Choose 2 guns to stake your life on...

This is a discussion on Choose 2 guns to stake your life on... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The excrement has hit the fan, it's the end of the world as we know it. All of your weapons have been stolen / confiscated ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Choose 2 guns to stake your life on...

Choose 2 guns to stake your life on...

The excrement has hit the fan, it's the end of the world as we know it. All of your weapons have been stolen / confiscated (same thing, really) except for the 2 you had buried in the back yard (or stashed somewhere / anywhere else). You have one handgun & one long gun (shotgun or rifle). What I want to know is this:

What are your two guns?

My guess is that the handgun of choice will be some model of Glock in 9mm, but which model? It should be concealable, but we're talking about pure survival here, so sub-compact may not be the best choice?

I'd also guess the long gun would be an assault rifle of some kind, either an AK or AR-variant. Which one? Assuming you are in the US, will it be easier to find 5.56 or 7.62x39 ammo? Anything else to consider? Anyone pick a 12ga with some slugs in this scenario?

I assume most would make this decision based on perceived reliability &/or availability of parts & ammo, as well as effectiveness. Let me know what your opinions are, and preferably why you would make those choices.

I'm seriously considering doing exactly this, though not (yet!) actually burying them anywhere. In light of this, both guns should be at least relatively inexpensive, and I don't care at all about what they look like. I want to get these two for survival purposes - once I've done that, then I can get all the 'pretty' guns I want simply because I want them.

Thanks for what I hope will be lots of input & advice!

The inspiration for the question was this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post650700
    Last edited by dang.45; March 3rd, 2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added another stipulation...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd take a G19 soley because I'd be burying it... and parts and ammo are easy to get, repairs are as easy as it gets too.

Long gun, I'd take an 870. It will do just about anything from hunting duties to defense with a huge variety of loads available.
    "Just blame Sixto"

16" AR whatever flavor and my new 1911! .45 should be easy to find in america, and you only have to hit them once! the 1911 has been killing bg's for 97 years, AR 30years war proven! and extra mags and lots of ammo, some water purifacation straws, a first aid kit, and 200 snickers, I love snickers!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    16" AR whatever flavor and my new 1911! .45 should be easy to find in america, and you only have to hit them once! the 1911 has been killing bg's for 97 years, AR 30years war proven! and extra mags and lots of ammo, some water purifacation straws, a first aid kit, and 200 snickers, I love snickers!
    Mmmmm, Snickers... I hadn't thought about other supplies, but I like the idea of the water purification straws!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd take a G19 soley because I'd be burying it... and parts and ammo are easy to get, repairs are as easy as it gets too.

Long gun, I'd take an 870. It will do just about anything from hunting duties to defense with a huge variety of loads available.
    +1 on the whole combo. I know that I can get my hands on 9mm ammo and I know my G19 will shoot anything I find.

870 is reliable and easy to find the parts/ammo for.

My baby <- IMI Desert Eagle 9mm.

My other baby: Weatherby Vanguard .300 Wby Mag.

If I'm close enough for shotgun, it'd be my pistol. If I need to hunt anything - I'd take my rifle. And unlike a pistol shotgun combo, my rifle can reach out and touch another zip code, or 2 :)

lol about the Snickers comment. Reeses is far superior - but really. NOTHING HANDLES YOUR HUNGER BETTER. Grab a snickers. (or 200)
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

The Glock 19 would be my choice for handgun, but since I'm not much for rifles or any other type of long gun, I will choose a full size .45. The SIG P220 is the best .45 I've ever owned or shoot. The main reason for both of these choices is that the .45 and 9mm are probably the biggest, most used 2 rounds in the world today.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by Mercalf View Post
    If I'm close enough for shotgun, it'd be my pistol. If I need to hunt anything - I'd take my rifle. And unlike a pistol shotgun combo, my rifle can reach out and touch another zip code, or 2 :)
    Agreed! My .40 baby eagle and scoped Remington 700 .300 Win Mag would foot the bill just fine! If i can get somewhere high and be able to see them afar off, or just be in sniper mode, i'm going to want something that i can be PLENTY far away from and be able to shoot long distances. I think that combo would give me the best chance of survival!
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

I'll take my G19 and my Mossy 590 12ga.
    Nick.

XD9 and a 995 carbine. Both shoot 9mm, so no problem on ammo compatability, and if worse came to worse, I could hunt with the 995. Also, both are cheap and I don't believe any would be the worse for wear after a few years underground. Obviously, I would like to have one of my 30-30's or 30.06's, also. Surely they wouldn't take 'hunting' guns, right?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I'm gonna cheat just a little tiny bit... Three guns for the price of two. One of mine would be the Savage 24 over-under... 20ga with .223 on top. For the handgun, my Colt CCO.

I'm assuming a scenario where I have to kill my own food... In the rocky mountains that combination should be okay. Ideally, I'd like a Remington 700 .308 in the mix, but....
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

kpw
    G19 & M1 or M1A

Beretta M9 pistol - 9mm
    Mossberg 500 shotgun - 00 buck for SD and bird shot for hunting
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Probably an AR-15 and a 1911. Lots of available ammo, especially in North America. I'd also have a Surefire and lots of batteries in the stash (among other things).
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Marlin or Winchester lever in .44 Mag
    S&W 629
    Same ammo for both.
    Lewis128 likes this.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links