Subcompact Carry Options

Subcompact Carry Options

This is a discussion on Subcompact Carry Options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a few searches through this forum and didn't quite get the answer I was looking for, but a good idea of my options. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Subcompact Carry Options

I did a few searches through this forum and didn't quite get the answer I was looking for, but a good idea of my options. However I wanted to hear what you all thought and get maybe some new ideas or have holes punched in what I want to do. I generally wear pants with deep (and numerous) pockets so I thought I might look at pocket carry.

Obviously one of the big suggestions is the P3AT. I'm already looking at those but I'd like options in case I don't like it. However I would like to go with .40S&W to keep commonality of carry ammo ...if the new one will even eat my current carry ammo effectively. If anyone knows one of these guns to reliably eat .40 Speer GD 165gr, pipe up!

Here is what I am looking for:
    1. Nothing smaller than a .380.
    2. Semi-auto. I'm just not a wheel-gun guy.
    3. I prefer manual safeties but I am (obviously) willing to look at other options.
    4. Under $450 (New or Used)

Here is what I am entertaining right now:
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    XD Subcompact .40 3"
    Glock 27 or 36

I was thinking about something like a used 1911 EMP or similar "Microcompact" but I wasn't sure if a 1911 of any size will fit into a pocket of even be available for the price. haha Anyhow, hit me with your thoughts, suggestions and shoot-downs.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Check out the Bersa .380 Semi-auto, DA/SA, decocker, fits a pocket pretty well.

I front pocket carry an AMT stainless DAO in .38 Super
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

Administrator
    I think your best bet is going to be the Glocks, thats a tough bill to fill under the 450 mark.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think your best bet is going to be the Glocks, thats a tough bill to fill under the 450 mark.
    Hmm... What should I be looking at spending then? I found a Subcompact XD 9mm today for $385 (used). I mean.. suggest a figure? I want to keep my options and expectations as realistic as possible. I'm not shy about purchasing something thats got a few thousand rounds in it if its a decent brand.

CorpsVet:
    Oh! Good suggestion! Thanks!!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I've got the XD9SC and the P3AT. I just don't see ANY XD going in a pocket. Let me rephrase that, it'll fit, but it'll drag your thigh pocket down and flop around in a very unnatural way. I don't think you could get it into a front pocket, of if you could, you'd never get it out in a hurry. It does go in the back pocket, but you need some kind of retainer to keep it from moving into un-drawable positions. It won't be well concealed there at all. Too thick (and uncomfortable to sit on), and the butt will likely be sticking out.

Oh, and the P3AT loaded seems to weight about as much as just a loaded XD mag. (percieved, I didn't actually weigh anything)
    Now the P3AT is a real pocket gun. I'm still looking for the best deep concealment option for me, but it was designed with drawing from pockets in mind. (including contours at the back and sights that won't catch on anything on the way out of the pocket.)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Hmm... What should I be looking at spending then? I found a Subcompact XD 9mm today for $385 (used). I mean.. suggest a figure? I want to keep my options and expectations as realistic as possible. I'm not shy about purchasing something thats got a few thousand rounds in it if its a decent brand.

CorpsVet:
    Oh! Good suggestion! Thanks!!
    The 500-550 mark opens a few more doors, but you could get it done in the 450 range if your willing to settle a little bit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    M&P 40c

Should run just fine with your other carry ammo, great little gun. With the small backstrap, it's quite compact.

I frequently pocket carry my 9c, and it's quite comfy.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Walther PPS-9mm.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I'm waiting on the new Ruger LCP. There's a definate difference between a compact and a pocket gun, IMO. Out of the ones you listed, I'd go with the P3AT.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I have an xd .40 sub, and a bersa .380cc. The size difference between them is pretty significant. I personally don't think the xd is a "pocket gun". It seems a little big for the pocket. I used to carry the bersa in my pocket every so often before my wife claimed the bersa for herself. I don't carry my xd sub yet, I am still in the testing phase and awaiting my crossbreed holster for it, but it definetly won't be for pocket carry, at least not for me. The bersa, however is definetly able to be pocket carried. I love the bersa. Good price, .380, sells new for around $350.00, manual safety/decocker, loaded indicator, fun to fire, it's definetly a solid little gun. I prefer it a lot more than a keltec, although it is a little larger. I like the look of the new ruger lcp, but I am not a big fan of buying "first edition" guns. I like guns to have at least a little bit of a good track record before I depend on it for protecting my life. Heres a little size comparison between the xd subcompact and the bersa .380.
    Attached Images
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

You might look at the Bersa 380 CC. A new one can be obtained for way under $300. It has several nice features not found on your typical pocket gun:

1) 8 +1 Rounds
    2) Safety / Decocker
    3) Loaded Chamber Indicator
    4) Slide Lock
    5) Easy field stipping
    6) DA/SA
    7) Looks great

Look at the Kahr cw40 or if your pocketbook can stand, a pm40.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

VIP Member
    Ruger is just now introducing the LCP which is a direct competitor to the P3AT, I would give it some strong consideration, if that's the size you prefer.

OTOH I think you mentioned a subcompact Glock. I typically carry a G27 and I've been very happy with it. A G26 would be fine, though I don't have one. With cargo pants, I can easily pocket carry a subcompact Glock.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I've got an XD 9sc. While it can easily work as a pocket carry in a winter weather type coat, in pants pocket...I don't think so. It conceals well, but should not be considered a pocket-carry option. The 9 & 40 are essentially the same size, BTW.

Check out the CZ 2075 Rami. Roughly the same size as a Glock 26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links