Glock Questions

This is a discussion on Glock Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; jwalker welcome to the glock cult...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock Questions

jwalker welcome to the glock cult
    Jack dog

2. Remove Ads

I don't have the words to describe how much I hate Glocks & people who think that Glocks are the best thing since sliced bread. They are ugly, they have an "unnatural" grip angle (at least for me), and I pretty much don't want to be associated with all the Kool-Aid drinkers.

Having said that (and I am mostly serious in the above sentiments), my next purchase will be a Glock 19. In fact, I'm thinking about getting two. Despite my feelings about them, everything I've read, and the opinions of people I know who have them, tells me that they are the most likely gun to go bang every time you pull the trigger straight out of the box. And isn't that really the only thing that is truly important when it comes time to actually pull that trigger?
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I don't have the words to describe how much I hate Glocks & people who think that Glocks are the best thing since sliced bread. They are ugly, they have an "unnatural" grip angle (at least for me), and I pretty much don't want to be associated with all the Kool-Aid drinkers.

Having said that (and I am mostly serious in the above sentiments), my next purchase will be a Glock 19. In fact, I'm thinking about getting two. Despite my feelings about them, everything I've read, and the opinions of people I know who have them, tells me that they are the most likely gun to go bang every time you pull the trigger straight out of the box. And isn't that really the only thing that is truly important when it comes time to actually pull that trigger?
    There are a lot of reasons why they are so popular and it really doesn't have much to do with the Kool-Aid drinkers. I like and have owned 1911s but it doesn't have anything to do with the JMB worshippers either. Judge them on their own merits and the G19 is a good place to start.

I think if i was drinking the kool-aid I would have bought a 1911. Nothing against 1911's, I like them a lot, it's just that they seem to be the most popular handgun in the world by far.

Like glocks or not you cannot overlook or discount the fact that they work!! And for some people that is the most important factor of all.

Congrats jwalker497, I think you'll like your choice.

Not to sidetrack here, but i guess I dont get the whole "Glocks are ugly" thing

Are they as pretty as a 1911 or other nice Pistol? maybe not, but, and I hate to say this, one of the things that sold me on my first gun, a G19, was how cool it looked with the Glock factory light attached on the front end. Even without it, it has a decent look to it. Not necessarily spectacular, just decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint77 View Post
    Not to sidetrack here, but i guess I dont get the whole "Glocks are ugly" thing
    Take a look down the top of the slide. It's just a long, black rectangle. It's hideous. However, I'm not about to bash a block for any other reason. They're extremely reliable, virtually indestructable and deadly accurate. The 19 is the one to have IMO. I don't regret buying it for a second, but I could never carry it. I'd have to look at it every day . They seem to have a lot of ADs while re-holstering compared to other guns but that's largely due to the operator either having his finger on the trigger or some obstruction in the holster and then the confused owner trying to force the issue. That could hardly be called the guns fault. No, they are what they are and that's a reasonably priced, reliable, accurate, ugly gun.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I was quite skeptical when I purchased my Glock 22 this past weekend, as I had never fired one - but had fired an XD40 and didn't really think anything special of it. I was quite pleasantly surprised at how well the Glock fit my hand when firing. I would have never guessed such a large handle would work so well, but it did, and was very comfortable. I'll be carrying it once I get a good holster.

As to my trip to the range, it went through almost 300rnds with 2 people firing it, without incident. It's the first autoloader pistol I've ever fired that had zero issues whatsoever with grip/ammo/etc (whatever you want to blame ftf/stovepiping/fte's on) when first shooting it.

