anyone carry ASTRA -75 ???

This is a discussion on anyone carry ASTRA -75 ??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up an ASTRA -75 in .40S&W w/a 7 rd mag . it seems like a sturdy little gun ?????? It's all steel ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hkusp9f

Thread: anyone carry ASTRA -75 ???

I just picked up an ASTRA -75 in .40S&W w/a 7 rd mag . it seems like a sturdy little gun ?????? It's all steel (which I like) and is slimline if I wanted to carry it . I mainly got it for knocking around in the garage or house . It was this or a KELTEC PF9 which I wasn't too pleased with . I don't think my big hands would've been able to shoot it properly ???? ANY comments or suggestion from anyone who has or has have had one of these ASTRA-70 or 75 would be appreciated

I don't have an A-75 but I have an Astra A-100 in 9mm that was my first pistol purchased about 10 years ago. It's a copy of the Sig P226.
    Solid feeling gun - never had any FTF/FTE's with it, accuracy is OK - not great but acceptable at handgun distances, I've put probably 8,000 rounds minimum through it and had 2 parts break - the decocking lever and the arm extensions that are part of the feed ramp in the receiver. I've never carried it and rarely shoot it anymore - I have 2 other 9mm's that are more accurate (beretta 92 and a S&W M&P 9c).
    It's a good gun, and for $300 (used) buy price (with 2 17rd mags) it's served me well, but not my first pick anymore.

VIP Member
    I have one, it was my first carry gun. I have pretty much religated it to my nightstand gun. Mags are getting harder to find for them, I prefer the ones with the finger rest. Too bad Astra'a are no longer made. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it again if the need arose.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    One of my best friends carries an Astra 70 IWB. It's a great little gun. I have never seen it malfunction once. They are a little heavy, and it's difficult to get accessories, but I wouldn't have a problem owning one.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Astra A-75 40 s&w

I have had a Astra A-75 for over 6 year and it has been my primary carry gun since I bought it.
    I is comfortable to carry all day, I have a Inside Waist Band holsters the clips to my belt.
    It is also very Accurate when I have fired it at 15 to 20 feet.
    My preferred ammo is 180 gr hollow points.

Love my a,75 ,, normal carry gun ,, I also like a,100 45 double stack ,, got many years ago :)

Years ago I had the A-80 in .45auto. Was an ok pistol don't recall any issues with it other than a spring broke. Thing I didn't like about it was the European style mag release. I still have a magazine laying around here somewhere for it! :D

img_9240.jpgAstra A-75 003.jpgThe Republic Arms RAP 401 and 440 are close copies of the A-75 made in South Africa.....they don't show up on the auction sites very often anymore...but they were well made also.
    Last edited by hkusp9f; February 10th, 2015 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added photos
    sonnycrocket likes this.

I don't have the 75 but I have owned 4 or 5 Astras. They were from the 1920s up to the 1980s. one of my sons still has a Astra Cub in 380. They have all been sturdy well made guns. DR

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hkusp9f View Post
    img_9240.jpgAstra A-75 003.jpgThe Republic Arms RAP 401 and 440 are close copies of the A-75 made in South Africa.....they don't show up on the auction sites very often anymore...but they were well made also.
    HA,I sold my RAPP440 just recently
    The Astra and the RAPP are tanks,def heavy duty...You can pick up quite a few gems
    out there if you dig deep ,prices are right !

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    ANY comments or suggestion from anyone who has or has have had one of these ASTRA-70 or 75 would be appreciated
    Congrats! Nice pistol.
    My brother has an A 75, in 9mm. He is thinking about buying the 40 barrel and (I think) the extractor?? His mags are marked 9mm/40 S&W, so, I guess that they work for both rounds.
    We measured it up against my friends Sig P239, almost identical! If you need a holster, look for all things Sig P239.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    It's a copy of the Sig P226.
    Aren't the P226's all double stack? The A 75 is more like the P239, being that they are both single stack...no?
    Actually, see the post above. It is, for all intents and purposes, identical to the P239.

Edit:
    Never mind, I see that you were talking about the A100
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

The Astra A-75 is an awesome carry gun. I had one but my buddy has it now. The trigger is amazing with the very short reset. You can get magazines on Ebay for about $11 shipped.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I have an Astra A-70 in 9mm. Great gun. Works fine. I know someone that has a LLAMA mini-max in .45. Not sure how the LLAMAs compare to Astra, but it looks like a good gun as well. I'm told these old Spanish guns were built like tanks and can take a beating.
    Work for a cause, Not for applause. Live life to express, Not to impress. Don't strive to make your presence noticed, Just make your absence felt"

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links