Have an itch for a new gun.

This is a discussion on Have an itch for a new gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need suggestions on next gun. I do Carry, so I would like it to be smalll enough to carry. Also, I don't prefer 1911s. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I need suggestions on next gun. I do Carry, so I would like it to be smalll enough to carry. Also, I don't prefer 1911s. I have a .380 keltec and a Kahr PM9. Not sure what to get next. I am intruiged by the glocks due to their reliability but not sure which one or if I should go in another direction. I also like PPKs or a seecamp/guardian .32,and that lineup but agian with my keltec, would it be practical based on what I already have. I was thinking a lrger carry caliber like a G30s or G36 or a millenium pro or XD but it has to be small enough to carry . Any idead?

By the way how is the 30sf diff form a G36?

By the way how is the 30sf diff form a G36?
    The G30 or G30sf is a double stack magazine pistol. The G36 is single stack. Even with the grip reduction on the SF, I'm sure is would still be wider than the G36 because of this. Having had a G30 in the past, and checking out the G36, I'd be willing to go with the single stack 6+1 round capacity in the G36. I am unsure how the SF model fits in, but from what I hear, it's a slight improvement upon the original G30 mainly in grip size.

Are glocks considered the most reliable? I guess I am really leaning towards a .45acp that I can carry. The smallest out there is the Kahr PM45 and I might jump on that but I already have a PM9, and a little diversity would be nice. The glocks ONLY have me interested becuase of the reliability, other than that, I dont really like the looks and they are too chunky. Is there anyhting else that compares to the reliability of Glocks??

The itch for a new gun is constant with me. Right now, I'm wanting a Colt 1911 XSE.

Since you said you're wanting a bigger caliber, I'd suggest looking at a XD-SC, M&P-SC, or Glock(although I personally don't care for them). I love my XD-SC. Mine is chambered for .40 S&W and is an excellent shooter and small enough to easily conceal. Check it out for sure.

I know Glocks are known for their reliability and all but every gun I own has been 100% reliable. I've got Berettas, XDs, Rugers, S&Ws, and Steyrs. I've had 0 problems with any of them other than my Mark III and Neos but that's only because I use the cheapo bulk box ammo. My other Ruger and other Berettas have been flawless. All of my centerfire guns from the above manufacturers have been reliable from day 1 without even a hiccup. I guess I might just be fortunate(knock on wood).
    "I play for keeps."

Is there anything else that compares to the reliability of Glocks??
    Well, my opinion would be subjective to say the least. The G36 is no way "chunky", but the 30 could be IMO. In your quest for carry in the 45 auto-I guess it comes down to how you'll carry. You're obviously looking for something in a very small package. Personally, I had to have another 45acp pistol after I sold my G21 and traded the G30 (because neither fit me very well despite them being very controllable and reliable)--I actually went to a full size SIG P220. I've carried OWB, but my M-Tac holster will be arriving this week! As far as true pocket pistols in the 45acp, only thing that comes to mind for me would be the AMT Backup pistols from the 90's, and I'm not sure they still make those, and I know even less about their reliability. "Diversity" doesn't really make a point, if you already have a Kahr in 9mm, and their's is the smallest pistol in 45, then you'll need to tune in more on the real issue---are the Kahr's reliable? To your expectations? How small does the pistol need to be in order for you to carry comfortably concealed? Do you shoot the Kahr 9mm well? And just for the record----"looks" aint everything. Good luck in it all, you'll get what's right for you no doubt.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    If you're thinking 1911, I'd go with a Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm. If you're thinking Glock, go with a G20 or G29!

I've got a NAA PUG .22mag, a Seecamp LWS .380 (on order), a Kahr PM9 and Glock G20. I figure that's a good mix of calibers. My next purchase (long away) will probably be a CBOB or some other 1911. I may also sell the PUG soon and pick-up a Ruger LCP .380 to tide me over until the Seecamp is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I've got a Seecamp LWS .380 (on order)
    Wasabi and I are probably lone voices in the wilderness here, but +1 on the Seecamp.

I'm waiting for my .380 too (that Rat- Wasabi is ahead of me on the list) but carry a LWS .32 as a pocket gun when I can't/don't want to carry a larger gun.

Lots of choices out there, and it would never be my first choice as my primary carry, but if you want something that will put a smile on your face every time you pick it up, think about a Seecamp.

As an aside, if you order from Seecamp, you can request a custom serial number. When my .380 is made, it'll bear the serial number "SEMPERF1". How cool is that?!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 5th, 2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

If you are looking for something a little bigger in caliber - checkout the Kel-Tec PF9. The PF9 is probably the most concealable 9mm out there in the price range. www.thegunsource.com has them for around $250. I also like the new Ruger SR9 for more capacity 17+1 in a thin frame. In my opinion Glocks can never be beat for reliability. They are a little harder to conceal over the guns I mentioned - but a bet your life gun everytime. For carry I like any of the subcompacts - I personally carry a Glock 27. I have been eyeing the new G30sf - I like the idea of 10 +1 in a .45 - but it's thickness may be too much.

You might want to look at the Walther PPS, as it seems to be in line with your tastes. I also agree with previous comments about looking at the LCP and the SR9.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Buy a Glock 19. Then sell your other stuff because you have found perfection.

Senior Moderator
    You mentioned the Taurus PT-111 which is a good choice, you might want to look at a Bersa Ultra Compact Thunderer Model
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I carry the PT140 Millennium Pro 3rd Gen. It conceals & shoots perfect for me. I realize that the Taurus is not the nicest or most expensive gun out there, but in my selected price range it works perfectly.
    -Matt

I have the G-36...
    So easy to conceal...the only grip in the Glock line that is as thin as my Kimber Ultra...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    CZ RAMI, CZ P-01 or CZ P-06. All fine guns and easily concealed.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I am going to get a Walther PPS. I think it fits your criteria very well.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links