How often do you clean your firearm?(MERGED)

This is a discussion on How often do you clean your firearm?(MERGED) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; after evertime i shoot, no matter how many rounds. on "q" days on the job it takes me two days to clean all of the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often do you clean your firearm?(MERGED)

after evertime i shoot, no matter how many rounds. on "q" days on the job it takes me two days to clean all of the weapons i shoot.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I've always cleaned after every shoot, regardless of the round count. I don't shoot my rifle very much, but I keep it in a zippered case, so I don't worry about cleaning if it isn't used for a while.

I clean after every trip to the range. It was drummed into my head to do it that way back in my Army days, and I'm a "If-It-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it" kind of guy...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

After every range session.

Quote Originally Posted by mike28w View Post
    Do folks have any suggestions for a cleaner that doesn't make the gun smell like a freshly cleaned gun ??
    I have stared using Simple Green at about 6:1. Because it dose not evaporate quickly I will hit the parts with compressed air before lube, and reassembly.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Sponsor
    Anyone ever heard that you can excessively clean a firearm too much over it's lifetime and damage it?

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

After evey range session- field stripped and cleaned. Periodically wipe down with silicone cloth between times. Break Free and FP10.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

I was always taught right after a range trip, break er down as far as I can and clean it the hell out of it, my carry does get looked at and stripped monthly and oiled, my others get re-oiled the night before a range trip. I have a humidifier in my safe so I don't really worry about rust.

I would like to follow suite here, but I cannot honestly say I clean mine after every time I shoot them. Let the , , and begin.

My 1911s get cleaned every 200 or so rounds or monthly, which ever comes first or whichever I remember. They do, however, get oil frequently.

My M&Ps get cleaned probably every 1,000 rounds or monthly and oiled and inspected every time I shoot them or holster them for carry. Seeing that the M&Ps are combat pistols, I feel they should be able to take some abuse.

Maybe I am wrong, but that's my credo. If someone could provide expert testimony as to why a gun should be cleaned EVERY time it is shot, I may change my ways.

A thorough cleaning after any firing. Once a week I take a patch and put one drop of Break Free on it and run it thru the bore to get any lint and dirt then I wipe the gun down. Since the gun is stainless, I think thats all thats necessary unless I get it in a situation where I got it dirtier or wetter. IF I were carrying a blued weapon, then I would wipe it down every night.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I clean after every range visit. I "spot clean" my carry gun once a week. I also do a function check every morning. Is this something other folks do as well, or am I just odd?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Clean your Firearm

How often do you clean your firearm? I clean mine everytime I go to the range and shoot. Also, if it has been a few weeks I'll put some EEsox on the slide and surface.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I run the boresnake (dry) through it every time I shoot. I strip, blow out with compressed air, wipe with a cloth and wipe wear points with oiled cloth about once a month.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I clean mine after shooting. If they sit for too long without shooting, I'll rub them down - probably not as often as I should. They all still look & function like near new so it's working..

I've been meaning to ask a couple of questions:

1) Break-Free cleaner/lube - I've heard both sides regarding this product, both from supposed professionals. What's your opinion?

2) When I was in boot camp, I found that taking a shower with my M-16 was the fastest and most thorough way of cleaning out the sand and dirt. After drying the parts they were much easier to clean, then with a nice lube job the gun looked and performed like new. I was usually the 1st finished and had the cleanest weapon. Others soon followed. Obviously, the parts need to be dried but aside from that, is there any harm?

I also passed many inspections with the help of black glossy spray paint but that's a different story..

dv
    "A right unexercised is a right lost."

www.myspace.com/dvickery

I usually clean my carry gun every week unless I go to the range, then its as soon as I get home. As for the rest of my guns, as often as I can or every time I shoot them. I've also been told several times that Im obsessed but theres not a guns anonymous meeting anywhere so I think Ill be fine
    70 TONS OF ROLLING THUNDER!!!!!
    Death Before Dismount

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links