Sccy Cpx-1 ???? Anyone ?????

This is a discussion on Sccy Cpx-1 ???? Anyone ????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone has shot one of these or owns one ? Your opinion on it would be appreciated . My favorite shop ...

Thread: Sccy Cpx-1 ???? Anyone ?????

Sccy Cpx-1 ???? Anyone ?????

I was wondering if anyone has shot one of these or owns one ? Your opinion on it would be appreciated . My favorite shop just got a shipment of them . It's small for a 10 shot 9mm !!! I'm thinking of getting one just for the hell of it but would like to hear from people who have fired one or carry a SCCY CPX-1 ............anyone ?anyone? Thanks for the input .

2. Remove Ads

cj
    Look for information on "Skyy" as well as "SCCY"...they recently underwent a legally-forced name change.

Generally, there aren't too many people that I've heard that are impressed with them, but I haven't personally ever owned one. If you're looking at that size, consider Kel-Tec's options as well, the design which Sccy is basically a clone of. I believe the P-11, a 9mm with 10, and even 12, round magazines available is similar to the model you're asking about, and has a longer track record.

It's a nicer finished P11 with a slightly better trigger. I had one for a bit, but sold it. I can't deal with those long double action trigger pulls. If that doesn't bother you, it's a rather concealable 9mm pistol (can just about be pocket carried imo).

I didn't have any reliability issues, but I only put like 50 rounds through it. Not sure abut the next guy.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

yes that is a copy of the p-11 same size same price the kel-tec has mags with 10 and 12 rounds. also kel-tec has life time warranty and a good customer service. my p-11 went back to the factory after 4500 rounds with a broken ejector and came back a new gun with my old serial # and my old slide. do some research and you will see about the skyy

Though I have no personal experience with SCCY pistols, everything I've read would make me look elsewhere if I were looking in that size/price range. The Bersa or Kel-Tec seem like better alternatives to me.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thumbs down Sccy: Reliability

My wife and I have owned two. They were sold.

We found them well made for the price, and friendly to shoot. Nicer fit and finish than KT's generally. Small, light weight, and a good CW profile overall. However, they both went back to the factory at least twice, one went three times. The reliability was poor, and we never developed the confidence in the platform to use them as concealed weapons. Numerous users have had similar problems, and the safety has been the subject of many debates.

The failures included FTF, FTE, cracked rails, etc. Factory service was generally prompt (Lifetime Warranty), however, the problems just never seemed to get completely resolved to my level of satisifaction.

We both have G 26's now.

I would spend significant time here before buying:

Sccy Forum :: Index

Many have found the Sccy to their liking, and I hoped to when we purchased them, but I personally never got over its shortcomings.

I am now lusting over a Ruger LCP...........

Hope this helps.

I've sold quite a few of them. Every time a customer has complained that theirs wouldn't run, I've been unable to reproduce the failure in test firing. Also, while the ergonomics, IMO, totally suck, I've found that diligent handling will allow the pistol to shoot decently accurate groups. I won't say that there aren't some legitimate failures happening to some folks, but I believe that some people are limp-wristing these pistols, putting their thumb against the slide (slowing the slide), and also inadvertently thumbing the safety on. We've had one that sheared a frame rail, which Sccy replaced for us, but they replaced our stainless slide gun with a used-looking blued gun. For this failure, and the way in which they reimbursed us (with a used-looking substitute gun), I have decided not to order anymore CPX-1's. A little more money will get a person a much better gun.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

I believe the FTE/FTF's were reported by a significant enough population they can't merely be dismissed as limp-wristing. Ours produced great groups consistently, BTW, so it wasn't just ergonomics or lousy shooting. The thumb/slide issue produced enough pictures of blisters, as did the safety issue, that I truly got tired of seeing them. Neither of us ever suffered those maladies.

Both of ours suffered the cracked slide rail, among other problems.

I think this kind of sums it up well.......

I have decided not to order anymore CPX-1's

I have had one for a little over a year now, with only a 2 didget serial number;
    After the fist couple of mags, I have not had any problems whatever. The fit, finish, and trigger is way ahead of the P11. And the safety is easily 'fixed' with a small dot of double sticky tape under the safety lever; oh, and i've got around 1200 rounds thru it now. 95% of those being reloads.
    Last edited by dannyabear; March 8th, 2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: add info

Well I have to say THANKS for the input & opinions . I have alot of LE friends that have purchased the PF9 which I personally don't like . I was just curious about the CPX 1 . I 'll probally not buy one after what I read so far . If I did it wouldn't be for carry .

Links