10mm Bobtail 1911 Commander project

This is a discussion on 10mm Bobtail 1911 Commander project within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got to fondle an Ed Brown Cobra Carry at my local funstore. I decided I must have a bobtail commander...but $2400 is out ...

Thread: 10mm Bobtail 1911 Commander project

So I got to fondle an Ed Brown Cobra Carry at my local funstore. I decided I must have a bobtail commander...but $2400 is out of reach right now. I dug around on the net and found that Dan Wesson sells a similar gun for about half the price and that the bobtail parts are available from Brownells. I decided I needed a DIY project, so I'm going to build myself a Commander. An Essex railed frame in Stainless Steel was ordered from Brownells along with the bobtail parts. My idea is that I'll try my hand at bobtailing a bare frame. If I ruin it, its less of a loss. If it turns out good, I'll buy the rest of the parts and finish the project.

Yesterday the frame and bobtail kit showed up, so last night I carefully drilled the frame and then shaped it with a grinder and sanding disc. It turned out very well. I've never attempted anything like this before. I'll probably get brave now and do a bobtail on my Sig GSR. I also found a 10mm/.40SW stainless Commander slide on GB last night...so phase 2 of the project is underway. I figure the project will cost about half of what the Cobra Carry price is and maybe a bit more that the Dan Wesson gun...but I'm looking forward to learning about 1911s and building it myself. I'll post pics when it's finished.

You should have just bough the Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander in 10mm.....they ROCK (my EDC is a .45 version)!!!!!!!! (but it is fun to do a build, I am addicted to building AR's)

that is going to be a handful!!

I built a full sized model many years ago. If I remember right, the Colt Delta Elite in 10mm is different. I don't remember exactly how though.

I do know it was "stout."

Update:
    I got the slide and barrel from Fusion Firearms as well as most of the small parts. Just about everything required fitting, but it all works and is nice and tight. I'm just waiting on the mag release and some sights and it will be ready to test fire. I'll post pics when it's done.

Administrator
    Post of pics as you progress too! Its always neat to watch how things evolve... it will also keep you motivated on the project.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Unhappy

I'll work on posting some pics soon. I couldn't wait, so I took it to the range at lunch and single loaded a few rounds. I fired it for function. Recoil wasn't bad, but the gun locked up after the 5th round and I had to beat it apart with a plastic mallet. I suspect that my slide to frame fit is too tight and some debris jammed it. I got it apart and lubed the slide rails with valve grind compound and worked the slide back & forth. It's much smoother now and is loosened up a bit. Hopefully the rest of the parts will be in next week and I can try it again with a full magazine.

Here's a pic so far...
    Attached Images

Well, I took it back to the range today after throating the barrel and laping the slide. It ate 50 rounds without choking. Hopefully the sights and a few other pieces will be in next week and I can finish it up.

That's a cool build. A railed 10mm is pretty rare as far as I know.

What small parts did you use for the build and what make slide did you pick up?

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Cool. I'm working on a Kimber Pro Carry 10mm project still. Bobtail and hard chrome are all that's left.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

It is an Essex frame from Brownells. The slide, barrel, magazines, sights, and some of the pins and springs are from Fusion Firearms. The hammer & sear are Chip McCormick while the safety and mainspring housing are from Ed Brown. The grips are VZs. I glass beaded the slide and frame so they match.

I like the idea of a 1911 style in 10mm. I've never fired a 10mm and would love to shoot a few rounds in the original loading. What is it like to shoot the 10mm (in the original full-charge loadings) compared to full charge 45auto?
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    Yesterday the frame and bobtail kit showed up, so last night I carefully drilled the frame and then shaped it with a grinder and sanding disc. It turned out very well.

Looks great! I want this done to my 1911, but I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a local gunsmith that wants to do it.

Did you not use Brownell's part no. 087-953-000 Bobtail Installation Jig?

Did you form the grips yourself?
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

VIP Member
    Good Luck. Keep us posted.

It is cool to hear that someone has a interest in the 10mm cartridge for a gun project. I think the 10mm is one of the most versatile calibers going today. You can shoot an IDPA match one day, go deer hunting the next day and that night have it ready to go for a home defense gun. It is a shame that more people don't realize this fact.

Links