Been bit by 1911 bug - Want Bobbed Commander for CCW

This is a discussion on Been bit by 1911 bug - Want Bobbed Commander for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a bobtailed commander model 1911 for CCW. Dan Wesson seems to have the best prices, but I also know you get what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Been bit by 1911 bug - Want Bobbed Commander for CCW

Been bit by 1911 bug - Want Bobbed Commander for CCW

I'm looking for a bobtailed commander model 1911 for CCW. Dan Wesson seems to have the best prices, but I also know you get what you pay for a lot of times (not that they are cheap). Its my understanding that they also have their share of problems that I haven't heard of with Wilson Combat or Ed Brown models. Does anybody have any clear advantages, disadvantages or problems with any of the guns shops that manufacture these pistols? Any other manufacturers I should be looking at? I know Lima went with Wilson, but don't know if that was a personal preference or problems with the other guys.

Price is going to be a big factor, but if I need to save up a little longer, then so be it.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

2. Remove Ads

I saw a Cobra Carry at the gun shop...beautiful gun, I want one. But I don't have $2000 ish for a new piece. My solution is to build my own. I ordered a railed Commander frame and the bobtail kit from Brownells. I figure I'll try my hand at bobtailing a bare frame, if it turns out good, I'll buy the rest of the parts and finish the project. If it turns out badly....well, I've only ruined a bare frame.

JD
    Administrator
    Factory bobtails are pretty much limited to Dan Wesson, Wilson, Ed Brown, and NHC.

We went with the Wilson because it's what Lima wanted. In all honesty, we never even looked at Dan Wesson. Not for any faults they may or may not have.

We went about it the other way, Lima wasn't looking for a bobtailed 1911, we were looking for a Wilson or Nighthawk and I found her Wilson, which just happened to have a bobtail. What she really wanted was a Commander sized upper with an officers frame, but we found her bobtailed Professional at a price we couldn't pass up.

The Dan Wessons are fine guns, as long as you want a gun that's finished in bare stainless. I have heard few if any complaints on the Dan Wessons.

Now if you want something other than a bare SS 1911. I'd look at the Browns and the Wilsons. I have no first hand experience with Ed Browns other than fondling them at shops every chance I get. They appear very well built, but I don't personally care for the "scaling" of the cocking serrations.

The NHC guns are truly works of art, but they are probably the highest priced of the makers I've listed, and I really don't think you're getting anything more for your money.

If I were to buy another factory bobtailed 1911, I would probably go with the Dan Wesson CBOB and have it refinished later down the road.

If I were to buy another 1911 without a bobtail, it would probably be another Les Baer.

I have an Ed Brown Kobra Carry on my hip now. It is a superb 1911. I have two Wilson full sized 1911s and they are also superb. You can't go wrong with either company.
    Dave

I just picked up a new Colt XSE Commander.

The only thing I don't like about it is the ambi safety. When I press it down with my thumb, it hits my index finger on the other side. Ordered an Ed Brown replacement for it.

Anyway, I would like to have it bobbed. I noticed some place selling a jig to cut the frame and other places that sell the mainspring housings pre-formed. It doesn't look like it would be to complex to convert any 1911 to bobbed. That said, does anyone know of a good smith that will do this for a reasonable price?

It's an easy job with the Ed Brown jig and his MSH. Unless the gun is stainless, you'll need to figure in refinishing costs also...might be a good reason to get Triipp's hard chrome done! Once you're finished, you can do some for your friends, or sell the jig here on the forum.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

You can't really go wrong with the CBOB. If you want to spend 2 or 3 times what a CBOB costs, you can do that later. I'm personally a fan of stainless because I'm not a fan of spending money to re-finish a gun to keep it looking good. I carry my CBOB nearly all day, every day. When you do that, scratches are part of the game...I don't care what kind of wizzy gizzy finish you have on a gun. With bare stainless, those scratches are easy and cheap to make go away. You get a lot of "custom" parts with a CBOB, and IMHO you get a whole lot of gun for the money.

You can find people to gripe about any 1911 maker if you look. Yes, that includes EB, Wilson, NHC, DW, Colt, Springfield...all of them. I haven't had a single problem with my CBOB, and I didn't spend 2 or 3 grand.

However, when I do have 2 or 3 large ones burning a hole in my pocket, you can rest assured that I will have an EB, Wilson, NHC, et al. But until then, my CBOB does very nicely.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

I'm looking to purchase an Ed Brown Special Forces Commander (someday).

Photo from Ken Lunde
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I bought a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail and LOVE it. It got me started on my love affair with Bobtails. The next thing I did was buy a Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander (Lightweight) and had it Bobtailed. If you want to se it, go to OnTarget Home Page , select "1911 Gallery", then "Smith & Wesson Bobtail." I loved this pistol so much that it is one of my two daily carry guns. Then the bug struck again and I bought a Colt Commander XSE Lightweight and had it Bobtailed. I haven't finished breaking it in yet. If I had my druthers (Read money) I would have all of my 1911's Bobtailed. There is no better 1911 for carry and concealment. They hide better even than my Kimber Ultra Carry II. The Bobtail improves the comfort and shootability immensly for me. Alfack, check with Jess Gypin at On Target Custom Gun Works, he was very reasonable, quick and does superb work. email address and directions to see the gun above.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Alfack, check with Jess Gypin at On Target Custom Gun Works, he was very reasonable, quick and does superb work. email address and directions to see the gun above.
    Thanks. I will check them out. What kind of wait times do they have?

Administrator
    Jess at On Target. His work is flawless.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

+1 on the Ed Brown Kobra Carry. I love mine!!!

I love my bobtail Commanders... Brown Class A, Colt 1991 (Ned), and my latest, a Colt Lightweight XSE Commander (by EGW - no photos of this yet.)

My #1 1911 choice for a CCW. Awesome feel, 9 rnds w/full cap mags, great concealability, 4.25" bbl for keeping velocity up (important with .45acp). I love'em!
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I have been completely happy with my Dan Wesson CBOB. Regards, Richard

Watch it now. It usually starts with one but ends with many.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links