Long Lost and Finally Found - Page 2

Long Lost and Finally Found

This is a discussion on Long Lost and Finally Found within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad to hear you are getting your revolver back!! Hope it is in good condition. If not write S&W a letter telling your story and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Glad to hear you are getting your revolver back!! Hope it is in good condition. If not write S&W a letter telling your story and they just might hook you up.
    Also good to see another criminal off the streets.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Odds are the original thief sold it shortly after steling it and it's probably been sold several times thereafter. Too bad it can't talk. Glad you're getting it back.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I'll bet that the bail bondsman bought it in good faith and had no idea that it was hot.

This shows the value in getting/giving a private bill of sale. If said bail bondsman can produce one, he'll be off the hook and the police can follow the chain of custody backwards (perhaps).

Congrats on getting it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Also good to see another criminal off the streets.

Congrats! I'm sure you considered it long gone.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
    Of course it is possible that Billy Bob is not the thief and had purchased your (stolen) gun from another. Innocent until proven guilty.
    So true. The same things happen to a friend of mine. Purchased a used gun at a pawn store. Routine traffic stop for speeding. Officer asked to search his car, he said “sure”. LEO finds weapon in center consol of auto. Ran the gun, and him for W.W. and wala the pistol is stolen. Arrested him for possession of a stolen gun.

Since he had a receipt, for the pistol, and the pawn store had checked it to see if it was reported stolen, the DA dropped charges.

However; the problem came from his work. He was a manager trainee for an insurance company, and with a felony arrest on his record, he could not get an insurance license.

Not only did he spend two nights in jail, before they arraigned him so he could post bail, it took him three years, and 10k for attorneys to get the felony arrest removed from his record. And oh ya.. He lost his job because of the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
    Of course it is possible that Billy Bob is not the thief and had purchased your (stolen) gun from another. Innocent until proven guilty.
    I referenced him as I did, not because he may have been the thief (I really doubt he is), but because as a CC permit holder-fromFL-he should have known the law of LA before carrying there. From Hangunlaw.us, a police station is the first on the list of prohibited places in LA. I was not presuming guilt, just ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    So true. The same things happen to a friend of mine. Purchased a used gun at a pawn store. Routine traffic stop for speeding. Officer asked to search his car, he said “sure”. LEO finds weapon in center consol of auto. Ran the gun, and him for W.W. and wala the pistol is stolen. Arrested him for possession of a stolen gun.

Since he had a receipt, for the pistol, and the pawn store had checked it to see if it was reported stolen, the DA dropped charges.

However; the problem came from his work. He was a manager trainee for an insurance company, and with a felony arrest on his record, he could not get an insurance license.

Not only did he spend two nights in jail, before they arraigned him so he could post bail, it took him three years, and 10k for attorneys to get the felony arrest removed from his record. And oh ya.. He lost his job because of the incident.
    Here's a perfect example of somebody who had nothing to hide (he thought) and wanted to cooperate with the law. He gave up his Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure when he consented to the search.

You DON'T have to consent, and you DON'T have to give the LEO a reason. If he has probable cause to suspect you of a crime (other than speeding), he doesn't need your consent to conduct a search. IANAL, but my brother is. In fact, he's now a Superior Court judge, and has advised me and others to never voluntarily waive a right. Traffic Stop Scenario | FlexYourRights.org

CAVEAT: I'm not talking about notifying an officer that you're armed if you're in a state that requires that.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Strange but true.

In Clark County Nevada, all handguns must be registered with the SO.

When a handgun is purchased from a dealer your must fill out the paper work including the registation and they hand you a "blue card" showing the handgun had been registered, the name of the current owner, the date of sale and discripition of the handgun

On private purchases you must take the handgun to the nearest Clark County SO/local PD and register the weapon ASAP.

Possession of an unregistered hand gun can get you jail time and loss of the weapon.

In the mid 1980's I purchased a 6 inch S&W model 28 from a local gun store, completed all the paper work and took it home.

2 years later I traded the gun to another local gun store for a 1911.

3 days after I traded it, A Las Vegas metro detective called me and wanted me to turn in the handgun as it had been stolen.

He checked the records for some reason and knew that I had purchased the handgun 2 years prior.

We had quite a discussion when I told him that I had traded it to the local gun store.

He became quite belligerent and threating. Including telling me I was lying and he would be coming to my place of work and take me out in handcuffs.

Nevada has a law which make possesson of stolen property a felony regardless if you have knowledge of it being stolen or not.

AS a former LEO, I was currently working for another state agency as a criminal investigator, (no arrest powers) but full investigative powers including search warrants subponeas Etc

I advised him he better CYA or we would be going to legal war.

Two days later he checked the store and confirmed I had traded it in.
    The store owner had sold the gun to a FFL dealer from Texas the day after I had traded it.

As it turned out the handgun had been stolen from the same store, I had traded it to, 6 years before. It was one of the guns taken in a massive gun theft, over 60 guns were stolen.

It had been registered several times and they had not caught up to the gun owners until I purchased it. Then it took them 2 years to contact me.

The store owner knew me quite well and since I had the "blue card" he didn't check the gun through LV Metro PD, when I traded it in.

Bottom line, The Metro Det wanted the store owner to contacted the dealer in Texas, get the gun back so that is could be run through the system and then returned sometime to the store.

The store owner TOLD the Metro Det that if he wanted the gun, then this was the Texas dealers information, he could contact him hisself.

The case of the stolen gun was eventually closed as Gun recovered no arrests made.

I continued dealing with that store for some 15 years afterwards and we still enjoyed reminising and good nature kidding about any Gun I purchased from him or any gun I traded in.
    Last edited by Beans; March 5th, 2008 at 06:57 AM. Reason: spelling error

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Turtleguy, Don't have alot of respect for Bondsman. Make their money off of honest hard working folks to bail their kids out or criminals getting their fellow cronies out of jail and back on the streets to possibly commit ANOTHER criminal act. MO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links