Choose 2 guns to stake your life on... - Page 2

Choose 2 guns to stake your life on...

This is a discussion on Choose 2 guns to stake your life on... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; tough choice seeing I have so many.........gotta be a 1911....and any of the 'Rock N Roll" variety I lay my hands on first.. But quite ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Choose 2 guns to stake your life on...

tough choice seeing I have so many.........gotta be a 1911....and any of the 'Rock N Roll" variety I lay my hands on first.. But quite possibly 7.62x39 AK variety since they work under the most extreme conditions

<whispering> I'll bury the rest of em for later
    then again.thinking here.......a 22 pistol with a suppressor, instead of the 1911, would work wonders for getting game, and also taking out your opponent in order to get his/her weapon
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

M1A and a toss up between my .45 Commander and my 9mm SIG P225... cant I have em both....
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Long gun would be my FAL, more ramge, capacity and thump than my SKS's, but if I didn't have the FAL, the SKS would make me very happy.
    Handgun is tough - it would be a tossup between my 7 1/2" SAA .45 Colt, my 1930's .45ACP N frame Smith, leaving my 1911's and 9mm autos and smaller pistols at home.
    The SAA will hit very accurately at long range, the Smith is just the best DA revolver I have ever owned and shoots .45 ACP with or without moon clips. Both are very deadly, buth very accurate, and I'd hate to leave either one behind.
    Best I can do, sorry.
    mark

1911 and my Rem 870.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

M1 variant (socom II) and glock 21.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for all the replies so far. Like I mentioned, I am considering buying 1 handgun & 1 long gun specifically for the purpose of being some day "hidden away". The Glock 19 seems like it would be the best bet in a handgun, but I'm of course always open to other suggestions. There seems to be some wide differences of opinion on the long gun though.

I did say, and am definitely thinking, of a "survival" situation, which will mean I'm probably going to be doing some hunting. But, I am definitely also concerned with defense against animals of the 2-legged variety. I will have to buy whatever it will be, and it will have to be relatively inexpensive, either extremely durable or easy to fix / find parts for - preferably both! - and have very common, easy to find ammo. I grew up with an 870, so that is a very tempting option. However, I can envision, in a SHTF situation, there could very well be valid reasons to take longer-than-typical-self-defense shots that might be best handled by a rifle. And obviously, I can also hunt with a rifle - though there might not be much left to eat of a duck hit with a 5.56 round that fully fragments...

Given that, I'm not really asking "what would you take from your current collection". I'm asking, given the choice of any gun you can get your hands on (at least before the next AWB...), what would you choose & why.

Thanks again to all!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    My HK USPc 40 and my 270 for the longer stuff
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

VIP Member
    CZ P-01, 9mm so ammo readily available, NATO approved, passed VERY rigorous torture test. For my second gun, my Ruger M77 30-06, one again ammo should not be a problem, good range for hunting food, and if I needed a AR or AK it would allow me to take one from the BG's! Another Plus for the 30-06 is the versitility, download to a 22 sabot, running about 4000fps, up to a 220 gr round nose that will drop a moose on it's butt!

S&W Model 28 6in barrel, Remington model 11 12 ga full choke

I'm With Mercalf -baby Eagle 9mm Or Any Baby Eagle !!!! Long Range Would Be 18"-20" In .308 Rem Or Savage With A Leupold Scope Mil Dot

VIP Member
    M4gery and Beretta M9 (92F). If this is TEOTWAWKI, there are going to be troops all over the place. These troops will have these weapons, these magazines, and this ammo. So do a large number of other folks. Both are solid, reliable, durable weapons (if not perfect for everything) and can handle just about any chore you can throw at them. Funds permitting, a suppressor goes in the hole for each of them.

A .45 Long Colt and a .300 Magnum? Good guns and cartridges, certainly, but if you will never see the inside of a gun store or ammo shop again, are they really reasonable? I hope you have a lot of ammo stored all over the country - there's no gaurantee that you'll be able to stay safe at home, remember? And parts? Accessories? Scrounging capabilities?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Mine are a Ruger .357 and a Mossberg 12 gauge, but if I had the money, I'd go AZ Husker's route.
    Robert John Stewart, The Lost King of Scotland

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    My Daisy Red Ryder, with the compass in the stock.... It'll put an eye out!!
    Seriously though, I would take my 1911, and a one of my bolt rifles in an easy caliber to find....
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

You are talking of hiding the guns, so I am assuming (dangerous) that we also would be hiding the guns. I have thought of this and am working on it now.
    My rifle I intend to hide along with a lot of ammo is an AK47, the pistol will be an AK47 as well. This way I have some interchangable parts and they use the same ammo. I would never trust that after a 'Ban' that I would be able to get parts or ammo, so when they are hidden the ammo and spare parts will be hidden as well. Once thes are hidden I would hope if things went sour I would be able to sneak a few other rifles and pistols plus ammo out as well.

If you have to hide your guns, such as burying them, there are areas where some would not be able to bury their guns in the same area as where they live. If all chaos erupted, how would you make it to your guns with the world outside going to hades?
    Robert John Stewart, The Lost King of Scotland

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links