Glock Questions

Glock Questions

This is a discussion on Glock Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not own a Glock and never shot one, mainly because they look too bulky to carry. However, I might be in the market ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock Questions

Glock Questions

I do not own a Glock and never shot one, mainly because they look too bulky to carry. However, I might be in the market for a .45acp and was considering the 36/30.

My question is around the stigma of Glocks. Are they really that much more reliable than other Semi's?? I am going of what I have read but it seems to be a real consensus that they are one of the most reliable guns made, but why?? I mean the mechanism is basically the same compared to other semi's why are they not subject to the issues that other companies are?? or Are they just as subject and it's just a misconception of mine they are superior? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I do not own a Glock and never shot one, mainly because they look too bulky to carry. However, I might be in the market for a .45acp and was considering the 36/30.

My question is around the stigma of Glocks. Are they really that much more reliable than other Semi's?? I am going of what I have read but it seems to be a real consensus that they are one of the most reliable guns made, but why?? I mean the mechanism is basically the same compared to other semi's why are they not subject to the issues that other companies are?? or Are they just as subject and it's just a misconception of mine they are superior? Thanks.
    Another thread that could go on for days... weeks... years...

There really are two sides of the fence on this one, but almost everyone is inside the fence on the Glock side.

As someone who does not like Glocks, I will say, it has nothing to do with the gun, it's my hand. I'm the first to admit it. My hand is prejudiced against Glocks. It clearly favors 1911's, XD's and revolvers. I've given up on trying to rid my hand of it's prejudices and learned to live with its shortcomings.

Glocks are fantastically reliable. There are a ton of parts out there for it (factory, after market, upgrades, etc) and there are a lot of Glocks out there in general. Glock aficionados are easy to find and lots and lots of gunsmiths are familiar with them.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Glock's are well designed to get rid of dirt and other bad stuff on their own, not to say that you should not clean them. I know there will be people out there that don't clean theirs, but I'm not one of them.

Glock's are also very easy to completely disassemble and replace worn parts, so it is very easy to inspect and fix any problems that might be an issue before they break, and in some cases like the trigger spring can break and the gun can still shoot - if you learn how.

I know there are more things, but those are a couple of the easier things I can think of right now.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

A Glock may be ugly, but it's practical for conceal carry, always reliable, (with good ammo), and very deadly. I have a Glock 30 and carry it on many different sports activities. You can't go wrong with a Glock.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    . Are they really that much more reliable than other Semi's??
    Yup.

why??
    Remember that most guns are mass produced as quickly and cheaply as possible to get the job done. (This is not to say guns are low quality, but it is just the way almost everything you own these days is made)

Design: The Glock action is really quite clever in how it works and how simple it is to operate. Look over their site to learn more. I don't think anyone will complain too much if i say the design is more tolerant with a lack of cleaning and abuse.

Simplicity: Glocks have about 34 parts. The less parts something has (and the less moving parts) it become simpler to put the pistol together and make it work. Also the less things there are to break.

New materials: The polymer frame is pretty worry free and the steel surfaces are well coated using good anti corrosion methods. Clever use of these materials can be great! (but bad use is a disaster) Think about what Toyota and Honda have done to cars in the last 20 years!
    Glocks are all made by a single company in Austria. Austrian manufacturing is generally quite precise and consistent. Compare this to something like the 1911 style that is made by all sorts of people- some great some not. It's really not fair to judge great pistol designs by their crappy manufacturing.

I love 1911's too, but they are a little complicated
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    If glocks fit your hand and you can get by the ugly look you have one of the finest service pistols in the world that's been copied by Springfield with the XD
    and S&W with the MP line.As ccw becomes increasing popular and manufacters race to garner
    market share we all will have more choices as what best selling features are copied and improved on.Personally,I don't care which is better that the other as
    long as it works when I pull the trigger.

IF you do go for the Glock... look for a 30SF that sould "fit" better than a 30 and have 4 more rounds than the 36. Just an idea.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

I have tried to make mine jam,I can't.It will eat any kind of ammo I feed it.I have replaced trigger parts that I wouldn't even try on any other gun.I am or was a 1911 person but if I could only take one gun when the SHTF it would be my G-19 not my kimber and the kimber is a darn good gun.I wouldn't trade or sell my glock for any reason,besides there are 9mm bullets all over the world.sj

Administrator
    Everyone has done a pretty good job covering the bases, but I just wanted to add this; Dont be fooled by Glocks looks. They carry better than just about anything out there, they are super easy to carry all day long with a decent rig.
    "Just blame Sixto"

WHich is the smallest G30, G36, G30SF?

Jwalker,

Not to be a joker but you can't possibly understand the Glock phenomenon until you own one. Back in the mid 90's I was a die-hard 1911 fan. Long story short I was talked into buying a Glock 23 by a buddy. That gun changed my entire shooting future. I still love my 1911's but the Glock has moved up to #1 in terms of the ultimate carry gun.

I've since given the 23 to an old girlfriend (stupid) but I currently own a 27 and a 19. Had a 21 but it was too big for my hand. These are seriously effective and user friendly tools. The most reliable handguns out of the box I have ever handled. If you're on the fence about getting one, get off it and drop the cash for one. I'll warn you though. You will want another soon after. The 36 is a good gun. The 30 is VERY popular. Check your hand fit before you buy though.

Another hint. Check the 19/23 series too. The Glock 19 is probably Glocks finest achievement.

The 36 is much "slimmer" (single stack) than the 30. The 30 is double stack, short grip and the 30SF is a 30 with a slightly smaller in girth grip.

Overall small? 36

"fatter" but about the same size is the 30.

The 30 SF has a smaller backstrap to allow for a better grip.

I tried a 21 in my hand and I WANT to avoid the 21 SF - or I may buy it. The 30 SF would be optimal since it still has 10+1 over the 36 which has I believe 6+1.

Those 4 could save your life and all you do is have it be be about the size of a 19=23 thickness.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

kpw
    Height and length are similar but the G36 is thinner being a single column magazine design. I like a lot of different pistols but I've always come back to the Glock in one form or another. With their light weight and flat sides they make great carry pistols. If it has a downfall it's that it is boring to hold and play with. No levers or hammers. Makes dry fire practice kinda boring.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

If the 36, is technically the smallest, why isnt talked about more?? I mean to me, it seems the 30 is more popular?

Back to reliability, I was heavily considering a Taurus PT745 becuase of the price and the small size but now I am conidering the 30/36. Anyone try to taurs? How does it compare the the 45glocks?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links