What am I doing wrong?

This is a discussion on What am I doing wrong? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range yesterday for first time w/my PM9 and P3AT and every time I loaded a magazine, put the mag in the gun ...

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Went to the range yesterday for first time w/my PM9 and P3AT and every time I loaded a magazine, put the mag in the gun and pulled the slide the bullet 1st round got stuck. I had to really fiddle with it to get the slide to close and each time it finally did but I couldn't figuere out was I was doing wrong. I mean load the mag put in the gun, pull the slide should be good to go right? After the first time, I made sure that each round was properly seated in the mag but it still did it. Since thins happened with both guns, I am assuming I am doing something wrong, any ideas??

2. Remove Ads

Are you pulling the slide back all the way?
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Are you limp wristing the slide?? Pull back and let fly, don't try to baby it.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Because of the short throw of the slide on both of these guns, the recoil springs tend to be fairly heavy. Because of this the manual that came with your Kahr suggests that you do not rack the slide like a full-sized handgun. You should lock the slide back using the slide lock, insert the magazine, and then release the slide using the slide lock. Because the P3AT does not have a slide lock, obviously you cannot do this, so you must rack the slide as quickly as possible without "riding it." You want to make your actions are as similar to the actual firing of a handgun as possible. But read your Kahr manual, and it should tell you something similar. Typically what you are experiencing is normal, and should not happen during live fire, once you have completed loaded a round into the chamber.

Hope this helps!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

VIP Member
    I'm pretty sure the P3AT doesn't, but does the slide on your PM9 lock back after the last round? If so does it still hang when slide release is used? If not, or it doesn't have a slide release I would suspect as deadeye said you are not pulling slide all the way back. Next time pull it back as far as you can and make sure you hold it for a second, to make sure yoou are all the way back before releasing it.

For the Kahr, I was not locking the slide. I loaded the mag with the slide closed but that sounds like a good idea and should work. I may also have been riding it or not aggressively pulling it back and letting it fly so I will try those 2 options, thanks.

For the Keltec, again maybe I wasn't letting the slide go aggressively enough becuase I do know it finally closed when I gave it a little tug.

In either case, once the mag is in and should it get stuck again, dropping the mag would'nt be helpful would it?? Just want to clarify. Sounds like my problem is definatley either babying it a bit or lock the slide first.

Were you riding the slide? Pull it back and just let go of it, dont ride it back in with your fingers slowing it down. Using the slide lock and releasing it eliminates that problem until you train yourself properly!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Administrator
    Try storing your magazines fully loaded for a few weeks if they are brand new.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I know my P3AT needs to cycle hard on the first round. It's not unusual for the first round to get stuck on the ramp. As stated pull back back hard and let it fly! Do a fluff & buff on it too, will help. P3AT's also don't like to be dirty, so it may start sticking while shooting at the range more than several mags worth.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    This is a common issue with the Kahr PM series.

I always load the first round by using the slide release, and that works for me.

Another method is to pinch the rear of the slide in "slingshot" fashion using the thumb and index finger of the non-firing hand, and PUSH the pistol sharply forward with the firing hand. Just basically push it sharply out of the grasp of the "slingshot" hold, so that it SNAPS forward.

The slide release method is easier to do correctly.

From Kahr's web site:
    Q. My firearm fails to chamber the first round when I pull back the slide and release it. What is wrong?

A. It is likely you are either failing to pull the slide fully back or you are riding the slide as you release it. We recommend that you lock back the slide, insert the clip, and release the slide with the slide stop. This will require that you carry a load in the chamber for self defense purposes. However, the passive safety system will prevent the pistol from firing unless the trigger is pulled, even if the gun is dropped. If you would prefer not to carry a round in the chamber, you may remove a round from the magazine. This alters the angle of the bullet and will allow it to chamber even if you ride the slide.
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Yes the P3at does have this problem IF you are limp wristing the handgun AND you dont pull it all the way back and let it go foward on its own power, my wife has this problem and got into the habbit of using her left hand to foward assist the slide, I tried to explain to her that the problem was with her not griping and holding the weapon secure when she pulled the slide back, it does not happen when I use the P3at, Very often, but it still happens when I forget to concentrate on it.
    As you know the P3at does not have a slide stop, this is not really a problem if you can get comfortable holding the weapon firmly in your firing hand, then while pulling the slide all the way back with your non firing hand you release the slide, if you have to move your firing hand foward to accomplish this then do it, (reason I am saying this is you may have a weaker non firing hand, such as my wife, as long as you dont baby the slide it should solve the problem, if not shoot me a pm, Ill send you a video showing how I stop this problem)

QK and Rustynuts are right on for the kel-tec advice. The first time I shot my p3at (out of the box, no additional lube or cleaning) almost every 1st and sometimes 2nd round hung up on the way in. Trying to ease the slide forward at all guaranteed it would happen. Letting it slam home helped some. Loading the mags fully for a week and doing the fluff and buff and I had zero problems the 2nd trip to the range. For fluff and buff details check out KTOG.COM (or .org or .net, I forget).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

+1 on the F & B...and don't baby the .380, I've never had a problem with mine.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links