This is for the Ladies

This is a discussion on This is for the Ladies within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, guys you can answer for your wives too... Here is my problem. I have very small hands, so small that even holding the Glock27 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is for the Ladies

This is for the Ladies

Okay, guys you can answer for your wives too...

Here is my problem. I have very small hands, so small that even holding the Glock27 properly I am unable to get my finger onto the trigger safety to be able to shoot it. Now that is holding it properly. I can shoot it if it is not seated well in the web of my hand. Which brings up poor accuracy issues.

I need suggestions on the largest caliber but smallest grip pistol - hubby says Keltec is not an option...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

2. Remove Ads

My gal loves the S&W 642CT .38 special +P.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Thanks AZ Husker! That is a nice looking revolver.

I should have mentioned I'd prefer a semi-auto pistol...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

My wife has smaller hands, and likes her Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9MM. The PT145 is about the same size. She chose the 9 for the lower recoil. Its got a smallish grip on it.

Personally, I also like the Kahrs as well, such as a PM9

OK, no revolvers (none for me either). Have you tried something like a Kimber Compact? Eight rounds of .45 in a pretty small package. Don't fall for the Ultra gimmick, the barrel is not the difficult part to conceal. A 4" 1911 with thin grips is hard to beat.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I think in general you need to think single stack. Like mentioned before 1911 with slim grips, a Kahr P or PM-9, Walther PPK are a few that come to mind. I know Smith makes a few single stacks but I personally have no experience with them. You probably knew this was coming but your best bet is to go to the range a rent a few and see what fits and works best for you.

Kahr cw9 under $400.00 and 7+1 rounds
    SASS LIFE
    LEAA
    BOLD#252
    NRA LIFE
    RO I & II

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I was in my local gun shop today and happened to see a S&W Lady Smith. (Model 3913LS). My wife has a Sig 232 in .380 and I've wished she would have picked something in a 9mm. This Lady Smith looked like a great little pistol and it is a 9mm. It is small and might fit your hand well. You have to see one for real to realize the size. A picture won't do. Only drawback is that they are expensive. Hope this helps.

Administrator
    Folks with smallish hands seem to love the Kimber Aegis line. The Pro Aegis II might be a real nice handgun for you.

Press Releases
    Kimber Expands Premium 9mm 1911 Models

Yonkers, New York, January 10, 2007 - Kimber® has announced the new Aegis family of premium 1911 pistols chambered in 9mm. The Aegis II™ was the first ultra-compact 9mm pistol in company history. Introduced in May 2006 as a limited edition, demand was so great that it has become a family of three pistols. This year, the Aegis is renamed the Ultra Aegis II™. It has a 3-inch barrel, compact frame and comes with an 8-round magazine. The Pro Aegis II™ has a 4-inch barrel, full size frame and 9-round magazine. The Custom Aegis II™ incorporates a 5-inch barrel, full size frame and 9-round magazine.

Aegis pistols have a striking appearance. The matte black slide contrasts with the satin silver frame, and both are complimented by slim rosewood ball-milled grips that improve fit to smaller hands. The flat top slide has the premium KimPro II™ finish, wide cocking serrations and Tactical Wedge Tritium night sights. The aluminum frame is finished in satin silver KimPro II, has 30 LPI checkering on the front strap, a high relief cut under the trigger guard, bumped and grooved beavertail grip safety, a solid target trigger and matching silver small parts. As with all Kimber pistols, the trigger, chamber and barrel are match grade.

One of the most important Aegis features is the carry melt treatment on both frame and slide that rounds corners and edges. The hammer, thumb safety and magazine release button are bobbed, further reducing the profile and ensuring the pistol will not snag on clothing or holsters.

Proudly made in America and available at over 2,000 Kimber Master Dealers across the country, each Aegis carries a suggested retail price of $1,195.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

my wife like her COLT defender with a shot trigger and a tactical thumb safety. it is a single stack .45ACP 7+1. my wife is 5'3 and 115 LBS.

I second the Aegis II. I own one and it is a nice gun. it is pricy, but it is small and convenient. it is also a sweet gun.

TDPalmer

If you want to stick with the .40 (the 27 is a .40 right?), the Taurus PT140 MilPro has a smaller grip.

The Walther PPS (not sure if it is out in .40) but you may want to wait on it as there have been some reported problem with the 1st Gen PPS.

The M&P and Walther P99 are both availabe in compact form (and various calibers) and have interchangable backstraps.

The HK P30 (while a 9mm) has interchangable backstraps AND grip pannels which give a little more in the way of size change then backstraps alone.

Other's have been mentioned already (Kahr, other Taurus models, 1911 variants etc.....)

Best thing you can do is hit a shop or 4 and check out as many different guns as you can and see what fit's Your hand best.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Member Array carry for protection's Avatar
    I just brought home a Walther 9mm. I love it. It also comes with a second, slimmer backstrap for super small hands. And the trigger is great!

VIP Member
    The Springfield EMP is another very small 1911 style pistol that looks like it would fit small hands quite well. A Sig P239 with the Short Trigger option might work as well, and is available in .40S&W. Do a little looking, and I'm sure you'll find a number of options that will work for you - plus it's always fun to shoot new guns!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

My ex wifes hands are small, I let her try my Sig P239.
    It no longer belongs to me.
    It can be had in 9 mm or .40/357 sig.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links