Glock Questions

This is a discussion on Glock Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jwalker497 My question is around the stigma of Glocks. Are they really that much more reliable than other Semi's?? I didn't read ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock Questions

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    My question is around the stigma of Glocks. Are they really that much more reliable than other Semi's??
    I didn't read the other responses but here is my fourteen cents.

Take care of your gun and it will take care of you. If you don't take care of it, how can you trust it to take care of you?

My dad has a service issued Glock 22, he does a full field strip and oil, and replaces the springs after every day at the range, 5 shots or 300. Overkill? Maybe. But his gun sure seems to have taken care of him for the past 20 some odd years.

2. Remove Ads

Prvt. Toter, great post.

I personally prefer my "blocks" in their stock configuration (other than the sights). My 19 has gone 10k+ rounds (and only being cleaned every 500 rounds or so) with no malfunctions that were not caused by bad ammo.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Ask QKshooter (member here) about Glock reliability. He has a 17 with like 80k rounds through it with almost no problems. A lot of handguns would be shot out with 1/4th of that round count.

I tried to avoid Glocks for a long time looking for the imo perfect CCW handgun. It was ultimately impossible.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Glock’s remind me of the old time 6-shooter.

Very very reliable, simple in operation and function. They will fire just about any brand of ammo you want. And they will 100 percent of the time, get the job done.

If you’re looking for something that is shinny to show your friends, buy yourself a Wilson. But if you’re looking for a reliable self defense weapon, you can not go wrong with a Glock.

Interesting tidbits, that I remember reading press releases of, but I do NOT guarantee.

• More federal agency and police departments issue Glock’s than all other brands combined.

• The only reason Berretta won out the contract for the US military 9 mm pistol is Glock refused to build them in the country.

• Since the beginning of the Iraq war Glock as sold over 3000 pistols to Special Forces units. (I saw that number is a press release a couple years ago and that number may have increased by now.)

I own poppa, momma, and baby Glock… G17, G19, G26 and I’ve never had one jam in thousands of rounds fired.

I detest the whole concept of double action only triggers so the Glock's not for me.

I think they are extremely reliable. I've owned 2, and never had any problems with either. I do not own them longer, and will never buy another, because they just don't fit my hand right. I've shot with most of them, and still haven't found one that comes close to feeling right.

They are great guns though, mechanically speaking. Find one that fits you, and I think you'll be very happy. Of course, that is my advice with any firearm. There is not a "one size fits all" out there.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Glocks are excellent carry guns. My edc is a glock 19. I have other reliable guns but the 19 conceals better, lighter to carry, and accurate.
    if you want a pocket gun I think you would be better served with a S&W 642

if you are going to wear it on your belt I would recommend a g19 in an iwb holster.

By the way I might be in the minority but I don't think Glocks are ugly.

Anyone remember the intro series for the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey? Where the apes see the monolith? Just thinking about replacing the monolith in those scenes with a huge G17. The world will never be the same. Our times can be measured in BG and AG. (before Glock and after Glock) The world was simply lacking in the BG era. We now live in modern times!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I detest the whole concept of double action only triggers so the Glock's not for me.
    Do you mean the hammerless design or you just hate a long trigger pull?

If the latter, not really applicable to the Glock; the trigger pull is not at all similar to a revolver. Especially if you put a 3.5lb connector in them. My 19 and 23 don't have as good of a trigger pull as a 1911 (closeish), but then again they carry more than 8 rounds and never ever jam.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I mountain bike, hike and cross country ski. All take me out in the tullies and I fear no man or animal.

Thanks to all. I decided to go with a G36. Order is in. I'll post pics when I get it. I could have gone with something smaller or something that looks nicer but in this day and age, you just cant argue with good ole common sense and practicality.

It was a touch call between the G30, but I figured 6 rounds is enough for me and the smaller size would be more comfortable to carry.

jwalker,

no to rain on your parade but did you consider the G37, 38, or 39 in .45GAP? I've owned a G30 and ultimately found it too large. I've rented the 21 and 36. The 21 is still too large and the 36 always seemed to hurt the web of my hand. When I decided to add .45 to my arsenal I got a chance to try the 38 and it was love at first shot!

I could have gone with something smaller or something that looks nicer but in this day and age, you just cant argue with good ole common sense and practicality.
    What more can one say?

Thanks!! I have a feeling I will not be disappointed. Thanks for all the help!

Most reliable gun I've shot so far..but I'm comparing a Bersa 380, Sig 229 and S-W 4013.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links