Need a favor for a member deployed

This is a discussion on Need a favor for a member deployed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can a parent, grandparent or relative pass down a handgun in NC without the need for the recipient to give them a pistol perchase permit? ...

Thread: Need a favor for a member deployed

Can a parent, grandparent or relative pass down a handgun in NC without the need for the recipient to give them a pistol perchase permit? Can my mother give me her gun, and i take it to the sheriffs and have it registered as my CCW? I would call the local police station, but im 8000 miles away. Thanks, VERY MUCH in advance.

No. In NC in order to recieve a handgun, you must have a purchase permit or a ccw. If you have a purchase permit, then the person giving you the handgun keeps your purchase permit and you get the gun. If you have a ccw, then no purchase permit needed, but the person giving you the gun must get a copy of your ccw and you have to sign something saying that you now have posession of the gun. I live in Cumberland County, as far as I know there is no "gun registration" at the sheriffs office, NC permits don't have the gun listed and there is no registering a carry gun. Some states limit the guns you can carry on your permit and you need to register them, not so in north carolina.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Thats where my parents live in Cuberland county. Thanks

State law says that for an Inheritance you need a pistol permit. It also states for private sales you need a permit. IF I am reading it correctly. You can always call the Dept. of Justice and speak to the Law Enforcement Liaison at (919) 716-6725
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Well I spoke with my mother. She used to be a Cumberland County Probation and parole, and Judges secretary so she knows ALOT of local cops. Someone told her that she could give me the gun as a legitamate gift. She is going to triple check but she says she can

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Well I spoke with my mother. She used to be a Cumberland County Probation and parole, and Judges secretary so she knows ALOT of local cops. Someone told her that she could give me the gun as a legitamate gift. She is going to triple check but she says she can
    She can give you the gun as a legit gift. However, you must still go through the background check at the sheriffs office and get a purchase permit. You give her YOUR purchase permit, and then she can legally give you the gun. Legally in order to own that gun, you must have either a purchase permit or a ccw. Speaking to cops is generally helpful, however, be warned, a lot of cops aren't up to date on gun laws. Asking a cop is fine, but if and when something happens, saying you asked a cop and he said it was alright isn't gonna fly. In NC the Sheriff handles gun permits, and even the deputies aren't up to standard on knowing how the gun laws work. Remember, deputies and cops don't follow the same gun laws we follow as civilians, so, they don't need to know the ins and outs of gun purchases, possessions, etc... I know here in cumberland, there are a few deputies that speicialize in gun laws so that the other deputies don't have to. Your moms best bet is to go to the sheriffs gun permit office and ask an expert there. Or, get a purchase permit and be safe about the transaction.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Whew! Sure makes me glad I live in Kentucky. Good Luck with asking the NC state government if it's okay to accept a gift from your mom!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Whew! Sure makes me glad I live in Kentucky. Good Luck with asking the NC state government if it's okay to accept a gift from your mom!
    Yea no ****

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    It really isn't as bad as all that. Yes, the state wants their money and has found yet another way to do it, but the process isn't all that complicated.

Yes, to do it legally, one would have to provide a buyers permit or a copy of a CHL to the seller/giver, and possibly a "Bill of Sale" showing that it was in fact a gift.

As for registering the firearm, unless your insurance agency requires it (if you have an insured collection), it isn't necessary to register a firearm in the state, nor do you have to list it on your carry permit.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Well here is where I get confused: Lets say my grandpa passed (he already did so im not thinking morbidly) and he gives me, lets say his colt 1911...now I have inherited a handgun from him. How am I going to give my dead grandfather the pistol perchase permit?

Also another question. My mother purchases a gun and gives it to me as a gift. The gun was purchase in my mothers name, but I have a right to use it since I can legally own a firearm in NC. I use the firearm in self-defense of my home, still in NC, but in a different county. The cops come and say, why is this gun in your mothers name, I say because it is her gun and she said I could use it. How can I get in trouble.

Last. I buy a handgun say from you. I give you a permit, and years later you lose it. Because you lost the permit has this gun now become illegal for me to own since you were the original purchaser?

I found my answer : Gun Ownership FAQ

Sponsored Links