The Slab Sides deal? - Page 3

The Slab Sides deal?

This is a discussion on The Slab Sides deal? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1911 "Don't Bust, Don't Rust, Don't Collect Dust". OK a revolver has better stone cold reliability. But, not by much!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Slab Sides deal?

Old Mil Joke

1911 "Don't Bust, Don't Rust, Don't Collect Dust".

OK a revolver has better stone cold reliability. But, not by much!

I may be alittle late in this discussion but I really like my GI. I made a few changes (Took out the ILS lock and made new grips) but its is still a 1911. I love this gun. It has alot to do with nostalgia. But, I actually shoot really well with this thing. Just as well as I do with my CZ 75B. I couldn't ask for a better gun for carry. I also like the weight. I like know that there is something there. Mostly though, its nostalgia. My grandfather was in WWII. I wanted something that was similar to what he carried. I got the GI and decided it wouldn't be bad for carry. So I carry it.

clipse

For me, it's "shootability."

When I was learning to shoot handguns (my father & older brother were extremely skilled smallbore riflemen, and avid small game hunters, but relegated a handgun to "something to keep in the nightstand, just in case . . ."), a couple of like-minded teenagers and I would venture to the old town garbage dump. It was a few miles out of town, bordered by a large swampy/forested (e.g., uninhabited) tract.

A fan of the late writer Skeeter Skelton, we tried our hand (as kids are wont to do) at aerial shooting. Take the handgun in a firing grip, toss bottle aloft & forward, raise handgun and let fly! We got pretty good at it, & I found I could reliably smash bottles with my Ruger Single-Six and with my buddies' assorted semiautos and DA wheelguns.

Naturally, we "upped the ante." The new contest involved holstering the sidearm, using the strong hand to hurl the bottle, then draw and fire. The ONLY handgun that facilitated consistent hits in my hand was the WWI-vintage 1911 I picked up dirt-cheap from an acquaintance (it had been refinished, the original slide matkings buffed & disfigured).

To this day, I shoot faster & more accurately from the holster with a 1911-style than with anything else! It just "fits" !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links