I finally got my first 1911

This is a discussion on I finally got my first 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by scbair Shoot it before you decide on "add-ons." Some folks (like me) are lucky enough that the standard grip safety & 1911 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I finally got my first 1911

Quote Originally Posted by scbair
    Shoot it before you decide on "add-ons." Some folks (like me) are lucky enough that the standard grip safety & 1911 spur hammer have never caused any discomfort. Only change what needs changing!
    I agree, I have a milspec and the only thing I have done to it is hogue grips. That I am thinking about changing. I will tell you this though. Expect two things when you pull the trigger. A trip through time experiencing what every soldier who has carried the weapon felt as he squeezed off a few( man I need to go shoot that thing) and instant, I mean, instant toe curledge..... "Was that good for you, yes sir! may I have another."
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

2. Remove Ads

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    "Alternatives"??
    They Exist?
    Can't be.
    There are others but they're not Alternatives, they're "others"
    And we won't ever discuss Plastic.

AFS
    There are 2 types of handguns, 1911's and those who want to be 1911's.
    IMHO they are the most comfertable sidearm there is, and they have timeless good looks. I like the commander model for CCW better than the 5", but many many people here cary the full size on a daily basis. Another thing, my SA is very finicky on the mags it likes, I heard the GI's are too.

Bruce,

I haven't experienced that with my GI. I've tried several 'cheap' mags as well as some higher dollar magazines. They all functioned flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    Bruce,

I haven't experienced that with my GI. I've tried several 'cheap' mags as well as some higher dollar magazines. They all functioned flawlessly.
    Huh, seems like the only mags I can get to work all the time everytime is the 2 that came with the gun.

Argh!!!!! Im not even at the range yet and Im having problems!

Im going to try to get to the range to test this gun tomorrow. So today I decided to field strip and clean it. The Barrel bushing is VERY tight. At first I was dumb, and put a wrench to it. Of course it lost grip of the bushing and very slightly marred the tip of the barrel. Thank god the crown is o.k.! I then used a dowel and hammer to tap the bushing clockwise. After a thorough cleaning, I thought the bushing would work smoothly. Wrong! This sucker still doesn't wanna work.

Now Im frustrated. Im going to put this project away for a few minutes.

Is it normal to have a super tight bushing? Any suggestions?

Is it tight on the barrel or the slide?

Administrator

Don't Worry

Best thing to do is exactly what you just did. Put the firearm away for a while.
    Frustration/anger & working on guns just don't mix.
    Buy a bushing wrench.
    They are cheap.
    Some barrel bushings do fit really tight in the slide.
    Put a small drop of oil on the bushing before you put it back it the slide.
    I like my bushings to fit just loose enough so that I can field strip without a bushing wrench.
    Sometimes after you disassemble a few times they get easier to move all by themselves.
    Once you get your bushing wrench you can "work" the bushing back & forth inside the slide for a while & that usually helps wear it in to your slide.

Is it tight on the barrel or the slide?
    The slide

Tomorow im going to look for a wrench. I think it would be even harder to assemble, than diassemble

Get a plastic bushing wrench not a steel one

Mental note to self: Never do anything that requires thinking when I wake up!

At work I was cursing my bushing delima. When it occurred to me, to use the proper tools. I got home took out the good old Break free, and channel lock pliers. I let the CLP soak into the bushing and notch in the slide, and presto! The bushing is moving, not easily but its moving.

I read an internet article on how to use the parts of a 1911 as disassembly tools. John Browning forgot to add a part to use as channel lock pliers! Im abit ticked how I didn't do this earlier, now my slide and barrel is scratched. Ya know... My grandpa Never liked shiny new guns, he claimed they had no character. Maybe hes right?

Hopefully Ill get a chance to try out this newly beat up 1911, today when I wake up.

Administrator

no no

not channel lock pliers.
    one of these (below)
    They are only a couple of dollars.
    Any good gun shop in your area should sell them.
    Sometimes you can get a printed nylon one
    free from a large gun store.

RANGE REPORT:

I fired about half abox of ammo. My cases come out dented. Form what I ve been told, the extractor needs adusting? Pluse on the last round or two of the mag I get feeding falures. Im gussing need new or different mags?
    On the pluse side. I dont need a bevertail safty, and sight replacement isnt nessesary, but disireable. I would say the recoil is much easyer to handle than my Glock 19. Im guessing that the longer tube, and low pressure ammo has someting to do with it.

Dented cases are normal as it doesnt have a lowered nor flared ejection port before ya go buying new mags shoot it some more to break it in usually take about 500 rounds at most usually by 2-300 it should ahve most of the failures stopped..

make sure you lube it good

My GI dents the cases too. I think they all do. No real damage to the brass though - I've reloaded brass shot (and dented) by my GI in excess of 6 times without a problem.

That's a relief

An older gentlemen at the range was the person who suggested I fix the extractor. Hes probably used to older Colts, or heavily customised 1911s. Or doesn't know what hes talking about. I was wondering if the feeding failure might of had to do with the break in period. I decided to stop shooting, until I got some input from you guys. After all I did enough damage using channel lock's
    Ill try to kill of this box, maybe two boxes. Tomorrow and or Sunday.

make sure you lube it good
    I was scared that it was over lubed, from all of the CLP I used on the bushing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links