood as I type this.

If y'all came this way you both could shoot a selection of handguns in order to make a determination.

look into a Bersa .380, I think you're wife like it .

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'd suggest a Smith & Wesson Model 10 with 2-inch barrel. These hold six rounds of .38 Special +P 158 grain SWC goodness, are amazingly accurate, soak up recoil like sponges, conceal surprisingly well, are indestructable, and are generally available on the auction sites for under $300. Worried about buying a used revolver? Naah, don't be. S&W revolvers wear in, not out.

Thanks for joining! We always need to load up with more Texans. How's Boerne today? I'm sitting here in Brownwood as I type this.

If y'all came this way you both could shoot a selection of handguns in order to make a determination.
    Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here.

I hadn't really thought of a wheel gun, although I don't know why. I started out with one years ago, and have owned several, although I don't have one now. I'll give it some thought.

As for Boerne, it's windy as all get out today. Brownwood's a nice place. I've got a friend who has a cabin on the lake that I've been to a couple of times.

Senior Moderator
    I own a Makarov chambered in .380, Great gun and you can get Hogue grips for it, it is easier to shoot (as well as heavier) than my Bersa .380

Check out Makarov.com

and
    Comparison
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links