Kaboom in .40 Beretta

This is a discussion on Kaboom in .40 Beretta within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went shooting today with a friend from work. He has invited me on a hog hunt on his family's land in October so it ...

Thread: Kaboom in .40 Beretta

Kaboom in .40 Beretta

I went shooting today with a friend from work. He has invited me on a hog hunt on his family's land in October so it seemed the least I could do to provide a place to sight in rifles. After a rather uneventful rifle shooting session he suggested shooting handguns. I was shooting some hot handloads in my .45 Colt 4 5/8" Blackhawk. He was shooting a Glock 23 at another target. When he came back to the shooting table I noticed he was loading the mag with soft round nose lead 180 grain .40 S&W ammo. I casually mentioned that it is generally accepted that soft lead bullets in a Glock is NOT a good idea. He shrugged off my advice and pulled out a .40 S&W Beretta. This to he loaded with the soft lead round nose ammo. I was looking at the box while he was shooting. The ammo was made by Lancer Ammo. It had Winchester brass and soft round nose lead bullets that you could dent with your finger nail. After about ten rounds I heard my friend cry out in pain. He brought me the pistol and the bar that runs between the trigger and the sear was blown almost all the way off! Only the hard rubber grips were preventing it from dropping off. The small spring that works the bar was broken and my friend's hand was powder burned. When we freed the slide It ejected a shell that was a classic Kaboom. The ENTIRE unsupported area of the shell was peeled back.
    My friend seemed uninformed of what a Kaboom was and how close he had just come to injury. I gently tried to explain that this was what I was trying to tell him about soft lead bullets in his G23. However, I had no idea that the Beretta would Kaboom with this ammo. I just checked the Lancer site and they stated thier brass is "remanufactured" but I did not see them listing the kind of soft lead 180 grain .40 bullets that blew up today.

2. Remove Ads

Not good .. The lead shouldnt have been a problem in the beretta unless im mistaken i think its a Standard rifled barrel .. Probley a double charge..

Only reloaded ammo i shoot is mine

Lead Moderator
    intresting. Any gun can Kb. I had a Taurus PT 140 Kb this year. Why do you think the lead bullets were the cause? Personally , I would blame
    1. Weak brass
    2. too hot of load
    3. bullet set back
    4. worn gun
    Unless the barrel seems to be bulged or damaged, I wouldn't think the bullet would be the problem. Glad your friend is ok. BTW, from what I have read, only the polygonal rifled barrels are bad to use soft lead in.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like it fired out of battery.

Depending on the configuration of the lead bulletnose, it may have closed enough to fire yet still not be fully locked.
    When touched off, the bullet fires but being out of battery the pressure goes out the back end instead of the front end. That would explain the peeled back brass because it caught most of the pressure.

Cool Maybe a Squib Load?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Sounds like it fired out of battery.

Depending on the configuration of the lead bulletnose, it may have closed enough to fire yet still not be fully locked.
    When touched off, the bullet fires but being out of battery the pressure goes out the back end instead of the front end. That would explain the peeled back brass because it caught most of the pressure.
    That was my first thought, too (fired out of battery) and my next thought was he double tapped behind a squib load so the barrel was blocked and KABOOM!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Gun was brand new. Less than 25 rounds according to the owner. I pocketed a few rounds of the ammo he was going to throw it away anyway. All of it I checked was in specs. I pulled several bullets and the powder looked a lot like AA #5 but with powder it is hard to tell. Powder weights seemed reasonable. Kinda a mystery to me but I did look up the Beretta owners manual online and it does give rather stern warnings about not shooting lead bullets. It says if you do shoot jacketed bullets after lead with out cleaning throughly first excessive pressures may result.

HUMMMMMMM......

VIP Member
    Yikes...as a Beretta 96F Centurion owner, I find news of any fine Beretta product blowing up, disturbing.

Sorry about your friend's hand.

Links