Shoot Reloads thru KelTec PF9 or Kahr CW9/PM9?

This is a discussion on Shoot Reloads thru KelTec PF9 or Kahr CW9/PM9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is anyone on here successfully cycling less-than-perfect reloads through a Kel-Tec PF9 or Kahr CW9 or PM9? I was thinking I'd like to get one ...

Thread: Shoot Reloads thru KelTec PF9 or Kahr CW9/PM9?

Shoot Reloads thru KelTec PF9 or Kahr CW9/PM9?

Is anyone on here successfully cycling less-than-perfect reloads through a Kel-Tec PF9 or Kahr CW9 or PM9?

I was thinking I'd like to get one of these, probably the Kel-Tec (feels better in my hand). However, the only way I really afford to practice regularly is by shooting reloads, and oftentimes a case wall will bulge a little on one side where the bullet is inserted into the case. The family Glock 19 & my buddy's Beretta and Walther both gobble 'em up, but I figured the smaller guns will be more finicky.

Gun show is this weekend and I'm feeling ready to buy - I don't have a gun for regular concealed carry yet, and it's high time I fix that.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Maybe someone is not reloading correctly? There shouldn't be bulges in the case wall after reloading/resizing. For more info on reloading , check out our reloading forum.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

pregnant bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Maybe someone is not reloading correctly? There shouldn't be bulges in the case wall after reloading/resizing. For more info on reloading , check out our reloading forum.
    +1

I would dispose of, rather than fire, any round that I can see is deformed. I shoot reloads in my CW9 every once in awhile. While some people have complained about their Kahr's being finicky, mine has not been (nor were my previous Kahr's).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Are you reloading correctly? Belling the case before inserting the bullet and making sure the bullet is centered in the case before seating?

Sounds like you are doing something wrong and expecting the gun to compensate for it.

You are really asking for a problem.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

I'm talking a miniscule bulge - maybe bulge isn't the right word - you can see it in the way the light hits the brass, right where the lead ends and air/powder space begins. Caused by the bullet being a slightly larger diameter than the case inside diameter. Usually it's even all around the case, but sometimes it is more pronounced on one side. (probably from the bullet not sitting quite level in the belling before the seating die comes down)

Either that, or perhaps post-sizing would clean it up, but there's no station for a post-sizing die on my Dillon square deal b.

As for asking for trouble, I guess 3 FTF's in 1,000 rounds loaded & fired thus far doesn't really strike me as being that badly loaded. (all FTF's were in new 1911, so I don't know if they were even necessarily ammo-related) I think I've created the impression that these are a lot nastier looking than they are. (I'd post a picture if I had a camera)

I'll ask about it in the reloading forum someday when I have more time, but I'm still concerned with my original question.

I agree what are you reloading with,sounds like if the case is bulging you may have the crimp die adjusted too far down crushing the case.
    As far as original question don't shoot bad reloads if bullet depth is too deep could result in over pressure of case,if you don't have a bullet puller get one .
    I have resized overexpanded cases by removing depriming pin in bullet sizing die and running bullets back thru

If I understand the description of what he's seeing, I don't think he's doing anything wrong and there's probably nothing wrong with the ammo (other than the brass may have a little shorter life). I've seen this several times, usually on pistol rounds where the sizing die has a carbide insert. I use mainly Hornady dies but have several RCBS, Lyman and Lee dies also. My thought is that the die makers sometimes undersize by a small amount (.001 or so) to guarantee reliable chambering of your reloaded rounds. When the bullet is inserted into the case, it spreads the case back out to the bullet's diameter which can be seen in the right lighting conditions. I've never had this cause any problems.

To the OP -- back off your crimping die to the point where no crimp is being applied and see if the "bullet line" is still visible. If it is, then I don't think you have a problem. If, however, what your seeing only occurs after applying the crimp, then something isn't adjusted correctly or you need to move to a separate crimping die. You can also try just sizing a case and then mic it and compare to the given dimensions for the cartridge. If slightly under, then your sizing die is just undersizing a little and nothing you can do other than try a different set of dies.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Hoss, I think you understand the situation I'm talking about, and your explanation makes sense. The line is definitely there before the crimp is applied.

My stuff is set up in a buddy's basement, so I don't get real regular access to it, but I was able to go over today, and switch the press over to 9mm, dial it in, and load my first square deal b 9mm rounds (previous ones were with my buddy's die and press) - and I figured out I don't have this issue with 9mm, (but I -do- have it with .45acp), and the other press (don't remember what the dies were, it is my friend's). My 9mm cartridges look really nice.

I'll have to sit down with the micrometer when I go to load some more .45, and compare my specs to some factory cartridges and cartridge data, and see what I uncover. Maybe I will get another .45 sizing die for the SDB and see if that changes things.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!
    -Cole

Lead Moderator
    The point being , if you (or someone else ) is reloading incorrectly it could cause potentially dangerous conditions. Better to find out now if the reloads are correct , than have the gun blow apart in your hand.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yeah, my buddy warned me about how seating depth affects case volume and pressure, as well as all the more obvious warnings I read in the Lyman book, but it looks like I've got a lot to learn.

I didn't think about it until now, but I've got a telephone number for a local fellow who is supposed to be a very experienced reloader. Maybe he can look at my cartridges and tell me what he thinks.

My reloads work fine in my P3AT and my CW9. I shot a two inch group at 10 yards with my P3AT , although it does kick the brass way out back, and 2 inch groups with my CW9 at 15 yards. Steve48

FWIW, I see that line you are talking about in all of the factory 45 loads, too.

I use the Dillon 550b and even if you don't put the bullet on the belled case straight, the shape of the die forces it to straighten out, leaving the line even around the case.

I tend to put as little a bell as possible on the powder/bell die. Just enough to easily set a bullet on it at the next station.

I don't see how they could be cockeyed, but I haven't tried the Square Deal, yet.

Links