Choose 2 guns to stake your life on... - Page 6

Choose 2 guns to stake your life on...

This is a discussion on Choose 2 guns to stake your life on... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 30-06, bolt action plenty of ammo, range, accuracy, and power whatever I shoot is dead before the sound gets to them silencer-threaded .22 plenty of ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Choose 2 guns to stake your life on...

30-06, bolt action
    plenty of ammo, range, accuracy, and power
    whatever I shoot is dead before the sound gets to them

silencer-threaded .22
    plenty of ammo, stealth, accuracy, and concealability
    sometimes quiet is the best way out of a bad place

From amongst guns I own?
    I would definitely take my G26, sure its small and conciealability isnt relevant anymore, but its a glock, a 9mm, and Im dang good with it.
    As for the other, either my Rock River AR with the colt 9mm lower, so I can share ammo, or my brand spankin new ak, because its a proven rugged gun, and the 7.62 isnt a bad hunting round.

1911 and ak-47

Curious

Since most everyone is picking one handgun and one rifle or shotgun. Why is that? Maybe I am assuming the wrong thing but my thought was a SHTF or gun ban scenario.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Since most everyone is picking one handgun and one rifle or shotgun. Why is that? Maybe I am assuming the wrong thing but my thought was a SHTF or gun ban scenario.
    Because that's what he asked in the OP

While I am not particularly a Glock fan, I cannot discredit a 19 or 17 as my SHTF dig-it-outta-da-ground handgun. Seems the very reason that many have selected a Glock (availability of parts and ammo) is in fact being reflected in this thread.

As for a long gun, I am having a hard time deciding between a Ruger 10/22 or a Remington 870. Based solely on versatility, the 870 gets it.

Survival isn't M.O.U.T.

Personally, I'd take a 1911 for dealing with miscreants. I'm not going to go looking for them, so the dynamic of them coming to me looking dfor a score is the same as today.

For a long gun, I'll take the 12ga pump. It's versatile enough to take large and small game, can be used for SD/HD and will be usefull in solving this dilema of having only two guns.

Glock 19 and M4.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    M&P in 9mm and an SRT from LWRC. ( I love the sound of acronyms in the morning...)

If we were truly in a "the government has collapsed, society has broken down" situation, my first order of business would be to gather up my supplies. Next would be to find a "safe" place to settle. Third would be to start locating and attracting others to set up a community.

I only mention this because unless you live in the boonies, or we assume a plague has wiped out 95% of the earths population, the best way to survive and prosper is with a group. And when you have a group, individual weapon characteristics don't weigh quite so heavily. This isn't to say any old gun will do, but just that my hope would be that i could find a core group of 10-20 folks to combine forces/defense with. Strength in numbers and all that. Hopefully we would be able to pool our AR's, AK's, and other assorted arms/ammo.

But who knows, there are a few folks with very strong individualistic streaks...
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Probably a USP and kalashnikov.

Now I don't own either, but I figure I intend to rely on a USP as my CCW so I guess I entrust my life to it.

If this is a more realist perspective, I'd take a Glock 22, and trade the kalashnikov to Kevin Costner (a-la waterworld) for a Glock 19 asap. If I have to find ammo good luck finding a police stockpile that ISNT loaded with either 9mm or .40 rounds.

Any gun ??? I would have to go with a 9mm as well, I believe I would go with the Glock 18 (full Auto version of G17). And a Remington 870 18.5" barrel w/3 shot extension and Sure-fire light for back-up..

Quote Originally Posted by notagangsta View Post
    Because that's what he asked in the OP
    So he did I'm embarrassed
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    So he did I'm embarrassed
    It's impossible to read every word in every post accurately every time. I keep expecting myself to post a reply in a totally different thread other than the one I intend to post in.

As for my answer to the OP, this is all I can come up with: Dang you guys... I'm still trying to figure out which handgun, and now you throw in a long gun, too!

Lots of food for thought in this thread, though. I sense my budget is going to take another hit at some point. Is there no end to this?

After reading that forum, and considering the advice:

Iíve already taken the appropriate action with a G19, and a composite stock rifle and a generous amount of ammo for both.

As to purchasing cheep guns... Why, would you do that if youíre going to count on these weapons as a last chance survival?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    G19 for the handgun. I'm a fan of the AR platform and between that or an AK I would take the AR. However, if I can choose something else, I would like a short bbl bolt action .308.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links