How often do you clean your firearm?(MERGED) - Page 2

How often do you clean your firearm?(MERGED)

This is a discussion on How often do you clean your firearm?(MERGED) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After handling or use....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you clean your firearm?(MERGED)

VIP Member
    After handling or use.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    For most of my pistola's...
    After each range visit, or 6 months of inactivity in the safe...which ever comes first...
    +1 Restsup! Dang....he always posts first.............
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Each gun that goes on a range trip and gets fired gets cleaned. My Dad taught me that. The Army reinforced it. Just wouldn't seem right to put them away dirty.

I shoot a lot of revolvers (all fun guns, no carry revolvers - though the 4" GP100 with CT grips could be used for HD) so I made myself a cleaning tool for revolver cylinders.

I made it out of a bit of 1/4" 12L17 hex stock I had in my box of miscellaneous bits of metal. I saw the piece of metal and the idea hit me that it would take a lot of the work out of cleaning revolver chambers. It took about 10 minutes in the lathe to make it.

The business end is threaded 8-32, the other end was machined to an electric screwdriver. The screw driver turns slow enough that it works well as a power chamber cleaning tool.

For .357 magnum, I use an S&W .40 bore brush to clean the cylinder. For .45 Colt I use a .500 magnum bore brush to clean the cylinder. For .22 revolver I use a .243 bore brush to clean the cylinder.

Soak the cylinder over night in M-PRO7 or even Hoppe's #9, then a few seconds with the power brush and the cylinder is clean as new. There is usually no metal fouling in the cylinder so powder solvent works fine.

I take the cylinders out of the revolvers to soak them. Easy with the S&W, a bit more involved with the GP100 but still pretty easy with some practice.

The semi-autos are much easier to clean!

Fitch

I find cleaning of my handguns quite relaxing, so I normally do it at least once a week, whether they get shot or not. I also clean every time after shooting as well. Its just another way to make sure that things will function properly when the need is greatest.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Safe queens get a wipe down with the silicone or riggs about once a month.. They get a thourough inspection and cleaning annually.. My CCW pieces get cleaned after each range trip. To expand on that... if I carry the gun, it gets shot weekly if I am in town or at least monthly if I am traveling. I firmly believe in being proficient with the gun I carry, thus it gets a few mags through it right regular...

I have also started using dry lubes on my CCW pieces to reduce the attraction of dirt/lint/debris. The guys in Iraq have put me onto some good stuff... Newsletter
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

I fully clean after every range trip. My range trips are usually on a Friday after work and I don't clean the gun(s) until Saturday night, but they're still cleaned after shooting.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I clean my carry gun after every range trip,and wipe it down and coat it with oil to prevent rusting from sweat in the hot months.As for my range guns i will clean them after 3 or 4 range trips.Sometimes i try to see how long it will go before a weapon starts FTF from crud and some automatics will keep shooting and shooting,so it's kinda comforting to know that a lot of times after 500+ rounds the weapon is still functioning well.Like i said the firearms I trust my life too are cleaned and lubed regularly

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If I fire once, I clean my autoloading handguns. I even enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoy making them dirty.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

CCW and range guns.

I clean my CCW once a week, minus the bore. The bore gets it when it's been shot, usually every two weeks. Detail strip twice a year.

Range guns get cleaned after they've been shot. Detail strip once a year.

After every time I shoot, without exception, they get field stripped and cleaned. My carry gun gets a wipe down every 2-3 days.

Even if I only fire one shot through it I will clean it. I also clean everyone of my guns every other month even if they have not been fired. A clean gun is a healthy gun.

Wipe it down with an oily rag after each shooting session. Field strip clean about once a month/800-1k rds. Detail stip clean about every 2k. 5" Les Baers. I can't justify more.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Good topic ! Now a question along the same lines.... Do folks have any suggestions for a cleaner that doesn't make the gun smell like a freshly cleaned gun ?? I dislike carrying a gun that makes me stink (any more than I already do). Opinions or suggestions would be appreciated !! Thanks, mike

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Mike28. See my reply to your thread. MILITEC-1 is much better than CLP. Check out their website. They will send you a 1 ounce sample bottle that goes a long way if you are active duty military. I bought a 16 oz. bottle early last year and still have a little less than half a bottle left. Have converted alot of fellow shooters at my local match IPSC club over to it.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I have no safe queens. I shoot a couple of times a week and clean 'em every week. Dennis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links