Condition code for a 1911?

This is a discussion on Condition code for a 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tegemu "Not comfortable carrying in Cond 1" --- With 3 safeties? Thumb Safety, Grip Safety and nothing to pull the trigger. Why ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Condition code for a 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    "Not comfortable carrying in Cond 1" --- With 3 safeties? Thumb Safety, Grip Safety and nothing to pull the trigger. Why be uncomfortable?
    I didn't say it made sense. Same reason why I worry that I left the garage door open, even though I checked it twelve times. OCD, or something!

It is certainly NOT rational to think that, with three safety measures, a hammer would fall on a live round...but years of study has taught me that ANYTHING can happen once. Probably the same reason I still buy ONE lottery ticket each time...even though I know the odds are DRASTICALLY against me winning, it just might happen.

Sadly, the chances of an AD with a 1911 are probably higher than me winning the big one!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

2. Remove Ads

I've had a 1911 for quite a while, but Kansas has had a CCH law for only a bit over a year. A couple things helped me get my head around Condition 1. The first is a good molded holster that has an extension on the body side, to keep the thumb safety from rubbing on you. The other thing was realizing how much time I have spent hunting with an 870, a double barrel, or a bolt rifle. Round chambered, on safe, without the added grip safety. I unload pointed into the corner of my safe, which sits on top of my concrete slab floor.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Sadly, the chances of an AD with a 1911 are probably higher than me winning the big one!
    Not if you keep your bugger hook off the bang switch!

I think the chances of an AD with a 1911 are not greater than with any other gun, provided the gun is in good working condition and hasn't been monkeyed with by a kitchen-table gunsmith.

The chances of a ND, however, are the same for any gun.

As soon as one starts relying on mechanical safeties rather than the stuff between one's ears, a boo-boo is gonna happen. Hopefully, nobody else is around when it does.

-JT

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I think I would rather carry a cocked and locked 1911 in good shape, then to depend on a Glock trigger safety. As long as you have a well maintained gun and good holster you should be fine.

does the interior of your safe have a bunch of soft padding in it? Reason I ask is the corners of your safe make a 90 degree angle, if the bullet does not fragment on impact on a theoretical ND you may be seeing a bullet returning in the same direction it is fired. Thats why most bullet catchers are filled with sand not just metal, to absorb the impact not just redirect it.

no insult intended just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I unload pointed into the corner of my safe, which sits on top of my concrete slab floor.

Tom
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Maybe a couple of phone books would be in order.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    My father was taught to carry in condition 2 during the Second World War.

He sort of passed it on to me, and I will occasionally carry that way, although I usually do not carry a 1911 style pistol.................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links