Round Two with the M&P9C

This is a discussion on Round Two with the M&P9C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have 2 M&P's. 9c and .357 sig. The 9c has about 6,500 rounds thru it and the .357 sig has about 1500. They both ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round Two with the M&P9C

Thumbs up

I have 2 M&P's. 9c and .357 sig. The 9c has about 6,500 rounds thru it and the .357 sig has about 1500. They both have been flawless. Shot everything wwb, remmington umc, blazer brass, aluminum, ranger, corbon. You name it.. Not one FTF (feed or fire), FTE, stove pipe, jam.. Just a great unit I'd be willing to endorse to my closest friends and also my wife and I have..

Hard to beat IMHO. Now if they'd only come out with that .357 compact. If they don't soon there may be a sig 250 in my future.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I agree about not carrying a gun until it's proven itself 100% reliable. This is why I am not carrying it (as of yet). I continue to carry Wilson and my Kimber CDP and until I can put a couple hundred rounds through the M&P with no failures to do anything then I won't be carrying the gun.

I do have faith in the M&P. It's a great concept, great design and a LOT of people really do LOVE it (especially women). I don't think S&W will be giving up on it any time soon, but it's a good thing it has a lifetime warranty!

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you evaluating the Glock 19 or 26 before going with the S&W M&P?

Why didn't you go with the Glock?

S&W Forum Survey: 19% Problems

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    Don't think it's the Rems. I've had slide locking problems w/WWB, Blazer, Independence and my carry ammo Ranger T's. Mags are starting to drop also.
    From the S&W forums:
    19% of new M&P owners had problems (from a survey).
    Some had to return the gun twice to fix the mag problem and if that didn't work the frame was replaced.

S&W mailed me a UPS overnight label and stated that they will fix the gun with no charge..... and I told them that I was not the original owner. So at least they are trying to make things right as I think they have a lot riding on the M&P models. This was my first semi (M&P9C)and shot pretty accurate for me. I really loved this gun but I've lost confidence for a CCW for now. Looking to purchase another gun for CC. So if you don't have a problem enjoy the gun!
    You are among the satisfied 81%.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you evaluating the Glock 19 or 26 before going with the S&W M&P?

Why didn't you go with the Glock?
    I was. It was too uncomfortable in the grip. My TINY fingers were resting on TOP of the finger groves of the frame making it VERY uncomfortable for a solid high grip. Even if the grip had been only slightly less "grooved" I probably would have gotten the G19.

The M&P just felt so much better in the hand.

I considered getting a gen 1 Glock but figured why not with the M&P.

If it weren't for the finger grooves I would be a Glock owner right now.

That's 1 in 5! Pretty extreme, at least from a Glock-ish point of view...

The grip on a glock is just shaped wrong for my hand, which is why I am looking at alternatives, but so far I am pretty nervous about most of the stuff I have heard about almost all of the small frames I have come across....
    Last edited by 2AMomma; March 11th, 2008 at 11:07 AM.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

2AMomma,

I think the 9c is a good gun, overall. I would encourage you to try a late production 9c making sure you have a later run serial number. What I can do for you, since mine is a good one, is PM you my SN with date of manufacture so you can make sure you can get one made after that. Smith will back you up on it. Mine is a great shooting and handling little gun. I'm not sorry I bought it. I think you would be happy with one.

Thanks Sarge, that is very kind of you! I would appreciate that! You can pm me here or on ksccw.com - I'm on both regularly!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

PM at'cha 2AMomma.

My .40c also so needed a little break in. But since the first 100rds, it has eaten everything that I have fed it. It is my EDC for 11mos now. Every time I go to the range I shoot it and over 1100rds now it has been perfect.
    I have shot it dirty and clean and still no problems. I didn't clean it out of the box and had a few FTF, and the slide locked back prematurely a couple of times, but after a good cleaning everything has work like it should since.
    BTW, my trigger gets better every time I shoot it, it needs a least a couple of hundred rds to feel good.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I was. It was too uncomfortable in the grip. My TINY fingers were resting on TOP of the finger groves of the frame making it VERY uncomfortable for a solid high grip. Even if the grip had been only slightly less "grooved" I probably would have gotten the G19.

The M&P just felt so much better in the hand.

I considered getting a gen 1 Glock but figured why not with the M&P.

If it weren't for the finger grooves I would be a Glock owner right now.
    Get the Glock of your choice and slowly and carefully sand the finger groves down till the gun is comfortable for you to grasp.

Poof.

Comfortable and reliable.

Happy?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Get the Glock of your choice and slowly and carefully sand the finger groves down till the gun is comfortable for you to grasp.

Poof.

Comfortable and reliable.

Happy?
    Nope... cause I don't want to have to sand my gun to make it comfortable.

Better yet, I don't think anyone should have to sand their gun to make it comfortable.

If Glock decided to turn the light on and understand that we all don't have the same hand and some of us can't comfortably grip a thick grip with wide, deep finger grooves, and made something a little more accommodating for the smaller fingered shooter, I'd be more than happy to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Nope... cause I don't want to have to sand my gun to make it comfortable.
    Better to have to use sand paper to make a handgun comfortable to shoot than have to keep sending it back to the manufacturer to get it reliable...

You can go to the extreme my instructor did with his M&P9, and chop it down yourself to a G19-size grip:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=8978

I wouldn't...but you can

-JT

Administrator
    Lets revisit one point real quick... Nobody is suggesting the the M&P is a bad gun. Its just S&W tradition to release pistols (polymer in particular) before all the bugs get worked out of them. By now, I'd think the simple issues that have popped up would have been fixed. I know they are in the fullsize version.
    I still wouldnt buy the 40 version in any size, still to many unresolved issues.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links