KAHR MK 40 or Ruger LCP

KAHR MK 40 or Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on KAHR MK 40 or Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The MK40 is a fine pistol, I have the MK9. However it is a little heavy to pocket carry for most people. I do it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KAHR MK 40 or Ruger LCP

KAHR MK 40 or Ruger LCP

The MK40 is a fine pistol, I have the MK9. However it is a little heavy to pocket carry for most people. I do it from time to time, but not for very long.

I have a cheapo pocket holster, so I cannot make a suggestion there.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

KAHR MK 40 or Ruger LCP

I'm debating on which auto to purchase for an everyday deep concealed weapon. I would like to carry the pistol in my front pocket for best concealment. I have been thinking about the mk40 but am concerned after reading many poor reviews about the KAHR PM 40. Is the mk 40 more reliable than the PM 40? Is the MK 40 small enough to carry in the front pocket comfortably? I was also considering the Ruger LCP but am concerned that it might be similar to the Keltec P3at with problems. Which front pocket holster would be best for either of the two? Originally posted this in the wrong forum, sorry!

MK40 is heavy for pocket carry

I have the Kahr MK9 which is similar in size and weight to the MK40, and I believe it is too heavy (24 ounces empty, perhaps 26 ounces loaded) for pocket carry. It is excellent for belt carry because it is very small and hides easily, and weight doesn't matter as much on the belt. I have found the MK9 to be very reliable - at least mine is.

If you have to use pocket carry, I'd recommend a lighter weight gun such as the polymer .380 you mentioned or an airweight J frame revolver. I have the S&W 642 revolver in .38 special, and it weighs 15 ounces empty so it goes well in a pocket. Here are the MK9 and the 642 shown together:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I carry an MK40 every day. The MK is a fine handgun. I don't pocket carry it. It is a stainless steel handgun so it can be a bit heavy. Personally I like the weight, I find it helps with the recoil. I carry it iwb and it simply disappears in my high noon bare asset holster. I find that a snubbie is a bit too big for me to pocket carry, but lots of people do it everyday, but then again, I am not a pocket carry kinda guy. The mk40 and the pm40 are totally different guns, and I would not take any fears of the pm and lay them on the MK. I have never had any type of problem of mine. As far as the LCP goes, well, remember when buying it, it is a brand new gun for Ruger. Brand new designs may have some difficulties, and they have no track record, proven or unproven. You may get a great handgun, but then again, you may get a flawed design, you just never know. Personally, I will sit back, watch the LCP for a years or so, then go ahead and get one once it has proven itself, and once it becomes a bit easier to find in the store.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I say go for the LCP if it's going to be in a pocket......but I am biased because I am going to snatch up the first LCP I see anyhow
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Administrator
    Who can recommend purchasing a tool to save ones life before its even out?

I'd buy the Kahr over almost anything else any day; except I'd buy the 9mm long before I bought the 40.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have an MK 9. Only have 50rnds through it so far but it seems to be real smooth and accuracy is good.
    RickH

I bought an MK40 based on my experience with the MK9. Awesome little gun (the MK9). My experience was pretty bad with the MK40 and it started happening after the stainless steel guide rod upgrade(s). Turns out the MK40 was damaging the pedestal base on the guide rod. It was an area inside the frame where the guide rod pedestal sit, was not machined out fully. Unfortunately even after that was repaired by the factory it still would not cycle correctly and I traded it in. to bad because it was very accurate for its size, much like the MK9.

Thanks for the info from all of you. Much appreciated!

One more voice of agreement. My MK9 is great, but too heavy for me to pocket-carry comfortably. You'd better buy the MK AND the LCP.

Stick with the reliable one...the 642. Bottom feeders will fail on you...usually at the worst of times.

I can't speak for the Ruger. I know they make a great weapon. I do carry the mk40 (pocket holster and IWB) as my dress dictates. Since I haven't held an LCP so I couldn't tell you the difference. However, one rule of thumb I use when carrying; Always carry the biggest and most reliable weapon that you feel comfortable carrying. The mk40 is on the heavy side, but my trade off was the absorbed recoil at the range. I always practice heavily with what I carry and the mk40 fit the bill for me. I like the trigger pull and my duty weapon is a glock .40 so I was used to the snap of the round. Go with what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Who can recommend purchasing a tool to save ones life before its even out?

I'd buy the Kahr over almost anything else any day; except I'd buy the 9mm long before I bought the 40.
    The LCP is out. Just not in every gun shop yet. It had been in the hands of a lucky for for 3 weeks now.

Heck, my K40 was a recoil handfull when running defensive .40 S&W ammo. I agree that the MK Kahr is a great alternative for your application, but I would go with the 9mm model.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Good Luck

Good luck in finding a Ruger LCP. I have been trying and can't find one yet any where.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links