Granted it's my limited experience, but it was a first time Glock experience. My 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    Take a look down the top of the slide. It's just a long, black rectangle. It's hideous. However, I'm not about to bash a block for any other reason. They're extremely reliable, virtually indestructable and deadly accurate. The 19 is the one to have IMO. I don't regret buying it for a second, but I could never carry it. I'd have to look at it every day . They seem to have a lot of ADs while re-holstering compared to other guns but that's largely due to the operator either having his finger on the trigger or some obstruction in the holster and then the confused owner trying to force the issue. That could hardly be called the guns fault. No, they are what they are and that's a reasonably priced, reliable, accurate, ugly gun.
    Well, it is the '57 Chevy" of pistols, I will grant that, The XD has the same blocky appearance for the most part, its just a little more "sculpted" along the sides of the slide.

To each their own, of course. I'm glad folks concede to the reliability part of it. I love mine, and will probably grab another G19 eventually.

Some people truely despise the glock...I'm not one of them. As I said, I own one. I just see it for what it is. The Toyota Camry of pistols.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

You did good on purchasing the G36. One nice trait for bottom feeders is just how fast it is to drop/feed in another magazine. I'm pretty fast with my revolver's moon clips, but I'm faster with auto magazines. The G36 is a very concealable weapon...carries the venerable .45 ACP...and is far more reliable than any out of the box 1911 clunker. Look...I like the vintage 1911 too...but let's face it: It's a damn shame that we have pay over $1000 on an out of the box auto...or at least that much in after-market products, on a cheaper clone, to get it to be reliable.

Well Dawgfvr, I'll disagree with you on the out of the box 1911 clunker. Not all of them are. I took my stainless Kimber Compact II out yesterday and ran it against my Lt.'s Glock 36. I ran 300 rounds and it ran like a Cadillac with zero failures or incidents. It is box stock. He is a die-hard Glock fan but now he wants a Kimber.

BTW, mine was only $860.00 OTD. I love my Glocks but the 1911 is very special.

There are some beautiful 1911's out there. But just because you spend major $$$ on a 1911 does not make it reliable. There are so many manufacturers of 1911s of various calibers & sizes. I own a 1911 and would love to have a couple more for my collection - but mainly for the looks and not the reliability. I buy Glocks for the reliability. One can't argue the fact that so many law enforcement agencies have adopted the Glock as their department firearm. These agencies usually do extensive evluations. Yes, there are a few here and there that have adopted other manufacturers - but which one tops the list?

My Colt 1911 is worn but pretty, my CZ is an attractive and accurate pistol, my little Kimber Ultra Carry II has been 100% and like most stainless pistols is nice to look at too. My G19 well it’s…………………a Glock.

What’s pretty about a Glock is if the SHTF it doesn’t matter if you’ve cleaned them, or lubed them, doesn’t matter how they’ve been abused or used, they will work period.

I’ve yet to find a ammunition my 19 won’t consume and I’ve yet to have it screw up. And that un-naturally angled grip that I used to think wouldn’t work for me…well I was wrong about that too.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Quote Originally Posted by NE45 View Post
    My Colt 1911 is worn but pretty, my CZ is an attractive and accurate pistol, my little Kimber Ultra Carry II has been 100% and like most stainless pistols is nice to look at too. My G19 well it’s…………………a Glock.

What’s pretty about a Glock is if the SHTF it doesn’t matter if you’ve cleaned them, or lubed them, doesn’t matter how they’ve been abused or used, they will work period.

I’ve yet to find a ammunition my 19 won’t consume and I’ve yet to have it screw up. And that un-naturally angled grip that I used to think wouldn’t work for me…well I was wrong about that too.
    That's what a Glock will do. I purchased all kinds of lower cost type ammo, including reloads. Everything went down it's throat and back out just fine.

Went to the range today to rent a couple of guns. So I wind up shooting a G26 and an XD 4" Service Model, .40 cal, 50 rounds in each.
    Both guns shot well but the XD jammed up too many times to count. Now if I'm causing the problem why not one problem with the Glock?
    I'm in the market for another CCW as my M&P is on its way back to S&W.
    I have been trying to dislike the Glocks but they just won't let me.
    A G19 is on my short list.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links