Help a Coastie out...decisions decisions

This is a discussion on Help a Coastie out...decisions decisions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning on getting either a Sig 239 SAS DAK or the new Walther PPS when I return home from deployment. It is going ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help a Coastie out...decisions decisions

I am planning on getting either a Sig 239 SAS DAK or the new Walther PPS when I return home from deployment. It is going to be my CCW. They will both be in 40 S&W by the time i get home but I dont think I need a 40, 9 should do just fine. It wont be used as home defense, I have Mossberg 590 for that, but it will be shot at the range from time to time and like I said before as a CCW. I kinda want both but can see myself having 2...not yet anyway. I'm a decent sized guy (5'8" 180) so either gun will be fine for concealing. I have never shot a walther in my life. We do however carry Sigs. In DAK. I'm more familiar with a Sig and also used to the mag release on those. I believe that sig has a trace grips but walther does not...yet? Which one would u choose and why? Thanks in advance.

I'm sure you will get a multitude of opinions on this, but if it were me and I was already used to the Sig (and liked it) I'd go with the Sig first and then down the line the Walther (or what ever caught my eye at the time)
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    I'm sure you will get a multitude of opinions on this, but if it were me and I was already used to the Sig (and liked it) I'd go with the Sig first and then down the line the Walther (or what ever caught my eye at the time)
    Ditto
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Lead Moderator
    I'll admit to being bias, but go with the SIG. I have a 239 in 9mm and the thing is a dream to shoot.

When you get back see if you can find a range where you can rent and try them both out. That way you get what YOU like best!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Sig is the better gun, but I would not worry about those goofy laser grips. Save your money and buy ammo and become skilled instead.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sig unless weight and size is critical

If I could conceal the Sig P239 easily, I would tend to get that gun, as it is a known quantity with a good reputation. The P239 in 9mm weighs about 27.5 ounces with a 3.6 inch barrel. Capacity is 8+1

The Walther PPS is newer and just on the market. It is smaller and thinner than the Sig, weighing about 21.3 ounces empty with a 3.2 inch barrel. Capacity is from 6+1 to 8+1, depending on which magazine is chosen. It would conceal more easily, although there are not a lot of holsters available yet.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I previously had a similar thread running (pps vs p239) and have given it much thought. I haven't bought either yet, but I'm leaning toward the Sig, in fact I was pricing one yesterday. One of the things that "tipped the scales" for me to the Sig, is the magazine release. I believe, under pressure, there would be a chance that I wouldn't operate the Walther mag release properly since it is not "natural" to me........the Sig is.

I really like the thin PPS, and may also get it one day, but for now I'll buy the 239 first.

Good luck, both are great guns, but for CCW I think the Sig edges the Walther a little, at least for me.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Im starting to think the same thing

VIP Member
    Well, I just bought a Sig P239 SAS (though I won't actually be able to use it for 7 more weeks!), so that should tell you were I stand.

If you're familiar with the Sig, the DAK, and so on, I see no compelling reason to go to the PPS (other than the fact that it's a cool little gun!).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well I just spoke with the wife, she says I can get both but I have to get rid of my other handgun. Its my first one though...Its a Taurus PT-92 Compact...
    what to do what to do

Chalk a vote up for the sig, and I'm not even a sig fan.

I was initially attracted to the PPS. And then I decided since I spend time indoors, where you can't easily find rocks to throw, a 6-round magazine wasn't going to do it.

Maybe everyone isn't as grand thinking as me, but I'd like to think I could take out more than one or two baddies- which honestly in the heat of the moment with a 6 round magazine is probably unlikely.

My dad sold me on this theory, 20 some odd years as LEO and I was asking what he thought about in 9mm vs .40- he said absolutely over the years and through the training he would always take the weapon that offered him higher capacity. Granted I don't plan on getting in large shootouts where I need to be able to carry 60 rounds between my pistol and a couple mags... but then again don't we carry because we realize we can't always plan things out?

That is true. Granted we train in the Coast Guard in the US with .40, and out here we use 9mm. I feel comfortable with both. I do also like the capacity of that one extra bullet...that could make the difference

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    That is true. Granted we train in the Coast Guard in the US with .40, and out here we use 9mm. I feel comfortable with both. I do also like the capacity of that one extra bullet...that could make the difference
    I did not realize the sig was only one more bullet. (Like I said not a sig fan so never really looked into their models). In that case I might turn my favor to the PPS, but if you are familiar with the sig I guess what it comes down to is something new and exciting, or low-risk something you can be almost positive you will like.

VIP Member
    There are factory 10 round mags available for the P239, though they aren't exactly cheap (Show Product Details). Eight + 1 in the gun plus 10 more in a spare is a fair amount of ammo for such a small, thin gun. Two spares, and you've got 29 rounds available, which should solve most social problems a CCWer will encounter.

Sigs have never been at the forefront of the capacity battle, but they're respectable.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Sig vs. Walther...........kinda like Ferrari vs. Corvette. Hmmmm?
    Well, since they're both (at least partly) German, it's more like BMW vs. Mercedes...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links