Subcompact Carry Options - Page 2

Subcompact Carry Options

This is a discussion on Subcompact Carry Options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where the heck did you find that two tone rami? But +1 on the Rami, its DA/SA or you could carry it cocked and locked ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subcompact Carry Options

Where the heck did you find that two tone rami? But +1 on the Rami, its DA/SA or you could carry it cocked and locked if you wanted to. It fits in alot of Glock 26 holsters. It comes in 9mm and 40. And you can get extended mags for it. I have an alloy version in 9mm that is my new favorite carry gun. Or if you want to go cheaper, you could look at the third generation Taurus Mil-Pros, they come in about any caliber and capacity you can think of, and are inexpensive and easy to carry. I prefer to buy brand new guns for carry pieces. Just because then I know exactly how the gun was treated. The Bersas seem to be well liked as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    Where the heck did you find that two tone rami? .........
    I bought it from a dealer that was selling them on GunBroker right before Christmas. $350 with 2 10 rd mags! He had a bunch of them and I believe they were a special run. My local dealer said BUY IT! there was no way he could match it. Here is a link to his web-site:

Tanner's Sport Center

Ray is the owner and was a pleasure to do business with.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Wow! Thanks for all the input! Okay, so given the good number of responses (and the distinct lack on a few) I can give a good rundown.

P3AT - This one is the front-runner right now. Cost is right and its a proven platform. I just need to find one for testing or rent.

Bersa .380cc - Jaystekan, you are the man! Thanks for those photos! You weren't kidding.. that's one heckuva difference. I do really like this gun a lot after giving it some further investigation. It looks as though it was dehorned and specifically designed for pocket carry. The price is even perfect. This is at the top of my options with the P3AT.

1911 Micro - I'm going to toss the idea of it considering I didn't even get any comments on the firearm. I really did not expect to be able to use a .45ACP for a pocket carry anyway. I just didn't want to limit my options.

XD Subcompact & Glock 27/36 - These guns, after consideration and the reccomendations, do look like they are too large for what I am looking for. However I can see their use with cargo pockets. I've heard of holsters designed to fit in those pockets so these choices aren't out - especially given their capacity and proven reliability.

M&P .40c, CZ 2075 and Walther PPS - These three are a little larger than I would like for pocket carry and would fall into the same area as the XD and Glocks. However their prices new place them out of my range. Used, I may be able to find them for what SIXTO suggested. I will not discount them at all, either. However their costs are an important consideration.

Kahrs - Wow!!! They look like good choices but a little large. Their costs make them prohibitive out-right though. Arrgh!

The Ruger LCP - Okay, last but without a doubt not the least. This gun looks perfect. It is exactly what I am looking for in almost every way. The slim design, manual safety, everything looks golden. However I'm going to have to default to Jaystaken on this one: Its an unproven platform. I know Ruger has a good reputation for their wheel guns but I will admit ignorance to the reliability of their semi-autos. Can anyone here speak to the reputation and customer service on the semi-auto end? I would really like to say this firearm has me sold but... man.

It would appear I am leaning towards the .380 side of this choice. Can anyone suggest what the Bersa and Kel-Tec eat best for carry ammo? When I test them out I'd like to shoot what I would be using for carry ammo. 'Hot' loads aren't a problem either.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Glock all the way. I have not tried the 27, but shoot the 26 yesterday for the first time. I was able to hold the group almost as small as my 19. It was the first time I picked up a Glock subcompact, but I will be adding new one in the next couple weeks.

Recommend you shoot each of the one's you are considering to know which one YOU like the best.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Bersa 380cc

My wife and I both can pocket carry the Bersa 380cc with no probs. And it is pretty darn accurate and a nice shooter.

If .380 is OK, I too would wait and check out the Ruger LCP. They're being shipped right now, and will come in under $300.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    I second the CZ RAMI in either 9mm or 40. Personal preference is 40 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    It would appear I am leaning towards the .380 side of this choice. Can anyone suggest what the Bersa and Kel-Tec eat best for carry ammo? When I test them out I'd like to shoot what I would be using for carry ammo. 'Hot' loads aren't a problem either.
    As far as ammo goes, I keep Cor-Bon powerballs in my bersas. Never had a problem, hiccup, cough, burp, fart or anything whatsoever with this ammo other than nice easy shooting. The only problem with the Bersa is it is prone to limpwristing. It will jam if you keep your wrist limp. This take a whole 3 or 4 rounds to get used to. Happened to me and the wife each on our first time shooting the Bersa. Never happened again. Just remember to keep your wrist tight and you will be fine. We have over 1500 rounds through the duo-tone bersa, and nearly 1000 through the cc. I didnt like shooting the keltec, it seemed too much like a chore to shoot, where the Bersa seemed like a privilidge to take to the range. Anyway, have fun with whatever you choose. I admit, I miss carrying my bersa cc, we had some good times together, but the wife likes it more and most of us know know how that is, I like my Kahr too though.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this forum and figured that my first post should be in a good thread like this!

(IMHO), I strongly suggest the Kel Tec PF-9. It's an extremely small, durable and pretty accurate 9mm. I prefer to carry it in my pocket and a G36 in IWB. The PF-9 is only slightly larger than the P3AT and is still very very light. I would also strongly recomend one of these pocket holsters: Pocket Holsters
    Also, the PF-9 can be had for approx $300 - Here's one in a gunbroker auction: GunBroker.com guns: Kel Tec PF9 9mm new in box (item: 93982812 ends: Mar-07-08 05:52:42 PM)

Look on the Kel Tec Website for all the specs!

Cheers!
    P.S. Glocks are great pistols, but too large (ie. G26, G27, or especially G36) for my pockets

Kahr P9 used 450.00 range. Small light and an east IWB. Too big for a pocket carry IMHO.

Take a look at this site..

It seems to have some good information.

Defining A True Pocket Pistol
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Bersa .380cc - Jaystekan, you are the man! Thanks for those photos! You weren't kidding.. that's one heckuva difference. I do really like this gun a lot after giving it some further investigation. It looks as though it was dehorned and specifically designed for pocket carry. The price is even perfect. This is at the top of my options with the P3AT.
    I was thinking of picking up a Bersa at Gander Mtn by me. They have it on sale for $249. Everything I've read about it is good. Also, they look sweet with aftermarket wood grips!

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    I was thinking of picking up a Bersa at Gander Mtn by me. They have it on sale for $249. Everything I've read about it is good. Also, they look sweet with aftermarket wood grips!

They do look good with some grips. I have a pair of wood grips on order. There is a guy who makes very nice grips for the bersa fro just about any wood you can think of.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links